Republic airlines files Chapter 11, claims pilot shortage.

Clarification: ...shortage of pilots willing to work for peanuts.

Heck, if regional paid enough I would sell my current company and go fly for them...but they don't, so I won't.

Sounds like what they really want is to get out of their leases on their Embraer E145s. I

Just another airline ,playing the system.

I can't believe it is a better business decision to file chapter 11 rather than increasing your employee expense by some single percentage points. Sounds like a tantrum.

How to make a small fortune in the aviation industry . . . .

I can't believe it is a better business decision to file chapter 11 rather than increasing your employee expense by some single percentage points. Sounds like a tantrum.

Well, considering the FFD model, it doesn't surprise me. They wanted nothing to do with the E-145s they operate for Delta, and Delta knew that and stuck them with a 5 year renewal on them last year. Can't say it surprises me, I wouldn't be surprised if Delta dropped Republic totally, 145 and 170/175

Nothing new under the sun here. Another airline using bankruptcy laws and corporate friendly judges to legally abrogate their costs structures. Majors do it all the time to break pension promises and give labor paycuts, the regional players most likely are doing it to dismiss unfavorable lease agreements on non-economic fleets. 'Murica...where we socialize losses and privatize profits, and the losers applaud it. Yai crony capitalism :D

sucks all around.

but still better than the 'other' system

The delta contract had more to do with the bankruptcy than any labor costs. Even with the recently ratified pilot contract their labor costs are very low. Not the lowest in the industry but definitely not the highest either. By industry I mean regional carrier.

Nothing new under the sun here. Another airline using bankruptcy laws and corporate friendly judges to legally abrogate their costs structures. Majors do it all the time to break pension promises and give labor paycuts, the regional players most likely are doing it to dismiss unfavorable lease agreements on non-economic fleets. 'Murica...where we socialize losses and privatize profits, and the losers applaud it. Yai crony capitalism :D

:yeahthat: Yep, this!

Back