Renting a Personal Locator Beacon?

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
Has anyone had experience renting a PLB? It would be nice if we had one for our trip in May, especially since we will be in some desolate, isolated areas, but buying one isn't in our budget.

ill ask Leah, pretty sure they rented Sat Phones and maybe PLBs for her canoe trip up into the tundra.

maybe check out www.equipped.org, Doug Ritter may have some suggestions

One nice thing about the PLBs is that they supply contact information, so that if the beacon goes off, the people you listed will be called. I registered by mail, although I believe there is a way to do it over the internet. Just not sure how long it takes to update that info, which may alter the benefit of renting one.

A while back Kennyflys offered a deal on the Aerofix PLB. Might want to PM him.

Jon

Yes, they're available for rent. I found that out AFTER we bought two of them for the upcoming Alaska trip. Want to borrow one?

edit: Here's a rental site that came up with a quick Google: http://www.plbrentals.com/

Yes, they're available for rent. I found that out AFTER we bought two of them for the upcoming Alaska trip. Want to borrow one?
Wow! How nice of you Grant! :yes: How about if I rent it from you? When are you leaving for Alaska? Are you taking two airplanes...is that why you got two of them?

I'll PM you.

That sounds like the best deal on the web!
I love this board!
There are some really great people here. :yes:

Wow! How nice of you Grant! :yes: How about if I rent it from you? When are you leaving for Alaska? Are you taking two airplanes...is that why you got two of them?

I'll PM you.

There are some really great people here. :yes:
We're leaving right after Airventure, though we'll stop at home for a day or so first. We got two because there are times we don't like to share! :goofy:

When are you leaving for your May trip again? I'm wondering if we could arrange a handoff beforehand via Wings participants.

We're leaving right after Airventure, though we'll stop at home for a day or so first. We got two because there are times we don't like to share! :goofy:

They got two because there are times when they don't occupy the same space.

Besides, maybe if TWO signals go up at once they'll REALLY take it seriously. :rolleyes:

When are you leaving for your May trip again? I'm wondering if we could arrange a handoff beforehand via Wings participants.
We hope to leave about May 8th, weather permitting. It might take us two days to get to Marfa if we have much of a headwind or storms.

We hope to leave about May 8th, weather permitting. It might take us two days to get to Marfa if we have much of a headwind or storms.
So Wings would be too late. We could mail it then. Drop me a PM and we can work something out. There's registration information site associated with these so they can more efficiently find you should the unthinkable happen. We'll want to set it up so you can keep the site updated with your current info.

So Wings would be too late. We could mail it then. Drop me a PM and we can work something out. There's registration information site associated with these so they can more efficiently find you should the unthinkable happen. We'll want to set it up so you can keep the site updated with your current info.
Thanks Grant! :)

I just found a thread on backcountrypilot.org that someone just started comparing the SPOT satellite messenger to the PLB. Interesting reading.

Besides, maybe if TWO signals go up at once they'll REALLY take it seriously. :rolleyes:

It sounds funny, but since we tend to occupy somewhat similar spaces for the longer flights, I actually entered a comment when registering the PLB: "If this one goes off, don't be surprised if you see a second signal not too far away..."

Yes, they're available for rent. I found that out AFTER we bought two of them for the upcoming Alaska trip.

Grant

Which ones did you buy? I'm pretty much convinced that I will buy a PLB as oppsed to a SPOT. I'm pretty much thinking the AeroFix 406 PLB.

Dave :blueplane:

Grant

Which ones did you buy? I'm pretty much convinced that I will buy a PLB as oppsed to a SPOT. I'm pretty much thinking the AeroFix 406 PLB.

Dave :blueplane:
We got the smaller version:

The ACR MicrOFix 406 GPS PLB weighs just 10 ounces and is 35% smaller than the TerraFix. In addition to the location information provided by satellite Doppler technology, the MicrOFix also has a built in GPS providing even more precise location information (to within 110 yards) to be transmitted as part of the distress signal. The MicrOFix does NOT float and once activated will broadcast a distress signal for 40 hours @-4F or 8 hours @-40F. DOWNLOAD ACR Spec Sheet Here

We got the smaller version:

The ACR MicrOFix 406 GPS PLB weighs just 10 ounces and is 35% smaller than the TerraFix. In addition to the location information provided by satellite Doppler technology, the MicrOFix also has a built in GPS providing even more precise location information (to within 110 yards) to be transmitted as part of the distress signal. The MicrOFix does NOT float and once activated will broadcast a distress signal for 40 hours @-4F or 8 hours @-40F. DOWNLOAD ACR Spec Sheet Here

Thanks

I WANT one that floats. I do that Lake Michigan and Lake Erie thing every now and then. I'd hate to drop it, but If I did they'd probably hear the "AW SHI*" and be able to locate me that way. :rofl:

Thanks

I WANT one that floats. I do that Lake Michigan and Lake Erie thing every now and then. I'd hate to drop it, but If I did they'd probably hear the "AW SHI*" and be able to locate me that way. :rofl:
Well, you should have it attached to your body (or your life vest), so as long as you're floating, it'll be floating! :yes:

Thanks

Dave,

The non floating one is still water resistent to a decent depth. Clip it to yourself. If you don't float, it probably wont matter that it doesn't! :rolleyes:

Barb

Oops, Grant is quicker than I am. I've got the MicrOFix also.

