Report on South Beach Diet

Len Lanetti

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Lenny
This is aviation related as it relates to the useful load of my aircraft! :<)

Karen (wife) and I started the South Beach diet earlier this week.

Some of the main points of the diet are no carbohydrates during the first two weeks, processed foods are forbidden and you have a steady diet of mostly high protein foods and fibers for main meals and small snacks. The idea is that you keep your blood sugar levels on an even keel throughout the day. That is about the best I can do to condense the diet book into a few sentences. :<)

The diet was created by a heart doctor who wanted to create a healthy diet for his older patients.

So far I would say I've not been hungry at any point since starting the diet. I have not felt the need to run to the cafeteria for my normal mid morning and mid afternoon snacks. Based on reading the book and practicing the diet for a few days I do agree with the metabolism science that is the basis for the diet.

In general the diet requires more food preparation work compared to the meals we were eating in the past. Pre processed foods are not a part of the diet and so pretty much Karen is making everything from scratch. All the food I've eaten so far has been good (thankfully Karen is a very good cook). Breakfast has consisted of eggs cooked various ways with vegetables (sometimes with Canadian bacon on the side). Cheese is very prominent as both a snack and a desert (whipped ricotta with cinnamon, vanilla extract, almonds,... takes a little getting used to but very tasty as long as you are not comparing it to three scoops of your favorite ice creams topped with chocolate sauce). Sugar free jello is another desert item. Dinner so far has been chicken or fish (grilled salmon the other night was very good) with lots of vegetables. Actually, you are pretty much allowed to eat as much of this stuff as you want.

For dinner it is a little odd not having potato, rice, corn and/or bread on my plate. Last night the spot for the potato was taken up by a broiled tomato topped with cheese. While I miss eating the carbs I do enjoy eating the foods that are part of the diet. Truth is I used to eat the foods that are part of the diet plus all the carbs {duh - think there might have been a reason the middle of me was getting bigger - :<) }.

Note as the kids (David 9 - Matthew 8) are very active kids and not overweight in any way they continue with what they've always been eating (note that we've pretty much always limited their junk food intake - sure they get some chips and soda but not a steady diet of that type of stuff).

During the summer I did cut back on my overall food intake by reducing portion size and I did drop 10 pounds. So at the start of the diet I was 165 (ie down from 175 at the start of the summer). I have not weighed myself since the day we've started the diet but I do "feel" a difference. According to the book I should loose between 8 and 15 pounds in the first two weeks. I would like to be at 150 at the end of the two weeks with my ultimate goal being somewhere between 135 and 145. I do think I will need to add a formal exercise routine to get down closer to 135. Note that at 5 feet 5 inches I think these weights are good for my height (and good for long term Mooney retention).

Len

I lost 25 lbs. on South Beach and I think it is the most awesome plan. It's been a year for me, and it will be easy to eat this way forever. The big plusses are the fact that it's not the calories, it's the type of food you eat that influences your metabolism and also determines when you will feel hungry again. For many years I would get the shakes when I let an hour or 2 go by between meals; now, with the boost in protein and vegetables, I feel fine all day. Goodbye, vending machine. Really wonderful discovery, that South Beach.

I always cheat for the things I love, and have since the beginning....chocolate, beer, and real blue cheese dressing. :)

Good luck, Len! You're doing great.

My wife and I were following this for a while. We had a hard time keeping up with the food preparation end of things, because with 3 elementary-school kids it usually meant making two meals. Ugh.

But I agree that it's an excellent plan. The weight loss is one thing, but I just felt healthier eating like that.

I tried Atkins last year and South Beach earlier this year. I gave it about 4 weeks for each and didn't lose a single pound. Oddly, I felt significantly better each time, but the weight loss just wasn't there. I've been on Weight Watchers for 5 weeks now and am down almost 15 pounds. Best of luck, Len!

Good luck, Len.

I like South Beach. For one, it teaches you about healthier eating. Even though it starts you on low-carb (and that's what everybody focuses on), it also includes fairly low saturated fats and cholesterol, low refined sugars - and higher grains than the typical American diet. It also permits you to indulge occasionally. But the recommended recipies aren't bad at all.

