Reporting errors... in Air & Space Magazine!

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
During lunch today, I saw an error I would expect in the local paper, but not in Air & Space from the Smithsonian!

It says on page 13 of the June/July 2006 issue, in a sidebar memorializing Scott Crossfield, "he was killed last April when the twin-engine Cessna 210A he was flying from Maxwell Air Force Base in Alabama to his home in northern Virginia went down in a Georgia thunderstorm."

Last I checked, a Cessna 210A is a single-engine plane.

http://www2.airliners.net/open.file/0048724/L/

The 210 is what he was flying, I've checked that out; I think the author must have been confused and thinking of a 310.

The letters to the editor of AirSpaceMag are filled each month with corrections. I suspect the staff too busy with funding initiatives to have time for accurate journalism. :(

That is exactly why I dropped my subscription to A&S. The pictures are nice but the articles were always very poorly written. Some errors were obvious more than others. It was like they were trying to rewrite history or something. It was that bad.

Like Steve said, the Leditors were chock full of readers writing in to correct previously printed errors. I would expect better--much better--from anything with Air & Space on it. This is, afterall, OUR Museum.

Richard said:
I would expect better--much better--from anything with Air & Space on it. This is, afterall, OUR Museum.

I heard a funny joke in that regard. This guy went to the museum and all the exhibit halls were empty. He went to the front desk and asked where they kept the airplanes and spacecraft. The lady gave him a funny look and said "Airplanes?! This is the National Air and Space Museum... and that's what we have."

Back