Repair mode-c, skip ADSB out?

The Stratus ESG is obsolete. Others have given excellent advice to get a GTX-330ES or better yet get the GTX-335. The wiring and tray is the same as the GTX-345 with ADS-B in/out. Facilitating easier upgrade later. GTX-335 is about same price as Stratus ESG.

Obsolete? Is that right? It is capable of IN and OUT as well as an AHRS sensor and push button squawk entry. It’s only shortcoming is not being able to feed a Garmin Navigator as a 345 does. It may be a surprise to you, but there are aircraft flying without a Garmin Navigator.

It’ also very interesting that something “obsolete” is still being sold with good success.

A 335 does not provide IN in any form and costs more than an ESG. Your comparison falls short.

Last edited:
Obsolete? Is that right? It is capable of IN and OUT as well as an AHRS sensor and push button squawk entry. It’s only shortcoming is not being able to feed a Garmin Navigator as a 345 does. It may be a surprise to you, but there are aircraft flying without a Garmin Navigator.

It’ also very interesting that something “obsolete” is still being sold with good success.

It should be noted that the only way to get ADS-B in is with an extra box that gets tucked away under the panel. As you note, the devices you can get the data displayed on is also more limited.

I personally wouldn’t consider it obsolete but it also is not an apples to apples replacement for a gtx345.

And thus it doesn’t cost as much as a 345. I made it quite clear in my post that it is a different item than a 345. It also has a much different price. Did I ever claim that it is an apples to apples comparison to a 345? As I said, it does everything a 345 does short of feeding a Garmin Navigator. Did you not read that?

So what if the AHRS and ADS-B IN is from a separate box mounted under the panel? Who cares? Does that make the box obsolete?

I have a 345 in my Mooney and love it, but it cost a lot more than the Stratus ESG in my 140. The 345 cost $6000 installed. The ESG cost $3300 installed and provided the same functionality except for data to a Garmin Navigator. Neither of them are obsolete. They are simply different boxes with different features and prices for different applications, AND they both work great.

Last edited:
And thus it doesn’t cost as much as a 345. I made it quite clear in my post that it is a different item than a 345. It also has a much different price. Did I ever claim that it is an apples to apples comparison to a 345? As I said, it does everything a 345 does short of feeding a Garmin Navigator. Did you not read that?

I did. But it is not the same since it is not all in one box. The post I quoted implies that it is all built into the transponder like the 345.

Oh, I get it. Since it is in two boxes, the functionality it provides doesn’t count. Okay.:rolleyes:

The ESG transponder and the Stratus AHRS sensor were packaged and shipped in the same box. Does that count?

A 345 Remote has part of its electronics in a separate box. Does that make it less functional?

One more question, if you did not need to feed a Garmin navigator with ADS and FIS information, (in other words there are no Garmin navigators in the panel) would you spend $6000 for a 345 when an ESG would give exactly the same functionality for a little more than half the price? These are different, although related, products for different applications. Believe it or not there are aircraft that have panels without a Garmin navigator installed.

Come to think of it, you were wanting an apples to apples comparison. Such a comparison, and a very balanced one, would be a 335 compared to an Appareo (Stratus) ESG transponder with no 3i AHRS sensor. They would both provide the same functionality except the Appareo would be about $1000 or $1500 cheaper.

Last edited:
Oh, I get it. Since it is in two boxes, the functionality it provides doesn’t count. Okay.:rolleyes:

The ESG transponder and the Stratus AHRS sensor were packaged and shipped in the same box. Does that count?

A 345 Remote has part of its electronics in a separate box. Does that make it less functional?

One more question, if you did not need to feed a Garmin navigator with ADS and FIS information, (in other words there are no Garmin navigators in the panel) would you spend $6000 for a 345 when an ESG would give exactly the same functionality for a little more than half the price? These are different, although related, products for different applications. Believe it or not there are aircraft that have panels without a Garmin navigator installed.

Come to think of it, you were wanting an apples to apples comparison. Such a comparison, and a very balanced one, would be a 335 compared to an Appareo (Stratus) ESG transponder with no 3i AHRS sensor. They would both provide the same functionality except the Appareo would be about $1000 or $1500 cheaper.

I assume that Appareo knows what they're selling, and the Stratus ESG is listed as an ADS-B out only box that has a built in WAAS GPS receiver. In other words, it would be more like a GTX 335. I simply wanted people to know that one transponder is not like the other so there is no confusion, as your post suggested that it was an all in one box.

For the record, I would buy the Garmin even if I had no other devices to connect it to at the time of install because I think it is worth the extra cash for future compatibility. Of course this assumes that the airplane is worth sinking money into in the first place. I don't need any transponder for 99.99% of the flying I do.

Good grief! Did you not read what I wrote and reiterated?:eek: I never said, or even remotely implied, that an ESG is “an all in one box” whatever that is. Since I own, selected and use both a 345 AND an ESG in two different aircraft, I know full well the differences as well as anyone can know these differences.

Go read the very last paragraph I wrote before your previous post.

I don’t at all argue that if your plans involve a Garmin Navigator in the future, a 345 could be a good investment. Not every panel has that in their future, however. If you have the need for the functionality of the 335 or the ESG without the 3i, WHICH IS THE SAME FUNCTIONALITY when in a non navigator panel, you will enjoy a significant savings with the ESG.

In my case, my 345 came AFTER my Garmin navigator. The 430W was in the panel long before the looming ADS-B requirement. When it came time to prepare for ADS-B, the 345 became the obvious choice because the navigator decision had been made long before.

Actually, comparing a 335 to an ESG with the 3i is not a fair comparison (apples to apples as you like to express it. In that comparison, the ESG with the 3i brings much more functionality for much less money. I will concede that IF your crystal ball tells you that a Garmin Navigator is for sure in that panels future, then there would be advantages to a Garmin Xponder installation. In the real world, however, believe it or not there are airplanes out there that will never have a navigator in their future and those owners are almost certainly operating on a limited aviation budget.

I’m curious. If you only “need any Xponder” for .01% of the flying you do, then why is this an issue for you?

I ended up getting a used tailbeacon on eBay for $1400 and had a friend do the install for free. Total investment $1600 including the repair/recert of my old transponder.
Worked perfectly on the first flight with no errors on the PAPR.
I figure if my old Narco 150 dies I can replace it cheaply. Lots of functioning one on the market for a couple hundred bucks and they’re only going to keep dropping in value.
This setup should last me a few years at least.

The Stratus ESG is obsolete.

The word "obsolete" implies it is no longer capable of doing the job. I don't believe that is the case here and that you choose the wrong adjective.

I ended up getting a used tailbeacon on eBay for $1400 and had a friend do the install for free. Total investment $1600 including the repair/recert of my old transponder.
Worked perfectly on the first flight with no errors on the PAPR.
I figure if my old Narco 150 dies I can replace it cheaply. Lots of functioning one on the market for a couple hundred bucks and they’re only going to keep dropping in value.
This setup should last me a few years at least.
Yeah, I went this way as well. I picked up an AT 150 TSO on Ebay for $50 to keep on the shelf as a slide in replacement. I'll replace both when the skybeacon dies, but there should be enough old Narco transponders around until then.

Back