Replacement for Landing/Taxi Lights

CareBear

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
CareBear
My landing light has blown out for the second time in a year. I currently use 4597 for landing and 4587 for taxi lights. I am considering getting HID lights. Anyone have experience with HID lights and which ones to buy?

I am also thinking about putting a set of lights in the right wing. Is there an STC or would I need to get field approval.

Any comments appreciated. Thanks

My landing light has blown out for the second time in a year. I currently use 4597 for landing and 4587 for taxi lights. I am considering getting HID lights. Anyone have experience with HID lights and which ones to buy?

I am also thinking about putting a set of lights in the right wing. Is there an STC or would I need to get field approval.

Any comments appreciated. Thanks

Long life isn't the only reason to go with HID landing lights, they are considerably brighter, run on significantly less power, and don't get so hot they melt plastic lenses covering them. I have XeVision's 50W HIDs in each of my wings, along with their wig-wag flasher:

http://www.xevision.com/

Duckworks has a similar product for less money:

http://www.duckworksav.com/

WRT the taxi light, there may not be room to install a HID version and if it's exposed to the elements like mine (Baron, on the nose gear) longevity might be a problem. I still have my incandescent taxi light but since it has a much longer life than the OEM landing lights and is much easier to change I've left it alone for now. If and when the LED replacements get a bit less expensive I'll probably go that route for the taxi lamp. There are also LED landing lamps available but IMO they are simply not bright enough (yet).

I have a 50w HID landing light from xevision.

You may need a 337 for your installation. Check the xevision website for the latest info on that.

I had a problem with the bulb to high voltage cable connection that required replacement of both. It developed a short that caused interference on the vhf radios as well as failing the bulb. xevision provided replacements at no cost. Be sure your connection is secure. The retaining mechanism for the cable has been changed since I had my problem.

Back