Reputation again

poadeleted3

Pattern Altitude
I don't like having to spread reputation so far around. Some folks deserve more postive stuff. For example, i tried to gie diana more after reading her most happy storry about taking her dad flying but couldn't. I can see whyt we wouldn't want to have the ability to give someomne good or bad rep repeatedly, buyt how bout if we only have ot give rep tgo 10 other people before we can give itr back to the same person?

I don't think your suggestion is unreasonable. Given the current user base of 300+, it's actually kind of hard to hit 20 people before going back to the first. Let's get Chuck's input. I vote for 10, too.

gibbons said:
I've run into the same thing. I vote 10 (at most) - if we're voting :)

Chip

Vote me in; I've had the same problem. Hey! Let's take a poll! ;)

Who do you even see your reputation. Is that the green dot under my name? I guess I am not paying attention to mine. I wonder if I really care?

Brent

Brent Bradford said:
Who do you even see your reputation. Is that the green dot under my name?
The green bar reflects your total reputation, yes - as people gain more reputation that bar will get bigger for them. If they lose enough reputation it will turn into a red dot and if the KEEP losing more it will become a bigger red bar.

Now as to Joe's question about changing the number of different people who must be 'pinged' before you can ping someone again.

I'll give it some thought - but my first reaction is to not want to tinker with the controls too much.

What we need here is a larger user base to make it easier to help spread your rep around. :) Chuck ponders some kind of 'referral incentive program' for PoA to help people feel more incentive to recruit others...

Greebo said:
What we need here is a larger user base to make it easier to help spread your rep around.
Well, the other thing is that giving reputation seems like a BIG THING, rather than as significant as laughing at a quip or nodding "good point."

Me, too - 10 seems reasonable. That's the daily limit as well.

And you can go to User CP to see your reputation points.

Chuck/Brian, I notice you can't see who gave you reputation points, either good or bad. I can understand why not for bad ones but how can I find out how to thank those who gave me good ones?

and boy, that hamsters not slow, he's dead!

bstratt said:
Chuck/Brian, I notice you can't see who gave you reputation points, either good or bad. I can understand why not for bad ones but how can I find out how to thank those who gave me good ones?

Perhaps a way for a reputation giver to allow the recipient the ability to see the source of the rep change (good or bad) would work. Also I wonder if instead of limiting repeats, you could just limit points given per day (or do you already do that?).

I do wish there was a way to give more than one point per posting. Occasionally I have wanted to kick in 2 or more.

lancefisher said:
Perhaps a way for a reputation giver to allow the recipient the ability to see the source of the rep change (good or bad) would work. QUOTE]

<snip>

that might cause hard feelings actually.

lancefisher said:
Perhaps a way for a reputation giver to allow the recipient the ability to see the source of the rep change (good or bad) would work. Also I wonder if instead of limiting repeats, you could just limit points given per day (or do you already do that?).

I do wish there was a way to give more than one point per posting. Occasionally I have wanted to kick in 2 or more.

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/showthread.php?t=57

Reputation is given privately because it can be given honestly that way. Only Brian and I have access to see who gave reputation, good or bad, and we do not disclose that information.

You are limited to 10 "hits" (positive or negative) per day, and (currently) limited to 1 hit in 20 being to the same person.

How much your "hit" is worth depends on your own reputation level. New users have no reputation power, and the hits they give have no impact (grey dot). You can calculate your own reputation power by reviewing the above and figuring out your own numbers. :)

that might cause hard feelings actually.
Yes, and make people more reluctant to give or take reputation honestly.

lancefisher said:

I sign my reputation comments with BA (for Brian Austin).

The limit for TOTAL points given is 10 per day.

After you've accumulated more posts and/or points, your reputation power increases to 2 instead of our standard 1 right now.

Brian Austin said:
I sign my reputation comments with BA (for Brian Austin).

The limit for TOTAL points given is 10 per day.

After you've accumulated more posts and/or points, your reputation power increases to 2 instead of our standard 1 right now.
Slowpoke...

...and your reputation isn't limited to 2. If you have 1000 posts and 100 reputation points, your power goes to 3... and so forth.

Thus the more you contribute to the site - both in the number of posts you make (remember, spamming to boost post count is discouraged) and in the regard with which you are viewed by others - affect how much influence you yourself have.

Greebo said:
Slowpoke...

...and your reputation isn't limited to 2. If you have 1000 posts and 100 reputation points, your power goes to 3... and so forth.

Thus the more you contribute to the site - both in the number of posts you make (remember, spamming to boost post count is discouraged) and in the regard with which you are viewed by others - affect how much influence you yourself have.
Some of us work for a living. :p

Nobody likes me, apparently. LOTS of folks here are gaining big rep points. Mine has been at 13 (including the default 10) since a few days after we 'opened'. Sigh. :rolleyes:

I hate to admit this but I have no idea what the reputation situation is. I pay ZERO attention to same.... I know, Chuck, I should do better but LIFE IS SHORT.

Brian Austin said:
Some of us work for a living. :p

Nobody likes me, apparently. LOTS of folks here are gaining big rep points. Mine has been at 13 (including the default 10) since a few days after we 'opened'. Sigh. :rolleyes:

I thought you hoity toity management types were like, immune from the reputation thing? :)

Okay, this is the first I have heard of reputation points. Sounds okay. I can see where it stems from, though. I will look into this further.

Dustin

Brian Austin said:
Even us god-like beings have feelings...knave. :D
Yes, and you are now on a distinguished road!

Greebo said:
http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/showthread.php?t=57

Reputation is given privately because it can be given honestly that way.

woodstock said:
that might cause hard feelings actually

My (maybe not so good) idea was to allow the reputation giver to chose whether the recipient can see the source. If you made the default "no" then it would work as it does now unless the giver made a deliberate choice to the contrary.

How much your "hit" is worth depends on your own reputation level. New users have no reputation power, and the hits they give have no impact (grey dot). You can calculate your own reputation power by reviewing the above and figuring out your own numbers. :)[/QUOTE]

With the current system, it will be a long time before anyone's reputation changes given the relatively low "power" anyone has and the significant time it will take to gain more. Eventually as the average power grows, the rate of change will increase as well. I must admit that I haven't been very forthcoming with my handing out reputation points, due in no small part to the lack of near immediate feedback/gratification.

Back