Replaced winshield on my Homebuilt

1600vw

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
H.A.S.
Ok here is the deal. My new purchase has a cracked windshield. It looks to be plexiglass. I replaced it with the same. Should this have been made of something else like lexan or is plexiglass ok to use as a windshield?

I have already installed it. I formed it by heating it in the oven.

Tony

Thanks Jeff. The piece was a bit big to fit in the oven. I turned it on high and held it in front of the door and let it get hot then formed it to the shape I needed.
Worked great.

Tony

Thanks Jeff. The piece was a bit big to fit in the oven. I turned it on high and held it in front of the door and let it get hot then formed it to the shape I needed.
Worked great.

Tony

Nice job. Was your wife looking?? ;)

From what I recall, lexan doesn't crack as much as plexiglass can, but is more prone to scratching.

What kind of homebuilt?

Ron mine looks almost just like the rounded one in the pic. I will post pics when I get this done.
Tony

Iffen you elect to use polycarbonate and want to heat it to bend it, you want to pre-heat ah hour or three ahead of time to force out any moisture that can cause it to bubble up if you try to heat it enough to bend in one step.

I am in the process of making a new landing light lens last night we set the oven at 250 degrees and placed a scrap piece of lexan in it to see when it became pliable, 250 did nothing, 300 it started to bend a little, 350 degrees for 30 minutes we could bend it to fit the mold.

It did not stay bendable very long.

Back