My success story with South Beach was losing 40 pounds the first year. I gained about 10 of that back during the holidays, and I went back on the stricter phases, losing about 30 (total of 60 from where I started). Right now, I'm up a little over 10 from the lowest point, but down almost 50 from where I started. And I've basically maintained it.

In my mind, that's a success story.

I hope you find it to work well.

bill

Last edited:
gkainz said:
I tried Atkins last year and South Beach earlier this year. I gave it about 4 weeks for each and didn't lose a single pound. Oddly, I felt significantly better each time, but the weight loss just wasn't there. I've been on Weight Watchers for 5 weeks now and am down almost 15 pounds. Best of luck, Len!

Don't despair, Len! There is no "one size fits all" diet/fitness regime.

I have been using the basic Atkins plan for more than seven years. I weigh 55 pounds less than I did when I started. I had tried all sorts of diets/exercize schemes over the 20 years before I stumbled on Atkins. I am not on a diet, I have embraced a low carb lifestyle. What works for me likely will not work for anyone else.

However, everyone has to find the unique set of conditions that will allow them to achieve and maintain the weight and fitness level desired.

Good Luck!

bharris said:
Don't despair, Len! There is no "one size fits all" diet/fitness regime.
Absolutely! I didn't mean to sound like I was disparaging the South Beach plan...just pointing out exactly what was just pointed out.
Good luck!

I am on the "Stop drinking so many freaking sodas" diet. I now drink diet sodas, and ice tea. Lotsa ice tea, in fact.

I'm losing small amount of weight fairly quickly, since I drink about 10 sodas a day (teeth aren't so healthy as a result).

Side effect: Aspartame scares me. I find it 200% more addictive than sugar, and if I go without it now I kinda get to be a jerk. Loss of weight is worth it tho, even if it is a negligable amount.

NickDBrennan said:
Side effect: Aspartame scares me. I find it 200% more addictive than sugar, and if I go without it now I kinda get to be a jerk. Loss of weight is worth it tho, even if it is a negligable amount.

Try the Diet Coke with Splenda. Tastes pretty good and no aspartame.

DeeG said:
Try the Diet Coke with Splenda. Tastes pretty good and no aspartame.

Also Diet Right and the new 7-up Plus Fruit sodas.

It took me a while to finally figure out that when I started feeling bad it was after the second bottle of Diet Pepsi. I used to drink a LOT of Diet Pepsi. That doesn't happen with drinks with Splenda.

All,

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Couldn't resist getting on the scale this morning. So far, I've averaged about a pound per day.

Last night the main course was a crab and shrimp salad with a mustard based dressing. No cocktail sauce because there is so much sugar in ketchup.

Today the mid morning snack was a lettuce/turkey/ham roll up with cilantro mayonnaise (light mayo - 1 carb per teaspoon). A little messy to eat, would have been easier to eat if it was wrapped up in one of those pitta things or better yet on a nice, fresh hoagie roll.

Oh boy, I just realized...no more hoagies or cheese steaks...when I was younger I used to live on those things. No more soft pretzels or Tastycakes either. Oh well, just keep thinking Mooney vs. Cherokee Six. :<)

Joe Williams said:
You find a beer you can drink, yet?

Joe,

Oh, there are a lot of beers I can drink just none I can drink and stay on the diet.

The first two weeks are pretty much zero carbs so I think it best that there be no beer during that part. I think during that first two weeks there is no alcohol permitted at all. After the first two weeks I think a glass of red wine is permitted per day. The book pretty much says in order of preference wine then a distilled beverage but beer really goes against the entire idea (due to both carbs and sugars).

At some point I think I'm going to have to figure out how much wild rice I'll have to skip and how much exercise is required so I can have a good beer with dinner at least occasionally.

Len

Nick,

Thankfully I'm not a big soda drinker. Black coffee is ok on this diet, decaf in the afternoon. That suites me fine. I agree with your comments on the sugar substitutes.

Len

Len, if you are in deprivation mode, it will be hard to last on this. It's important to be happy! You will be able to have wraps and a beer once in a while, have no fear. I don't see why you can't have a cheese steak in a couple of weeks.

