Restless thread syndrome

JohnR

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Grrrrrrrr
When I click to go to the last post in a thread (that thing Kennyflys just figured out :D), the page jumps up and down two or three times when it loads. I can't override it by scrolling, it just jumps some more. It's very annoying, but I'm a big boy and I'll get by somehow.

The red board uses the same version of vBulletin and doesn't do that.

Firefox 2.0.0.3, WinXP

When I click to go to the last post in a thread (that thing Kennyflys just figured out :D), the page jumps up and down two or three times when it loads. I can't override it by scrolling, it just jumps some more. It's very annoying, but I'm a big boy and I'll get by somehow.

The red board uses the same version of vBulletin and doesn't do that.

Firefox 2.0.0.3, WinXP

Probably loading pictures.

It seems to do it regardless of the presence of pictures.

BTW, I resisted the i* nonsense for as long as I could. I didn't want to be a lemming, but WTF. :goofy:

There are always pictures - even if its just the avatars.

However, you can always try clearing out the browser cache. I don't think it will help, however. I see the same behavior sometimes and its just slow loading images most of the time.

Good shot of Tom Servo btw. :)

how do I find out what version of anything I have on a PC? I'm not totally clueless on PCs (Mac guy, bah), but I'm not sure how you do that.
EDIT: I realize I probably sound pretty clueless to you computer geniuses. haa

Last edited:
For information on your applications you click help and the "ABOUT xxxx" tab. It should show you the version you are using of that application. For some browsers, it pops up a webpage with all the details, others just put it in another window.
You might also find this under the "Control Panel" and "ADD/REMOVE Programs".
As to restless thread reactions, note that there are customized AVATARs which are larger than the standard. When they are part of that thread, the page needs to expand length and width of that avatar. You really only see this if the first poster has the custom avatar AND the picture is slow to load. If you are running cable or dsl, you get the jitters; dialup is slow enough you don't get the same behavior.

how do I find out what version of anything I have on a PC? I'm not totally clueless on PCs (Mac guy, bah), but I'm not sure how you do that.
EDIT: I realize I probably sound pretty clueless to you computer geniuses. haa
There used to be freeware available for MacOS 6, 7 & 8 specifically for providing all system and application information on that machine.

I don't know if any such thing exist now for either platform. But, if it does that would give you precisely what you want to know.

There are always pictures - even if its just the avatars.

However, you can always try clearing out the browser cache. I don't think it will help, however. I see the same behavior sometimes and its just slow loading images most of the time.

Good shot of Tom Servo btw. :)
Thanks, I'm more of a Crow fan, but Tom went better with iRobot.

I have "Clear Private Data" (including cache) set to "Every time I close Firefox." I guess it's just one of those things.

That might be why you see it so much then. You keep clearing out images and avatars that then have to be redownloaded.

What happens if go into a "jumpy" thread, then go back to the forum list and go back into the thread right away. Does it jump again?

That's exactly what happened with this thread. Even the emoticons took forever (ok, about 3 seconds) to load the first time I went here today, and this time the thread loaded instantly.

thanks for the "how to" response"
FWIW, this antique tube computer doesn't have the problems you guys are referring to about the slow load times, which is sort of a miracle for this thing.

For information on your applications you click help and the "ABOUT xxxx" tab. It should show you the version you are using of that application. For some browsers, it pops up a webpage with all the details, others just put it in another window.
You might also find this under the "Control Panel" and "ADD/REMOVE Programs".

And the "About xxxx" is usually the last item under the Help menu on the toolbar.

Back