Report of plane down by 3CK Lake in the Hills

ApacheBob

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
ApacheBob
There was a pilot on 121.5 who was reporting a plane crash by Lake in the Hills tonight. Anyone know about this?

My son and I were heading over to 3CK and were getting ready to land when I saw flashing lights on the 8 end of the runway. I then saw that there were flashing lights and a car on the 26 end as well. Most of the activity was on the 8 end and when I called on CTAF, nothing. I mean nothing.

We tried FSS and nothing. Figured with all of the emergency vehicles the problem was reported but too bad one of them didn't answer on CTAF to let us know the runways were closed. Not that I couldn't figure that out from the flashing lights.

After a few landings at KDKB, we flew over 3CK and all was clear. Then back to 10C and when we landed, another pilot on the ground called us and asked if 3CK was open. Once I hangared the plane, we stopped by the ramp and talked to a pilot that had just taken off 3CK and heard someone ask for help. The pilot then called 121.5 to have 911 called. It seemed a plane was on it's back and the pilot was trapped.

The pilot from 3CK had to divert to 10C since he didn't want to try and land at 3CK (good move). When the pilot called LITH police to ask for an update (so he could return to base), they were not very cooperative.

They did indicate nobody was seriously hurt. I hope that is the case.

Allan Lindsay

You would hope that the airport management would get there and man the Unicom and keep the FSS current on NOTAMs of the airport status.

Now that I think of it, my home base didn't close when we had an acciident nearby (off airport), or even when the hangar was on fire.

Maybe it's better that we are allowed to use our eyes and common sense.

3CK has an unmanned unicom. The airport manager office is not even on the airport grounds. NIFC will sometimes answer unicom calls. Once when I was there a 182 cracked up and the NIFC did get on the radio to let people know the runway was closed.

Allan what time did all this occur and do you know what airplane it was?

The plane was N4419F ,a club plane from DPA. Plane is thru fence, left wing separated, totaled. Both pilots walked out ok.

The plane was N4419F ,a club plane from DPA. Plane is thru fence, left wing separated, totaled. Both pilots walked out ok.

http://foxflying.com/Archer19FPhotos.htm

Has anybody else noticed the change at Google? It used to be you could enter an N-number in the search box, and the first option on the returned results would be to see the FAA Registration record for the aircraft. That doesn't exist anymore. I wonder why? Were they asked to remove it??

Or maybe the anti-spam change Chuck made the other day broke it? (Just kidding, Chuck! I know how 'simple code change side effects' [aka "undocumented features"] go!)

I heard the pilot of the crashed plane did an erratic move and flew from abeam the numbers on downwind to final in sort of an engine out manuever. They were coming in on 26 and swung out and over the building on the North side of 26. They tried to correct and at mid field were still at 30+ feet and fast. The pilot that told me this was taxiing and after midfield didn't see the plane anymore. Of course this was Hangar talk but the person telling the story said he was there and saw it all. Take it for what it's worth.

In any case, I saw the plane parts from Randall Rd and it's a mess.

I was flying over around ~9:10 pm and saw all of the emergency vehicles.

Allan

Yes, witness said there 2 botched up approachs before the crash.I made the Mayday call- strange stuff indeed. I think I have attached the pic as my avatar.

I heard the pilot of the crashed plane did an erratic move and flew from abeam the numbers on downwind to final in sort of an engine out manuever. They were coming in on 26 and swung out and over the building on the North side of 26. They tried to correct and at mid field were still at 30+ feet and fast. The pilot that told me this was taxiing and after midfield didn't see the plane anymore. Of course this was Hangar talk but the person telling the story said he was there and saw it all. Take it for what it's worth.

In any case, I saw the plane parts from Randall Rd and it's a mess.

I was flying over around ~9:10 pm and saw all of the emergency vehicles.

