Request suggestions re: Panel upgrade

tkerr

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
tkerr
Cross post from the red board:

A family member recently purchased a t-tailed lance. After pre-buy, there has been some time spent addressing issues identified during the prebuy (nosewheel housing, shimmy dampler, tank overhauls, etc.) Overall, the plane seems to be in excellent condition. They are considering investing some money in the (largely original) panel. The current panel which includes a century III autopilot. Budget is in the range of $18-30K though the lower end is preferable. Selling the plane and buying one with the avionics they want is not an option. I'd appreciate any suggestions pros/cons on what you all would do with this. My thoughts:

GTN 650 (can this work with the Century III and fly GPSS?) with install.
New audio panel (? GMA 340) with installation of 6-place intercom. (currently has pilot only audio)
Panel mount 510 for backup and weather.
+/- ? engine monitor?

Removal of the LORAN.

I have not figured out if I can post a picture, otherwise I could include a picture of the current panel.

Thanks in advance.

Before any choices in avionics, the first question to answer (in detail) is what type of flying will the family member be doing? If there's no IFR, there's really no reason for very expensive avionics. The audio panel is always useful, so that should be a definite. Everything else depends on the type of flying.

Cross post from the red board:

A family member recently purchased a t-tailed lance. After pre-buy, there has been some time spent addressing issues identified during the prebuy (nosewheel housing, shimmy dampler, tank overhauls, etc.) Overall, the plane seems to be in excellent condition. They are considering investing some money in the (largely original) panel. The current panel which includes a century III autopilot. Budget is in the range of $18-30K though the lower end is preferable. Selling the plane and buying one with the avionics they want is not an option. I'd appreciate any suggestions pros/cons on what you all would do with this. My thoughts:

GTN 650 (can this work with the Century III and fly GPSS?) with install.
Assuming Garmin didn't screw something up WRT the ARINC429 roll steering output the answer is yes. Either the Icarus SAM (highly recommended) or a DAC GDC-31 will work. IIRC the Century GPSS won't work with the C-III but I could be wrong on that.

New audio panel (? GMA 340) with installation of 6-place intercom. (currently has pilot only audio)]
I recommend you pass on the GMA340 in favor of a PS engineering PMA8000B of some sort. The Garmin 350 might be an acceptable substitute.

Panel mount 510 for backup and weather.
Docked is OK but I suspect there's plenty of room for other types of Aera mounts which may offer greater flexibility and allow repositioning when glare is an issue.
+/- ? engine monitor?
Definitely a good idea. I'd make sure it included fuel flow because it's helpful to have FF recorded along with temps and that plane should have a fuel totalizer anyway.

Last edited:
I have not figured out if I can post a picture, otherwise I could include a picture of the current panel.

Thanks in advance.

You can post a picture if its online somewhere.. in a public file (like your facebook, your fotki, or wherever) click on the image in the toolbar that looks like a postcard, between the envelope and the speech bubble (seen when you go to make a post)

You can post a picture if its online somewhere.. in a public file (like your facebook, your fotki, or wherever) click on the image in the toolbar that looks like a postcard, between the envelope and the speech bubble (seen when you go to make a post)
I don't know if you intended that for me but I wasn't asking that question, I just accidentally left a portion of the OP outside the quotes.

Looks like a very powerful package. Only thing I would add is my excellent experience with the JPI EDM-series engine analyzers -- I've put them in three consecutive airplanes.

Thanks for the input.

Here is a link to the photo of the panel. Hopefully this works. http://www.flickr.com/photos/9861173@N08/5566791166/

Probably 90% of the flying will be VFR with the remainder IFR. The primary pilots are a guy taking his IFR training now, and a 800 hour IFR pilot.

If it was my airplane, I'd lead with:

1. Garmin GPS/NAV/COM (GTN650 a good start);
2. PS Engineering audio panel (like Lance says, they are simply better);
3. Aera for WX (you have room to dock it if you want the appearance thereof - the Lance has rafts of room);
4. JPI EDM700 Engine Analyzer;
5. JPI FS450 Fuel Totalizer;
6. Icarus SAM GPSS;
7. Garmin 330 Xponder.

...depending upon budget...

Back