Resume normal speed

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
When ATC tells you to "resume normal speed" after being held back on a speed restriction during departure, is the pilot expected to resume the plane's normal operating speed for this phase of flight, or the speed on the SID (if one is being flown)?

Obviously I am no expert and do not have a great grip on legal interpretation but this is what I have observed (maybe Greg or Stacey et al will pop in here):
I have posted the PCG definition below for reference, although I'm sure youve seen it.

I think it means to resume the climb speed that you would normally use for that altitude, probably pretty close to what you were at before the restriction. If I was unable to follow a sid speed (if they occur?) before or after the restriction removal I would point that out to atc. (I guess you really shouldn't accept the clearance if you cannot comply with a mandatory star or sid speeds in the first place, until that is 'cleared up'! Many stars say expect to cross abcde at 1x000' and 200kts but that is not a clearance'.
I actually don't recall any on sids although lots of times they are on stars and you will hear, for the latter "comply with speeds on the star".

"Used by ATC to advise a pilot that previously issued speed control restrictions are deleted. An instruction to "resume normal speed" does not delete speed restrictions that are applicable to published procedures of upcoming segments of flight, unless specifically stated by ATC. This does not relieve the pilot of those speed restrictions whic'h are applicable to 14 CFR Section 91.117."

OK, since I was mentioned by name, here goes. ATC will not issue a speed clearance that is contrary to FARs. In otherwords you cannot exceed 250 below 10,000, or in Class B, or 200 below Class B, or, well you get the idea. The only exception to that is if the airplane cannot fly that slow. Only the big iron, such as a 747 would have that problem.

Resume normal speed is issued when the controller is no longer looking for separation from other traffic. There would no longer be a conflict. So at that point, you would fly the speed you would normally fly for that phase of flight.

And I don't recall seeing speed restrictions on DPs or SIDs. Doesn't meant there aren't a few that have them. I just haven't run across them yet.

Let'sgoflying! said:
I have posted the PCG definition below for reference, although I'm sure youve seen it.

"Used by ATC to advise a pilot that previously issued speed control restrictions are deleted. An instruction to "resume normal speed" does not delete speed restrictions that are applicable to published procedures of upcoming segments of flight, unless specifically stated by ATC. This does not relieve the pilot of those speed restrictions whic'h are applicable to 14 CFR Section 91.117."

Thanks, Dave, I had not seen it. That answers the question nicely (and, best of all, "officially"!).

Speed said:
I agree with Greg. :D

although out of Denver, I have had "maintain 290KIAS as soon as praticable" while climbing through 7000ft.

I also agree with Greg. :D

However, we were assigned "250 knots or greater" at 9000 feet yesterday on our way to APA. What's up with the "or greater"? Must've just been a brain fart. A couple minutes later we got "210 or greater" in an area I know is below the Class B. Oops. This guy had speed on his mind (bad pun)!

Greg Bockelman said:
... In otherwords you cannot exceed 250 below 10,000, or in Class B, or 200 below Class B, or, well you get the idea. The only exception to that is if the airplane cannot fly that slow. Only the big iron, such as a 747 would have that problem.

There's another exception you didn't mention - at one large class B I'm familiar with, the speed restriction (250KIAS below 10k) was waived for a long period of time (not sure if it still is, but I think so.) Lot of guys were climbing out above 250.

And I don't recall seeing speed restrictions on DPs or SIDs. Doesn't meant there aren't a few that have them. I just haven't run across them yet.

Me neither. I've seen "Expect... " on STARs and such but that's about it.

Ryan Ferguson said:
There's another exception you didn't mention - at one large class B I'm familiar with, the speed restriction (250KIAS below 10k) was waived for a long period of time (not sure if it still is, but I think so.) Lot of guys were climbing out above 250.

Was it Houston? I remember that, but I don't remember why they did that.

Back