Renting away from home?

ScottK

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ScottK
What do rental places usually like to see for a first time renter? Proof of renter's insurance, logbook... Do they issue some sort of preflight test along with the check ride?

Just curious what to expect. I'm hoping to do a little flying in Jersey later this summer and trying to get things in order.

I've just shown 'em a cert and medical. They are doing to check you out in the plane anyway.

I've had them want to see a logbook so they could check your BFR. Other than that, just the certificate and medical.

My first-time experience was a 0.6 hour "checkout" where I demonstrated one engine-out and one normal landing, plus normal maneuvering. It would have been shorter if it weren't for the weird local procedures at KVUO. That's one of those mythical nontowered Class D airports, and it's in excruciatingly close proximity to KPDX.

When I told the instructor I intended to fly around the Cascades, he wanted to see that I had at least one mountain landing in the logbook (I did), even though I wasn't planning on landing in the mountains.

I've had them want to see a logbook so they could check your BFR. Other than that, just the certificate and medical.

My certificate was (re)issued within the past 24 months of renting. If they can't figure it out, I probably don't want to be up in one of their planes.

I have family in S Florida and I ran into a peculiar situation and was unable to even rent a plane the first three trips down that way. I have not had good luck renting for a single use while on vacation. perhaps it is due to my vacationing in Florida where all the schools are. they just do not seem to be interested in someone who is only going to rent two or three times over a week or two, even if you tell them you will be back 2-3 times a year.

They will want your medical, Certificate, logs and a check ride, maybe even a 2nd check ride if they do not like the cut of your jib. Then they may or may not let you rent the plane and have it unavailable to their CFI's and students.

If you are just doing it once and don't have heavy passengers best bet is to rent the plane with the CFI right seat. Otherwise it can be a PIA, even when everyone has good intentions, through in weather and normal dilly dallying and getting checked out then going flying can take your entire vacation.

My certificate was (re)issued within the past 24 months of renting. If they can't figure it out, I probably don't want to be up in one of their planes.

So was mine...which is why when they asked for the logbook and I didn't bring it, I pointed them right at that date :)

If you are just doing it once and don't have heavy passengers best bet is to rent the plane with the CFI right seat. Otherwise it can be a PIA, even when everyone has good intentions, through in weather and normal dilly dallying and getting checked out then going flying can take your entire vacation.
We rented a 172SP in Maui in about 1.5hrs of dilly dallying it was a quiz and a brief checkride. Super easy and I'd do it again. plus the checkride is good for 90 days if I wanted to rent again during my stay.

Another nice thing about doing the FAA WINGS phase...you get a little wallet-sized certificate that you can print out and take with you to show you don't need a flight review.

Would it be desirable to have the logbook on hand, even if they don't ask for it, so that the CFI can sign it after your check-out flight? Seems to me the check-out is a lesson, so the CFI should sign it.

I have gotten a reissued certificate for $2 in the past two years. Don't have to have it reissued for a new rating to get a new date AFAIK.

I do happen to have my original paper one from back in the 60's. :lol:

Cheers

Would it be desirable to have the logbook on hand, even if they don't ask for it, so that the CFI can sign it after your check-out flight? Seems to me the check-out is a lesson, so the CFI should sign it.

As long as you're rated in category/class you would be acting as pic during the "checkout." The CFI is only there for insurance to make sure you're competent. At least that's how mine went.

I've done a zillion of them, and a rental checkout is not a lesson. I have never put my name in their logbooks.

Bob Gardner

I have family in S Florida and I ran into a peculiar situation and was unable to even rent a plane the first three trips down that way. I have not had good luck renting for a single use while on vacation. perhaps it is due to my vacationing in Florida where all the schools are.

Miami area is the pits, the FBOs are ran by jerks, including the "recommended" ones. At best they waffle around and agree to rent, then find some bogus excuse not to. Your only sure bet is to pay thorough your nose to get an SR-20 at Platinum. It's $190/hr dry but at least they let your fly the mission.

