Restaurant on field near NJ?

mattaxelrod

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Matt
Hey all,

I'd like to pack the family in the plane for Father's Day and fly to an airport with a restaurant on the field. Already been to MIV (excellent!) and I know there's one at LNS--is it good? Don't want to fly more than about an hour or so from Central Jersey.

Another thread said something about crabcakes at Georgetown, DE--is that rest. on the field?

Thanks!

mattaxelrod said:
Hey all,

I'd like to pack the family in the plane for Father's Day and fly to an airport with a restaurant on the field. Already been to MIV (excellent!) and I know there's one at LNS--is it good? Don't want to fly more than about an hour or so from Central Jersey.

Another thread said something about crabcakes at Georgetown, DE--is that rest. on the field?

Thanks!

LNS has a good Italian restaurant on the field, and Georgetown's (GED) restaurant is on the field also. I prefer the restaurant at GED, becasue you can get crab cakes. It is very good.

The restraint at LNS is excellent, we've eaten there twice. When I flew into Georgetown on my long solo cross country, I parked right in front of the restraint. Much to my dismay, I did not have time to eat, so all I could do was smell the wonderful smells, and watch all the cars pull into the parking lot full of people coming to the airport to eat.

My airport restaurant list:

York, PA (THV) - Breakfast and lunch; closed Monday. Good food, moderate prices.

Blairstown, NJ (N31) - Breakfast and lunch. Good food, moderate prices. Nice park like feel to the airport & FBO.

Kutztown, PA (N31) - Breakfast, lunch, and I believe dinner. Good prices, quantity, and quality. Park on grass next to restaurant.

Smoketown, PA (S37) - Breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Great food, inexpensive prices. Restaurant is on parallel road at edge of airport, directly behind Dutchland Aviation (large hanger, sign on front), easy ~50 yd. walk.

Westminster, MD (DMW) - Breakfast, lunch, and maybe dinner. Okay food, moderate prices. Buffet breakfast.

Wilmington, DE (ILG) - Lunch and dinner. Italian menu, great food, upscale feel, moderate to somewhat pricey. Park at transient/terminal, go out gate, turn right, walk ~50 yds.

Hagerstown, MD (HGR) - Dinner, probably lunch. Great food, nice atmoshpere, somewhat pricey. Borrow the FBO car for a quick drive 1/2-way around the airport perimeter fence.

Lancaster, MD (LNS) - Breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Italian food. Great food but a bit pricey; nice atmosphere. Located in the terminal building, tell GRND you want to "park on the west ramp".

Milville, NJ (MIV) - Haven't been there in awhile. Was good food, inexpensive, breakfast & lunch.

Cambridge, MD (CGE) - Breakfast and lunch. Okay food, inexpensive.

edit note: I mistakenly picked up "Georgetown" as a name when the actual airport is Cambridge. My error and I have corrected the error above.

Last edited:
Ed Guthrie said:

York, PA (THV) - Breakfast and lunch; closed Monday. Good food, moderate prices.

The restaurant at York has reopened? Cool!

Ed Guthrie said:

Blairstown, NJ (N31) - Breakfast and lunch. Good food, moderate prices. Nice park like feel to the airport & FBO.

Kutztown, PA (N31) - Breakfast, lunch, and I believe dinner. Good prices, quantity, and quality. Park on grass next to restaurant.

Smoketown, PA (S37) - Breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Great food, inexpensive prices. Restaurant is on parallel road at edge of airport, directly behind Dutchland Aviation (large hanger, sign on front), easy ~50 yd. walk.

Westminster, MD (DMW) - Breakfast, lunch, and maybe dinner. Okay food, moderate prices. Buffet breakfast.

Wilmington, DE (ILG) - Lunch and dinner. Italian menu, great food, upscale feel, moderate to somewhat pricey. Park at transient/terminal, go out gate, turn right, walk ~50 yds.

Hagerstown, MD (HGR) - Dinner, probably lunch. Great food, nice atmoshpere, somewhat pricey. Borrow the FBO car for a quick drive 1/2-way around the airport perimeter fence.

Lancaster, MD (LNS) - Breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Italian food. Great food but a bit pricey; nice atmosphere. Located in the terminal building, tell GRND you want to "park on the west ramp".

Milville, NJ (MIV) - Haven't been there in awhile. Was good food, inexpensive, breakfast & lunch.

Georgetown, DE (GED) - Breakfast and lunch. Okay food, inexpensive.

Thanks for the comprehensive list! I'm going to save this for future reference. (leaning towards GED at this point)

Ed's got the resturants pretty well covered if you are going to fly for about an hour. Blairstown is my favorite, pretty scenery (just SE of Delaware water gap), great atmosphere and good food. Sussex (FWN) also has a decent diner just off the edge of the field.

Gary

The CAVU restaurant at Kobelt (N45) is open for dinner, sorry don't have the times. This airport used to be in disrepair, but the Runway has been repaved and is now in much better shape. I have been told the food is excellent, but haven't gotten there yet to try it. Also Warnoch house has reopened at Dutchess (POU). Food is good, park at the city ramp and walk thru the gate, real close.

mattaxelrod said:
Hey all,

Thanks!
A couple more for the list:

Wildwood/Cape May (real scenic flight in, I think the restaurant is now operated by the same people that run the one at MIV).

Sky Manor (Pittstown, NJ, world's best burgers).

Ocean City, NJ (scenic flight in, as well)

That's a good list of area restaurants.

Here's a few more:
7N8 Butter Valley, PA a small airstrip through the center of a golf course with a restaurant, just East of Reading, PA
N07 Lincoln Park, NJ more than the usual burgers at a small airport in Northern NJ
ESN Easton, MD popular with locals as well as pilots
CGE Cambridge, MD another Eastern Shore favorite .

mike21951 said:
CGE Cambridge, MD another Eastern Shore favorite .

Mike, you kicked my memory--I had Cambridge, MD, labeled "Georgetown, DE". No clue why, but I edited my previous post.

FYI-

There IS a resturant in the terminal at GED-Georgetown DE, another at 40N-Chester County PA

Tom-

mattaxelrod said:
Hey all,

I'd like to pack the family in the plane for Father's Day and fly to an airport with a restaurant on the field.

Thanks!

OK, report back! Where did you go? How was it?

-Skip

We all seem to like to eat! The really scary part is, I sat here listing restaurants in my head to recommend, only to see most of them up on the board. I seem to have eaten at most of the recommended places.

One note, if anyone is going to fly in for wings at Reading (RDG), the restaurant there is gone. Apparently, a victim of RDG losing it's commuter service.

I highly recommend www.100dollarhamburger.com. I frequently post my gastric experiences there, as do others.

Jim G

Skip Miller said:
OK, report back! Where did you go? How was it?

-Skip

Sorry to disappoint--the whole thing fell through. The clouds were just a bit full and low around here on Sunday, and I make it a point, when carrying the whole family, to simply have a perfect, flawless day. However, had a great Father's Day at home, and went flying by myself at night! Perfect, calm, and gorgeous.

So thanks anyway for the restaurant info, which I'll save for next time!

Back