Reporting Driver's License Suspension

S

SeanMan21

Hello, I just have a question regarding reporting a drivers license suspension to the FAA.

About a week ago, I received a letter in the mail informing me that my state drivers license would be suspended for 30 days. This suspension was for a citation of having Marijuana in a moving vehicle that I received about two weeks after I received my Private Pilots License. After talking to a friend, he told me that I am supposed to report a drivers license suspension to the FAA 60 days after the event. I was researching online about my situation, but I couldn't seem to find much info about Marijuana convictions...most information was about alcohol related offenses. I just wanted to make sure before I report it that I really need to.

The closest info I found to my situation was from the AOPA website,

"Revocation is the usual penalty unless the drug offense was simple possession of a small amount of the drug. No special reporting is required on your part, but the FAA almost always finds out anyway."

I didn't receive anything relating to a DUI/DWI, just a possession citation for a pretty small amount.

Any help on the topic would be greatly appreciated!

He said it wasn't a DUI..

What were you convicted of?

I'd ask a aviation lawyer and also find out exactly what they put into the computer databases, might be nothing, might be a big deal, remember our government is filled with puritans who are worried about reefer madness and all that :rolleyes:

I'd ask a aviation lawyer and also find out exactly what they put into the computer databases, might be nothing, might be a big deal
Big agreement with consulting with an aviation attorney versus us well meaning pundits on an internet forum. This is something that needs to get figured out the right way so that it doesn't continue to mess you over each time you renew the medical or other certificates.

While the criminal law item might have been dealt with the citation and license suspension, the FAA operates on a different set of rules when it comes to your eligibility to operate an aircraft. And this is an area where expert help may be worth the expense.

Luckily, I'm only pursuing my PPL, so I don't need to worry about any other certificates, or even a medical for another 5 years.

I was convicted of Marijuana in a Moving Vehicle and Paraphernalia. I thought about consulting a lawyer, money was just a little tight, but will definitely still consider it.

I get that money is tight but if you don't get an aviation attorney consider yourself screwed... just sayin

An hour consult with an aviation lawyer is gonna be a helluv a lot cheaper than the rest of your PPL training costs to only find out you can not get your PPL certificate issued.

"Marijuana in a Moving Vehicle"?? What difference does it make if the vehicle was moving or not?

Bending someone or something will definitely trigger the search.

Point is... Many of us don't want pot heads sharing the sky with us.
Clean up your act or get out.

Sorry to be so harsh.

Glad you're so quick to judge.

Im sure if people were aware how many alcoholics were flying that'd make everyone really happy.

Yup. You were busted for weed. Unless your habits change you have absolutely zero business flying. It's not a stoners hobby.

Haha stoners hobby? Pothead? So anyone who has consumed a drug that could potentially be made legal in half of the U.S. over the next two election cycles has no business to even be a recreational pilot?

I made a mistake, I'm working to fix it. I'll make sure to take your advice into account.

The sad fact is that as long as cannabis is illegal on the federal level, it's going to be absolutely verboten as far as the FAA is concerned. It doesn't matter how many states legalize it, possession is still a federal crime. So it COULD be a total showstopper for you. Whether it is or not is something you need to find out, and the only person who can tell you for sure is someone who knows... as others have already advised you, see an aviation lawyer.

"Marijuana in a Moving Vehicle"?? What difference does it make if the vehicle was moving or not?

If this is a MJ legal state (which it must be or he'd have been dinged for possession), I'd guess it is like having an open container of alcohol in the car.

In WA, MJ is legal but using it in public is not (non-traffic infraction).

If this is a MJ legal state (which it must be or he'd have been dinged for possession), I'd guess it is like having an open container of alcohol in the car.

In WA, MJ is legal but using it in public is not (non-traffic infraction).
I was going to respond to Kritchlow that I don't personally have anything against a pilot using weed as long as they're not under the influence while in the plane, but that throws a whole different light on the issue. If the OP was using while driving, it implies a certain irresponsibility about the use of intoxicants while at the controls of a vehicle. Only the OP knows the details, but if that's the case then I would have to agree, that person has no business piloting an airplane.

I make no judgment as to whether the OP was or wasn't using in the car.

Location (Colorado or Washington) is irrelevant. Federal law overrides, and the FAA is Federal. To the OP - do nothing until you speak with an aviation lawyer. Even a 30 minute discussion ($75-150) will answer all questions. If you are an AOPA member, contact them and speak to one of the legal staff. If you're not an AOPA member, join immediately ($40?) which is cheaper than a lawyer.

To the others with snarky and holier than thou comments....give it a rest. We know you're perfect and never, ever do anything that violates even the most trivial of 14 CFR 61. Or any other.

I'm a professional, and do not want stoners flying in my airspace.
Any questions??

Lol mindless puritans.

So you drink?

Smoke cigs?

Any rx medication?

If the answer to any of those is "yes" you have absolutely zero room to talk about something as harmless as smoking some leaf.

As long as you're not drinking booze or smoking week or on rx meds while flying it's none of anyone's damn business.

Lol mindless puritans.

So you drink?

Smoke cigs?

Any rx medication?

If the answer to any of those is "yes" you have absolutely zero room to talk about something as harmless as smoking some leaf.

As long as you're not drinking booze or smoking week or on rx meds while flying it's none of anyone's damn business.
Perhaps you need a bit of a refresher??

