Requestion IMC flight instruction as a basic PPL student

I backed my mental train up to post #30 and trying to understand who is actually qualified to give "instrument training" (beyond PPL 3hr requirement).
As noted above, those three hours are not "instrument training," but rather "flight training in a single-engine airplane on the control and maneuvering of an airplane solely by reference to instruments" -- a distinction which allows a CFI-ASE with no instrument instructor rating to give those three hours, i.e., to give all the training for PP-Airplane.
Here's what I got: (check me)
CFII is a misnomer
Correct.
A CFI who is qualified as an instructor in Single Engine Airplane (ASE) can instruct a candidate in ASE, provided said CFI is instrument rated and has passed the requisite instructor's practical test, demonstrating said qualification.
All candidates for CFI-Airplane must hold an Instrument-Airplane rating on their pilot certificate. However, that does not give them instrument instructor privileges. So, you're talking about someone with a CP-ASEL-IA and a CFI-ASE (but no IA on the CFI), right?
If I am good up until here, my question becomes: what needs to be stamped on the instructor certificate if said instructor ascended through qualifications as such:
PPL-ASEL
IA
CPL
Instructor (CFI)
That instructor (CFI) test will be for a particular instructor rating, just as the PP test was for the ASEL rating. I'll assume you really meant "Instructor-Airplane Single Engine (CFI-ASE)". At that point, the CFI can give training for PP-ASEL, CP-ASEL (except the required 10 hours of instrument flight training), flight reviews in ASEL aircraft, and complex training in ASEL aircraft. S/he may also be allowed to do HP/TW training, depending on his/her endorsements for those.
...then a test of ability to give instrument instruction
That would be the CFI-IA additional rating ride. Now s/he holds CFI-ASE-IA At that point, s/he can also give instrument flight training for the IR, IPC's, etc, in ASEL aircraft (no seaplanes, since s/he does not have an ASES rating on his/her pilot certificate).

Almost all of my private students log actual during initial training. Its a great benefit in my opinion. Have had a few that wanted to get IFR done asap because of their personal goals as pilots so we integrated the instrument along with the private. With the right student and a good curriculum it works great.

Almost all of my private students log actual during initial training. Its a great benefit in my opinion. Have had a few that wanted to get IFR done asap because of their personal goals as pilots so we integrated the instrument along with the private. With the right student and a good curriculum it works great.

Part 141?

As noted above, those three hours are not "instrument training," but rather "flight training in a single-engine airplane on the control and maneuvering of an airplane solely by reference to instruments" -- a distinction which allows a CFI-ASE with no instrument instructor rating to give those three hours, i.e., to give all the training for PP-Airplane.
Correct.
All candidates for CFI-Airplane must hold an Instrument-Airplane rating on their pilot certificate. However, that does not give them instrument instructor privileges. So, you're talking about someone with a CP-ASEL-IA and a CFI-ASE (but no IA on the CFI), right?
That instructor (CFI) test will be for a particular instructor rating, just as the PP test was for the ASEL rating. I'll assume you really meant "Instructor-Airplane Single Engine (CFI-ASE)". At that point, the CFI can give training for PP-ASEL, CP-ASEL (except the required 10 hours of instrument flight training), flight reviews in ASEL aircraft, and complex training in ASEL aircraft. S/he may also be allowed to do HP/TW training, depending on his/her endorsements for those.
That would be the CFI-IA additional rating ride. Now s/he holds CFI-ASE-IA At that point, s/he can also give instrument flight training for the IR, IPC's, etc, in ASEL aircraft (no seaplanes, since s/he does not have an ASES rating on his/her pilot certificate).
Got it. Thx Ron

I've never did any cloud busting or anything yet should do it soon been in a nasty storm recently but right underneath it and we waited in the air till it passed going above it would have been cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The best time to do this is during training for your IR. Then it is highly desirable. It's probably easier to fly IMC than with a hood. The hood restricts vision of the full panel, and is annoying.

Asked my CFI today after doing my first hour under the hood if we get the chance to do some real IMC I would be game. He said he had no issue with it, if the chance arises.

I don't think this is putting the cart in front. How many PPLs fly into clouds and lose it each year?

In fact, I say ramp it up. File or get a local IFR clearance and request a block altitude and airspace. Then let your student fly right into the soup and let him try to get out. If he gets turned aroundm great. If he loses it then get him out and do it again with coaching.

Super training I say. Something they might actually be able to use one day/night.

That's a great idea.

Part 141?

Doesn't have to be. There's nothing that says you can't do both the IR and the Private concurrently under part 61. Would be a lot of solo XC to meet the PIC XC requirements for the IR. Do the private check ride, then do the IR ride same day (or next day).

Back