One thing I do is order the hamburger or whatever it is on the usual roll, then I keep sliding the roll back as I eat, so I end up eating half the roll instead of the whole thing. And whatever routinely comes with potatoes, I just ask to substitute another vegetable. About rice, you spread it out and cover it with lots of the other stuff that you're supposed to be eating!

Another idea is to split your sandwich with someone, or bring some home to have later.

String cheese is an easy snack and not messy like a rollup. I keep a bag of those at work. Also, try sugar-free fudgicles.

It's not really zero carbs, it's good carbs you're getting.

Toby said:
Len, if you are in deprivation mode, it will be hard to last on this. It's important to be happy!

Toby,

I really cut way back on the number of hoagies and cheese steaks consumed years ago. With the exception of the beer I'm not really in deprivation mode. :<)

I figure I can go without beer for a few weeks. Once the initial stage is over I'll see what happens. Being of both Italian and German descent has advantages. I figure I can probably get used to drinking a little red wine instead of the beer.

I did not mean to give the wrong impression, I'm happy eating what I'm eating.

Len

Well week 1 is officially in the books...I've lost 5 pounds according to the bathroom scale this morning. I find I have at least as much energy as usual, possibly more. I do not find myself hungry except just prior to sitting down to dinner.

The hardest part is after the kids go to bed, snacking while watching a TV show is not the same. If I skip the whipped ricotta cheese desert I can have 30 pistachio nuts or about a dozen almonds with a Diet Dr Pepper (on the rocks tastes pretty good) or a Snapple diet ice tea (flavored or regular, note that one of those Snapple bottles is actually two servings).

Karen (wife) is going to the book store today to find the two South Beach Diet cook books.

We had grilled steak last night that was good. The leftovers went on a salad with horseradish dressing for lunch today. Best meal so far was Sunday dinner, sea bass (unfortunately I had to wolf it down while running from one Cub Scout thing to another).

Anyway, so far so good. Oh, I bought a bottle of cabernet for when we decide we can splurge a bit. Would have gone well with the steak last night but it is too soon yet. We are talking about staying on phase 1 for a total of three weeks now instead of just two.

Edit...almost forgot...Karen made mashed cauliflower the other night....she said it was a lot of work...it is supposed to remind you of mashed potatoes...unless you need the trickery to get over a craving I'd just go with steamed cauliflower...it tastes about the same so the extra work is for naut.

Len

Last edited:
Len Lanetti said:
Edit...almost forgot...Karen made mashed cauliflower the other night....she said it was a lot of work...it is supposed to remind you of mashed potatoes...unless you need the trickery to get over a craving I'd just go with steamed cauliflower...it tastes about the same so the extra work is for naut.

Len

It's all about the texture ;)

wsuffa said:
It's all about the texture ;)

Bill,

The texture of the cauliflower was very, very close to mashed potatoes. With some butter, sour cream and gravy on top you'd never notice the difference.

Latest updates:

Karen picked up latest editions of the South Beach cook books...continuing research by the South Beach folks indicates that carrots are now ok in phase II, previously they were out until phase III, I love carrots. A few other things are listed as being available sooner rather than later. Karen is encouraged by having a lot of new recipes to try. The food prep is taking a lot of her time though.

Last night dinner - main course was orange roughy, it was very good, had a taste and texture similar to lobster without the cost...side dish was steamed squash and zucchini with toasted walnuts and some kind of low fat Italian cheese (starts with an A).

Couldn't resist jumping on the scale this morning...I was expecting to simply confirm that I lost 5 pounds over the last week...I was very surprised to see a 9 pound decrease...probably just from anomalies in the weighing process but encouraging non the less.

Len

Len Lanetti said:
<snip>orange roughy, it was very good, had a taste and texture similar to lobster without the cost<snip>
If you liked the orange roughy, you have to try monkfish. Very much like lobster.

gkainz said:
If you liked the orange roughy, you have to try monkfish. Very much like lobster.

Greg,

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll mention to the chef. :<)

I'm sure the kids will get a kick out of the name of the fish too.

Len

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back