Booze is leagal
Cigs are leagal
RX when prescribed are leagal
Weed not leagal

I am soooo tired of the folks that hate all government. I am a conservative, but I do realize the need for some government oversight.
Lives other countries with no airport security or no aircraft maintenance standards?? Would you get on one of those airplanes?? No maintenance checks performed, no security, not even a runway analysis to see if we can depart....
Yeah, that's me.

We know what it takes to be legal with booze. What does it take to be legal with pot? 8 hours? More? How much in your blood? How long does it take to wear off? THC in frequent high use can stay in fat cells for a LONG time. When are you no longer "under the influence?"

Perhaps you need a bit of a refresher??

Booze is leagal
Cigs are leagal
RX when prescribed are leagal
Weed not leagal

Not that long ago booze was illegal, it was also illegal for blacks to vote, lots of other stuff too

Think for yourself a little, educate yourself on said topic before you start telling folks they have no business in "your airspace".

I've lived in other counties, frankly I really could give a hoot about our security theatre and many other places have MX which is just fine.

Lay off the Fox News man

Last edited:
Honestly, regardless of me, the topic really is tricky, but interesting.

Because besides legal vs not legal, there's also decriminalized states. Luckily for me, I was in a state when I got pulled over where marijuana is significantly decriminalized. I only received citation as simple tickets, where, if I would have been pulled over in the state where I attend aviation school, I would have ended up in Jail and potentially received a felony.

If you are honestly going to sit there and treat the topic of marijuana as if I was busted for doing crack, then there's no real reason to respond. Like someone earlier said, there was once a time in this country where Alcohol was illegal and cannabis was legal.

Also, don't judge so quickly when you don't understand the context of the situation. I did not receive a possession charge, I was in a vehicle with an individual who had marijuana and received Marijuana in a M/V/ Which technically does not violate 61.15, as I wasn't impaired by drugs in any way, such as a DUI/DWI.

I think we'll see lots of kids getting tripped up with this going forward. The drug is quasi legal at the state level and is 'punished' with a traffic ticket. At the same time it remains illegal for the feds and may block the kid from getting federal student aid, a pilots license, purchase a firearm or obtain a security clearance . At that age, many just don't have the foresight to understand how their actions now affect their options in life.

Also, don't judge so quickly when you don't understand the context of the situation. I did not receive a possession charge, I was in a vehicle with an individual who had marijuana and received Marijuana in a M/V/ Which technically does not violate 61.15, as I wasn't impaired by drugs in any way, such as a DUI/DWI.

You need to rid yourself of the addicts in your life. They are holding you back.

You need to rid yourself of the addicts in your life. They are holding you back.

Would you say the same thing if he was smoking cigarettes or a cigar instead?

Would you say the same thing if he was smoking cigarettes or a cigar instead?

Cigarettes yes, that's an addict behavior. Cigar/Pipe, not so much.

He caught the pot charge the same way you get an 'open container' if one of your idiot friends decides to drink while you are driving. Same thing, idiot buddies interfering with your life.

Two things (while sidestepping the larger debate over drugs vs. alcohol, etc.):

An avian lawyer or one of the hard case AMEs would know, but I believe the mere fact your DL was suspended for anything drug related can be a major problem.

If you're rationalizing and continuing a behavior that causes legal problems, it isn't a sign of great judgement.

Last edited:
Not that long ago booze was illegal, it was also illegal for blacks to vote, lots of other stuff too

Think for yourself a little, educate yourself on said topic before you start telling folks they have no business in "your airspace".

I've lived in other counties, frankly I really could give a hoot about our security theatre and many other places have MX which is just fine.

Lay off the Fox News man
It's unclear what Fox News has to do with this???
But...
I always think for myself, thank you. If one of the pot heads bump into me while flying, they have indeed invaded MY airspace. No, they do not belong flying. Neither do drunks. (Not that long ago?? It's pushing 100 years. I guess it's relative.)

I know you hate all sorts of government regulation. I don't care for a lot of it, but I do recognize the need for some of it. I choose not to live in a lawless country, but if that suits you please feel free to go. Not sure which other country you lived but most are probably more regulated than the US. You can talk about security theatre all you want, but the fact is almost 100% of our flights are safe. Without the "theatre" I don't think that would be the case.
Regardless, this isn't about security. It's about drug users sharing the sky.

Repeating and expanding on what a number of folks have said, the only person who can answer your question reliably is an attorney who understands both the criminal and FAA process and reviews your official paperwork. Anything else is basically a crapshoot. Folks would be astounded by the number of times I have had a client tell me what happened in some part of the legal process and found the reality was completely different.

Many people keep coming to boards like this looking for people to tell them what they want to hear. It always amazes me when they get so upset when the majority tell them the opposite of what they want to hear. In any event, I don't care what people do in their private time. What I do care about is people who are not willing to accept the consequences of their actions. You want to run around with people with weed in their possession, there are consequences. As a former leo, we typically don't stroke out everyone just to add charges without extenuating circumstances. Regardless of state vs federal law, your license was suspended because you and only you allowed yourself to be in that position and now you have to be an adult and deal with the consequences.

With all that said, I have heard of people with much worse get their licenses but the process is extensive and expensive. Wish you the best and hope you learned a lesson about putting yourself in positions that can take away something you love that quick.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back