Renting a King Air

davyvfr

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Dave
Hello,

I don't know if this is possible, but where could one rent a King Air BE-90C for training purposes? I live in the Phoenix area (AZ). I don't know if an ATP school is what I should be looking at, since this isn't for career purposes, just recreational.

Not a clue but, may I ask what kind of training are you wanting to do that requires a KA?

I think he wants to fly a King Air recreationally.

Yes, I could train for a multi engine rating in any other aircraft though. I found an owner who is willing to lease out a KA BE-90C for a month.

They do mostly pro pilot programs. I have no direct knowledge but, I doubt you could rent a KA and instructor. I am not even sure they have a primary multi program. Their commercial multi add on is close to $20,000.
I would think the market for primary multi training in turbine aircraft is pretty soft.
But, hey it is your money. If you are already instrument rated and got an extra $20K laying around I am sure they will accommodate you. If you need the IR and want to get it in the KA at the same time throw another $30K at them and I am sure they will fix you up.
Remember when you talk aviation and kerosene at the same time you can not be asking how much.:rolleyes:

Considering it is a Beechcraft, and burns god only knows what per hour of Jet A,, I would say off hand it probably ain't that bad..

That was my thought. $800/hour is cheap. We figured the Cheyenne at around $900/hr.

That was my thought. $800/hour is cheap. We figured the Cheyenne at around $900/hr.

It's gotta burn 80 GPH X 5.00= $400 in fuel alone.:dunno: so, it does seem cheap, are there strings? Like their $125 hour instructor? :D

And that's the retail rate... $750/hr wet is a block rate. But I don't have any info on how much needs to be on deposit to get that for the C90.

It's gotta burn 80 GPH X 5.00= $400 in fuel alone.:dunno: so, it does seem cheap, are there strings? Like their $125 hour instructor? :D

:D Their cadre wishes they got paid that much...

The only "string" I know of at that FBO is that to rent any of their aircraft, you must be enrolled as a student and earning a rating. They ceased renting to non students March 2012.

At low power settings even at low altitudes you should not burn quite that much but your point is well taken. I still bet DOC is north of $650. There is nothing wrong with the price, in fact they advertise $750 if you buy block time. It is still going to be an awful expensive multi. Seems more practical to just get a multi the old fashioned way in a light twin. If the OP is already IR then perhaps go to an initial sim school for the 90. Then it might be worth it to the OP to rent a block of 5 hours along with an instructor and get some actual turbine time?

And what Aggie said I think is correct as I alluded to in my post #9. Not sure you can just walk in and rent the KA and an instructor without being in one of their programs. Mucho dollars.

Last edited:
Hello,

I don't know if this is possible, but where could one rent a King Air BE-90C for training purposes? I live in the Phoenix area (AZ). I don't know if an ATP school is what I should be looking at, since this isn't for career purposes, just recreational.
What kind of experience do you have at this point? Or at the point you would be wanting to rent a King Air for training?

Hicks here also has KA training, but I don't know what's required to participate.

Best,

Dave

:D Their cadre wishes they got paid that much...

The only "string" I know of at that FBO is that to rent any of their aircraft, you must be enrolled as a student and earning a rating. They ceased renting to non students March 2012.

Well, it would be one way to get a pressurized endorcment...:D

Considering it is a Beechcraft, and burns god only knows what per hour of Jet A,, I would say off hand it probably ain't that bad..

It's 10 times what I pay.... For my rather shallow pockets, $800/hr is a ton no matter what kind of plane I'm flying.

Also, do you think you're covered for insurance for the $2.50/hr they mention?

I operated an insurance-approved KA school for ~7 years starting in 1997. The carriers would allow (insure) for in-plane training in 90's but not in 200's or larger.

The hourly dry-lease rate at the time was $400-500 depending on suffix (B's were cheapest, F's were highest) with hourly fuel cost of $300-400 depending on engines. Both lease rates and fuel have increased since then, so the $800-900 per hour that's being kicked around here would seem to be about right.

I operated an insurance-approved KA school for ~7 years starting in 1997. The carriers would allow (insure) for in-plane training in 90's but not in 200's or larger.

The hourly dry-lease rate at the time was $400-500 depending on suffix (B's were cheapest, F's were highest) with hourly fuel cost of $300-400 depending on engines. Both lease rates and fuel have increased since then, so the $800-900 per hour that's being kicked around here would seem to be about right.

Well, it's 7.5 hours of in flight training, so that's $6,000 (fuel), plus rental cost, $700 an hour (I need to rent three days), and training cost $3,000. Not including recurrent training for the insurance. So, it's a little over $14,000.

Last edited:
If you do plan on renting a king air, get your multi first so you can log he KA time as PIC with an instructor.

If you do plan on renting a king air, get your multi first so you can log he KA time as PIC with an instructor.

Yes, I'm not doing my muti engine rating on the KA, way to expensive.

I know of a school in central ca at castle that does a block rate. The instructor I believe said 20k for 20 hours. Something like that.

Dave: I know several folks that are renting KAs on wet or dry leases. Is there someone locally that would do that? When you say for training purposes, is that for your training or to train others? Look into the insurance requirements to fly the plane. Do you have a lot of ME and turbine time? I made a pretty easy transition form a 58P baron. About twenty hours of dual with SIMCOM counting toward that. My partner had almost as much ME time, but no previous turbine time and he needs twenty hours of dual, approved school and 80 hours of accompanied time before he can be PIC.

Best,

Dave

Dave: I know several folks that are renting KAs on wet or dry leases. Is there someone locally that would do that? When you say for training purposes, is that for your training or to train others? Look into the insurance requirements to fly the plane. Do you have a lot of ME and turbine time? I made a pretty easy transition form a 58P baron. About twenty hours of dual with SIMCOM counting toward that. My partner had almost as much ME time, but no previous turbine time and he needs twenty hours of dual, approved school and 80 hours of accompanied time before he can be PIC.

Best,

Dave

This is for my training. I have an instructor already. I couldn't find anyone from Arizona willing to lease or rent their King Air.

It would probably be much more difficult to get someone to rent you a plane for training than once you're qualified and have time in the plane. Our insurer won't allow training in our plane except to get the owners qualified. As you know, training in the plane is hard on it; some things may not show up for awhile and all planes are the owner's baby. Keep checking. Seems the alternative would be to buy into one or take a course that offers time in one with a deal to rent once you're qualified. Always frustrating to try to move up. I had to purchase one, then get signed off. Actually, an owner let me lease it to see if I wanted to purchase it which I did.

Best,

Dave

Hey Guys,

I am the Chief Pilot for a company that runs King Air's. I have set up a training program to teach First Officer duties to low time pilots. The cost is $200 per flight hour which is just my instruction fee, and $75 for ground instruction. I provide housing and transportation. My web site is at kingairfirstofficer.com.

Right now we have a brand new GTx with the Proline 21 FMS which is the best out there. I can only help two to three pilots at a time, and I am mostly doing this to help the new pilots get a leg up. It took me over 20 years to finally land a turbine job, but if I had just 50 hours of turbine time I would have already been retired from the airlines!

Best, Rob

Back