Allan

This pretty much goes with witness that I have heard form as well. Just to add on the last attempt to land they were high, hot and long. They appear to have tried a go around but of course were far too late with little runway. The witness that I am hearing this from was one of the ones that went to see what happened after he lost sight of the strobes. he said that the guys were climbing out when he got there. The pax started telling what had happened and the PIC told him to be quiet and not say anything. They had botched a previous approach to 26 and this was their 2nd attempt.

It's funny....

I flew out of 3CK saturday morning and completely did not see the plane, even though I departed on rwy 26. I sort of feel stupid for missing it.

I think there is bad JuJu at 3ck right now. When I came back yesterday to land, I blew a tire out 2 seconds into my roll out. One of the line guys told me a 172 did the same on Saturday afternoon. Then while I was standing there with my crippled ms. judy, I watched two more planes come in to land which carried themselves halfway down the field before touching down. Once the tire is fixed, I'll wait a while to go back there (superstitions being what they are and all).

I spoke to a pilot who watched the whole thing happen and he confirms all of what was said above. To him it seemed like it defied clear explanation as there wasn't any wind and the pattern observance was non-existent.

I'm glad both pilot and pax are OK!

Well, after seeing that July's "hottie of the month" on fbohotties.com was from 3CK, I can see why this guy would have crashed his plane. He was just trying to impress her.

http://www.fbohotties.com/page4.html

Last edited:
"honest officer, I had no idea she was only fifteen"

They didn't make 15 year-olds like that back in my day.

Heard recently that boob jobs are a frequently requested high school graduation gift (among girls and their boyfriends, presumably). http://www.womensenews.org/article.cfm/dyn/aid/1861/context/archive

Yeah I had posted that in another thread too. I heard the same thing. But for this case I do not think it is a 15 year old. For one thing the picture is not of NIFC, two she does not look 15, and three I have never known NIFC to hire 15 year olds or anyone under 18 for that matter. The desk people at NIFC tend to be mature and professional.

Yeah I had posted that in another thread too. I heard the same thing. But for this case I do not think it is a 15 year old. For one thing the picture is not of NIFC, two she does not look 15, and three I have never known NIFC to hire 15 year olds or anyone under 18 for that matter. The desk people at NIFC tend to be mature and professional.
Well, I didn't say that I had heard it elsewhere! LOL! And I agree, the chances that it's a real photo of a 15-yo FBO Hottie at NIFC are slim.

IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: 4419F Make/Model: PA28 Description: PA-28 CHEROKEE, ARROW, WARRIOR, ACHER, D
Date: 07/06/2007 Time: 0215

Event Type: Accident Highest Injury: None Mid Air: N Missing: N
Damage: Substantial

City: LAKE IN THE HILLS State: IL Country: US

DESCRIPTION
WHILE PERFORMING TOUCH AND GOES, AIRCRAFT RAN OFF THE END OF RUNWAY 26 AT
LAKE IN THE HILLS AIRPORT (3CK) AND HIT A FENCE. NO INJURIES REPORTED, LAKE
IN THE HILLS, IL

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 0
# Crew: 1 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Pass: 1 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

WEATHER: VMC

OTHER DATA
Activity: Pleasure Phase: Unknown Operation: OTHER

FAA FSDO: WEST CHICAGO, IL (GL03) Entry date: 07/09/2007

I flew over to 3CK today. The wreckage has been cleaned up but I can see were all the tracks off of the runway lead. Just how in the heck did he end up to the far right of runway 26 and hit the fence facing south?? This one just smells of something fishy!

The bigger question is calling me crashed , while under me on crosswind.
I guess I could not locate him because he was under my fuselage and I was look out my left side ! I wonder if they tested him?

It looks like the Hottie was bogous, she has been de-crowned. Ain't nothing wrong with the new one ,though.

The bigger question is calling me crashed , while under me on crosswind.
I guess I could not locate him because he was under my fuselage and I was look out my left side ! I wonder if they tested him?

Was he making any radio calls or just acting like a JCK-A??

Back