The S.Florida is well overdue for OpenAirplane and some franchizing standards.

Fortunately this is not how FBOs are ran elsewhere in the country.

The couple of times I've done it, to get a quick aerial view of a work site, they didn't want anything other than a credit card.

At our school

Logbook (BFR and idea of the type of flying the renter has done)
Medical
License

The checkout flight, .6 to 1hrs average based on skill level demonstrated in the Grumman:
Basic PTS to the spec of their ticket, steep turns, slow flight, full stalls and one falling leaf stall (Grumman thing), take offs and landing, simulated engine failure.

Renters insurance with hull coverage, THIS IS NOT THE NORM, just something we do to keep rental costs down, good for regular renters not so much for transient renters.

I have flown with an instructor I pulled from the back page of Pacific Flyer (it WAS 20 years ago). I flew in NC out of Dare with a local FBO with an instructor. The following year, I checked out in a Piper Warrior with a quick run over to the beach and back where he was particularly interested in my radio procedures and my landings. After a couple of TO&Ls, he signed me off to take the plane for the day. The following year was just one trip thru the pattern.
The company that took over that NC FBO had a stipulation limiting you to a two hour window and you couldn't take the plane across the state border. And they wanted a full checkout regardless of your logbook. So I checked with airport management who directed me to a CFII with a C172. After a taxi in a stiff wind to the gas pump, we taxied back, he signed me off, and off we went. Happens that he would have also been the CFII who flew the FBO checkout. He did not have kind words for their rental policy. I think I left a check for $700 or so for the 6 hours of flying. I felt like telling the FBO "See what you missed".
So my medical, license and logbook were all checked by everyone. Recent time in type seemed interesting but irrelevant.

A new date on a re-issue certificate does not establish a flight review 24 month date.

I needed a new certificate to read "English Proficient" for my trek across Canada. Got a new "issue date" that has no correlation to a new rating, flight review, nada nothing.

An issue date on a certificate is not valid to establish a flight review date, so "show me your logbook" for the flight review.

And they wanted a full checkout regardless of your logbook.

SAY IT AINT SO!

I find people's "experience" interesting but irrelevant

Many people who look good on paper cant fly worth beans.

Some with little on paper fly rather well

Inverse is true too

Only way to find out is to do a good checkout

Saves my airplane, saves the renters life, my plane my call

None of you signing up for OpenAirplane?

I'm shocked, I tell ya... shocked. :)

I hate to pick on it, but... just read the replies above and tell me if it's going to take years to convince some of the above folks to trust a "remote" check-out that someone can walk in and fly off in their airplanes.

Don't get me wrong. I love that Rod is trying to make a go of it. I just don't see it happening yet.

As long as you're rated in category/class you would be acting as pic during the "checkout." The CFI is only there for insurance to make sure you're competent. At least that's how mine went.

If you're eligible to act as PIC, then you *could* be the PIC for the flight. Or the CFI could be. It's up to the two of you to establish that before you start.

Last edited:
None of you signing up for OpenAirplane?

Thanks, I hadn't known about OpenAirplane.

I just went to sign up, but I notice that they require participating pilots to have renter's insurance that includes, in addition to liability coverage, at least $1,000 of coverage for damage to the rented aircraft.

My renter's policy doesn't include aircraft damage coverage. For coverage as little as $1,000, it's better to self-insure.

Miami area is the pits, the FBOs are ran by jerks, including the "recommended" ones. At best they waffle around and agree to rent, then find some bogus excuse not to. Your only sure bet is to pay thorough your nose to get an SR-20 at Platinum. It's $190/hr dry but at least they let your fly the mission.

The S.Florida is well overdue for OpenAirplane and some franchizing standards.

Fortunately this is not how FBOs are ran elsewhere in the country.

FYI, Platinum has closed its doors.

Oh cool I'm at kblm 17nm away you can rent from eagles view at monmouth tell her marcos sent you.

Back