Repaint Fuel tanks

Indiana_Pilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Flying "B"
When I bought my Cherokee 180 the fuel tanks were replaced well before I bought it but after a nice paint job was done on the plane. The color is off and faded enough for me to want to match the paint to the rest of the wing.

At this point even if it didn't perfectly match but had a better finish then I would be happy.

Has anyone only had the tanks repainted while still on the plane and how much did you pay?

Has anyone tried it themselves? What brand pain did you use?
I am no paint pro but I am confident I can mask and paint to make it better than it does now..

any suggestions other than don't try it ... :wink2:

Ideally, the logbook entry for painting the plane would identify the paint type and color but that paint has probably also faded so using the same paint probably wouldn't match exactly. If the gas caps weren't painted with the new tanks, they would be good samples for a paint match as they would have had the same exposure to the elements as the top of the wings. If they were repainted with the tank replacement, then inspection covers from under the wing might do. I know that you can get auto paints matched and packaged in a spray can (some O'Reilly auto stores). Hopefully, someone will respond that knows what they are talking about.

If it's been more than 5-6 years since the tanks were out, then it's time to remove them and change the hoses. While they're out take them to a local body shop to paint. Dont forget to order a bag of new screws, replace all of them.

I do this for a living. I would offer a suggestion.
Remove a panel of the color that you want. Carry it to your local autobody supply store, and have them "take a picture" of it with a photo spectrometer. Then mix about a quart of singlestage (if it's a solid color) or base/clear (if a metallic).
Then get all the supplies you need, (masking tape, masking paper, plastic, etc.)
and paint them. The color should be a fair match, if not, you can blend it out into the next panel for a seamless repair.
Not reccomended to be done in a T hangar, or on the ramp, unless you don't mind buffing out the airplanes on either side of you due to overspray.
Don't count on the paint type, and color, being listed in the logs. Often times it's not.

I would offer a suggestion.
Remove a panel of the color that you want. Carry it to your local autobody supply store, and have them "take a picture" of it with a photo spectrometer.

O'Reilly's is really good at this. They were able to match the colors of my previous Skyhawk to a T. Need to take them a panel from my Lance...just haven't had a good opportunity.

Back