Last edited:
Dave,

The non floating one is still water resistent to a decent depth. Clip it to yourself. If you don't float, it probably wont matter that it doesn't! :rolleyes:

Barb

Oops, Grant is quicker than I am. I've got the MicrOFix also.

I repeat myself. I WANT FLOAT :yes:

I've just spent the last two hours reading all about them on the internet and finally decided on which one I wanted and now you want to mess it all up. Tanx Barb :confused:

And yes I have life vests. Now if I could just find an inexpensive raft. (and a waterproof radio and etc and etc maybe fill the cooler with beer etc)

BTW the AeroFix 406 that I'm getting also has an internal GPS. I wouldn't go any other way.

Last edited:
I repeat myself. I WANT FLOAT :yes:

I've just spent the last two hours reading all about them on the internet and finally decided on which one I wanted and now you want to mess it all up. Tanx Barb :confused:

And yes I have life vests. Now if I could just find an inexpensive raft. (and a waterproof radio and etc and etc maybe fill the cooler with beer etc)

BTW the AeroFix 406 that I'm getting also has an internal GPS. I wouldn't go any other way.
There are rafts available for rent:

http://xpda.com/flyingtoeurope/#mozTocId931727 said:
Life Raft

A life raft is legally required to cross the Atlantic.

There are a lot of life rafts available for general aviation. They seem overpriced, which is a natural occurrence in aviation, but they are still a lot cheaper than your traffic avoidance system or weather radar. Here's a good review of general aviation life rafts:

http://www.equipped.com/raftstoc.htm

The Winslow rafts seem to be good:

http://www.winslowliferaft.com/raft_category.asp?raft_cat_id=4

Here's one place you can take a course and rent a life raft and immersion suit (a.k.a. survival suit):

http://www.flythepond.com/index.html
That's certainly cheaper than buying one! Of course, if you do it regularly, it is certainly easier to actually purchase one.

And most of the 406's these days have the internal GPS. Certainly all the ACR ones we've mentioned.

Last edited:
With all the dumb ass regs on the books and problems that SAR entails, it fits right in that the $150 SPOT with tracker on is NOT required equipment for virtually any GA flight. It will be in my amphib for virtually all its sea and mountain flights.

Get thee down to a marine store and take a look at the Aquafix 406. Same thing, might be more economical than the aviation model. While you're at it try sticking one in your pocket or cliping it onto yourself and think through how you're going to wear it in the cockpit. I have one - it's like wearing a large coffee mug. It's enough of a PITA that I don't wear it nearly as often as I should. I hear you about wanting it to float as I do plenty of long overwater flights myself (in the Bermuda Triangle!) I really wish the MicroFix had been available back when, though.

(Hmmm... Want an Aquafix? Only been carried around by a little old lady on her way to church on Sundays. Then I could get a MicroFix and we'd both be happy.)

Regards,
Joe

Henning has said he can get a better price on PLB's not sure about the Micro model though.

I can get an excellent price on any ACR product, but I'm on my way north right now and won't be back down for a couple of weeks at least. I can probably also get a volume discount if there's a group of people wanting the same thing. Just walking into West Marine beat the best price at SnF by $100, and that was without any discount.

Thanks Grant! :)

I just found a thread on backcountrypilot.org that someone just started comparing the SPOT satellite messenger to the PLB. Interesting reading.
Just thought I'd bring this thread back up.

I started reading about SPOT a while back and had been toying with the idea of it or a PLB. I finally broke down a few weeks ago and purchased a SPOT and a year of full service. The maiden voyage was a mountain flight across the Rockies from KAPA south of Denver to KGJT (Grand Junction) on the western slope. I sent a "check-in" message when I was about to leave KAPA, but made a mistake and didn't set it on track until closer to Eagle (near Vail). But after that, it tracked my progress every 10 minutes as advertised.

I loaded the tracks for both the flight to KGJT and the trip back home the next day into a Google Map.

http://tinyurl.com/5j64sx

Funny, but the single most impressive thing to me was the accuracy. If you zoom into KGJT you will see exactly where I parked when I arrived and exactly where they moved my airplane to tie it down.

Funny, but the single most impressive thing to me was the accuracy. If you zoom into KGJT you will see exactly where I parked when I arrived and exactly where they moved my airplane to tie it down.
I know where to start looking for you at KAPA now too. :)

Back