Replace the race(s)?

docmirror

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Cowboy - yeehah!
Every time? I can't find anything in the Beech service manual that would support replacement of the wheel hub races at each annual, but I've done it 5 times now. In fact, I can't find anything that says to replace the timkin roller either.

It just hit me that this will be my 18th set of bearings to be replaced. That seems like overkill. Anyone remove, clean, inspect, regrease, install?

I've never replaced a set of bearings. Always regreased and reused.

Last edited:
Lordy me, Doc, these bearings have a life of incredible ease; if they are cleaned, well-greased and not abused, they will last a Very Very Long Time.

16 annuals for me. Re-grease and inspect. Think about it. Taxi out, and leave the ground. Not a lot of use there per servicing. Your car's bearings last 10's of thousands of miles carrying more load, harsher shocks (potholes and such) with NO maintenance whatsoever.

They corrode, especially from washing or setting outside in the rain.

They can certainly do that. But, still, they get removed, cleaned and repacked on a yearly basis. Unless your ramp floods regularly, the chances of catastrophic corrosion happening are slim. My plane sits on a ramp 12 1/2 months out of the year.

Why on earth would you replace the races on an annual basis?

Even in ag aircraft that are exposed to constant corrosive materials, we don't do that.

I recently replaced a tailwheel bearing for someone in an ag aircraft, but left the race, as it was fine. Replacing bearings and races is quite a stretch, on an annual basis.

If the bearings are properly cleaned and serviced regularly (should be cleaned and degreased each time the wheel is removed, and at each inspection), they should go a long, long time without need of replacement.

Back