Replacement of Airworthiness Certificate

gitmo234

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
gitmo234
Hello,

My airworthiness cert on my plane is old, yellow, a bit ratty and has a tear in the lower left hand corner (its now laminated).

Since I have the original copy, is it a PITA to get a new/replacement produced by the FSDO?

Follow up: Question 2:

I have the original maintenance/engine/prop log books dating back to 1957...some of which are also very ratty.

Any use in transcribing these things digitally and storing them, or putting them onto paper, annotating that they were transcribed and the originals are available upon request, locking up the old ones so they dont deteriorate and starting a a fresh new maintenance/engine log? (with a note on where the previous ones are)

I have the original maintenance/engine/prop log books dating back to 1957...some of which are also very ratty.

Any use in transcribing these things digitally and storing them, or putting them onto paper, annotating that they were transcribed and the originals are available upon request, locking up the old ones so they dont deteriorate and starting a a fresh new maintenance/engine log? (with a note on where the previous ones are)

Should be no problem.

I just scan the log books to DVD and keep the older books in the safe deposit box unless someone needs to see them. Since I'm on the 3rd engine book, no one cares about the previous 2. Probably the only time I'll pull them out will be when I sell the cherokee and hand the books to the new owner. Until then, the DVDs are just fine.

Hello,

My airworthiness cert on my plane is old, yellow, a bit ratty and has a tear in the lower left hand corner (its now laminated).

Since I have the original copy, is it a PITA to get a new/replacement produced by the FSDO?

Did this a couple months back, it was very easy. Just call the FSDO they will help you right through it.

Make an appointment with the local FSDO. It takes them a 15 min records check (mine took 5 min) and they will issue a replacement. It will have an "R" on it indicating it is a replacement and not original.

I just showed up with me and my damaged certificate and they replaced it no problem.

Nice, thanks. I was under the impression that they would have to come out and look through the airplane, and I'd need tons of records, etc.

If you don't have an original in hand to replace then it probably is much more involved.

If you don't have an original in hand to replace then it probably is much more involved.

Kind of depends. There is always that possibility, but when I had to do it, it was a straight forward reissue.

I've gotten two new airworthiness certificates, changed N numbers, local FSDO was great! On the second one, the inspector met me at the airport so I wouldn't have to drive to them! :D Great service! :D

Back