Reputation Revisited

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
The MC has changed a bit. Wanted to see if it might be worthwhile to toss out the idea of re-adding the Rep system to PoA again? I see it used quite frequently across the internet in many different ways....

For example, one forum I frequent uses "Groans" and "Thanks" for each post, as a method of recognizing worthwhile and informational posts vs. trolling.

Another forum I frequent uses the stock reputation system to help keep users friendly and helpful.

We used to do it here. I think we should bring it back. Can you guys deliberate?

The MC has changed a bit. Wanted to see if it might be worthwhile to toss out the idea of re-adding the Rep system to PoA again? I see it used quite frequently across the internet in many different ways....

For example, one forum I frequent uses "Groans" and "Thanks" for each post, as a method of recognizing worthwhile and informational posts vs. trolling.

Another forum I frequent uses the stock reputation system to help keep users friendly and helpful.

We used to do it here. I think we should bring it back. Can you guys deliberate?

*groan*

You know I had to! :D

It would discourage me from making my usual pithy comments - my rep does not need any more public bashing :)

Where do I give this subject "negative reputation"? :D

Too many folks out there whose sole joy seems to be denigrating other people and calling them names. Let it lie.

Aww, I got one starred. See - reputation works. If you think this is a feature you want to see, vote it up! Lets get some stars on this thread people!

Aww, I got one starred. See - reputation works. If you think this is a feature you want to see, vote it up! Lets get some stars on this thread people!
The listing indicates 1 star is not a good thing. If I wrote the UI for vBulletin, I'd make a steaming pile the icon for a poor thread rather than a single star.

Too many folks out there whose sole joy seems to be denigrating other people and calling them names. Let it lie.

You are right with your observation, but I think the Reputation System is designed to help keep that in check.
Do a search for Positive Peer Pressure.
I will give Nick's post a star.

Are there not a number of POA members who revel in discovering ways of, to put in gently, screwing with the system? Usually all in good fun, but still...

Up to 3 stars (Although, that could be a 1 star and a 5 star....need more votes!)

It's never worked right for Slashdot and they've been trying to get it right longer than almost anyone. It turns into a popularity contest, not an objective measure of the usefulness of the post.

What's the point really? Does one get a prize for being most popular? Banished for being unpopular? Reputation of what by the way? I always thought it was a bit silly, but I don't really care one way or the other.

Reputation should be earned the old fashioned way: By delivering quality comments. Frequent board users draw their own conclusions as to who's full of hot air, who's a jerk, who's a useful contributor. Why the need to spoon feed it? If you want an example of how reputation CANNOT be imposed by others, I direct you to the latest movie you saw that critics loved (or panned) and to which you had the opposite reaction.

I don't think it's a good idea, because I have noticed that even abrasive people can have useful things to say. The standard for judging whether a post is worthwhile should be what is said, not who is saying it.

I am against anything that makes one iota more work for the folks who run this site. They do more than enough as it is.

I am against anything that makes one iota more work for the folks who run this site. They do more than enough as it is.

I gotta say, that consideration might well trump any benefit that could be derived by a system that helps weed out the baddies.

I gotta say, that consideration might well trump any benefit that could be derived by a system that helps weed out the baddies.

That brings up another question:

Are there really any "baddies" who need to be weeded out here? (Other than me of course! :D)

Personally, I can't think of anyone whom I would like to see driven away.

People are not prevented from giving us feedback. We can and do complain to each other when we feel it's necessary.

Just me, too!

How can we know unless folks are permitted to give us feedback?

Dave,

I think you just volunteered to set up and maintain a separate forum that graphs word count vs substance per post.

We could call it the "Taylor Monitored Index" or TMI for short.

You are the man!

:goofy:......:goofy:..... :goofy:..... :goofy:..... :goofy:..... :goofy:......:goofy:.....:goofy:

What's the point really? Does one get a prize for being most popular?

They get elected to political office. Popularity contest invented by the Greeks. All fun and games until they make you drink the poison hemlock.

Dave,

I think you just volunteered to set up and maintain a separate forum that graphs word count vs substance per post.

We could call it the "Taylor Monitored Index" or TMI for short.

You are the man!

:goofy:......:goofy:..... :goofy:..... :goofy:..... :goofy:..... :goofy:......:goofy:.....:goofy:
Before I hosted PoA I wrote a script that crawled the entire website and saved everyone's post and userid into a database. From there I generated statistics looking at the people with the highest post counts. Interestingly enough, those with the highest post counts had the least words per post...

Before I hosted PoA I wrote a script that crawled the entire website and saved everyone's post and userid into a database. From there I generated statistics looking at the people with the highest post counts. Interestingly enough, those with the highest post counts had the least words per post...

Yes, but on average did they really add anything of substance to the discussion thread...? That's a qualitative judgement call that requires more than number crunching. :yinyang:

Yes, but on average did they really add anything of substance to the discussion thread...? That's a qualitative judgement call that requires more than number crunching. :yinyang:
Since their posts contained very few words - it's likely it wasn't of much value and was more of just a "me too!" or "I agree!".

It's never worked right for Slashdot and they've been trying to get it right longer than almost anyone.
That's because they are staffed by incompetents. They should've used an eigenvector based trust metric like the old Raph's dissertation discusses, and only allow positive values. With a juditious selection of the walk roots it would not be a problem. They didn't even need to code anything, the implementations exist! It's frankly insane that anyone implemention reputation would try vote-based metrics these days. This story earns Taco and crew a black star for being stupid, if I may paraphrase Linus.
-- Pete

Edit: That said, I don't know if a ready-made code in PHP exists that can be plugged into PoA. It was a while.

I bet Nate kicks everyone's ass in words per post. :yes:

Signal to noise, my friend. Signal to noise (or lack, thereof). :D

Signal to noise, my friend. Signal to noise (or lack, thereof). :D

Yep, a politician going on for 20 minutes to say essentially "I don't have a friggin' clue" uses a lot of words, for not much content.

Back