Reports from the Air Race Classic

EHITCH

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Elizabeth
EHITCH said:
This year's Air Race Classic wraps up tomorrow (June 24). One of the AOPA editors is writing daily reports that are posted at

http://www.aopa.org/special/airrace/airrace05.html,

plus Purdue has a website detailing the race as well:
http://www.airraceclassic2005.org/FYI, the Air Race Classic is the successor to the famous Powder Puff Derby. I think they have 40 teams this year.

Elizabeth

Thanks for the link. It's good to see Ruby Sheldon is still active.

She intimidated the tar out of me shortly after we landed at the starting airport in 2002. She jumped up on my wing and demanded I start my (hot) engine right away so we could check the timing. Whoa! Who is this spitfire?

Ruby was (I believe I remember this correctly) the first licensed helicopter pilot in Alaska. Or was it the first helicopter instructor in Alaska? Maybe both.

Carol
2002 Classic #26

Thanks for posting that link! I met Ruby years ago (maybe 15) at a local air race. Hope I have that much energy at that age. It's probabaly not possible since I don't have that much energy even now. :no:

Being from Colorado I also know the author and the other team member, who both used to live here before they moved away, so it was an interesting read.

Carol said:
Thanks for the link. It's good to see Ruby Sheldon is still active.

She intimidated the tar out of me shortly after we landed at the starting airport in 2002. She jumped up on my wing and demanded I start my (hot) engine right away so we could check the timing. Whoa! Who is this spitfire?

Ruby was (I believe I remember this correctly) the first licensed helicopter pilot in Alaska. Or was it the first helicopter instructor in Alaska? Maybe both.

Carol
2002 Classic #26

I love all our "master" pilots in our 99s chapter -- they have some amazing stories to tell! Especially the ferry pilots from the war years -- astonishing what they accomplished when you hear the tales.
E

Back