Rental car "top off fee" even if you return it full!

I didn't know Signature was in the car rental business.

With only a couple exceptions, I rented strictly from Enterprise with very problems ever. The worst of these was trying to get one representative to remain at an office a few minutes past closing so I could get rid of a car on a Friday afternoon.

If I did encounter such tricks by a rental agent, they and their other customers would indeed realize my dissatisfaction.

So give 'em the $2 and make one of those the last dollar they ever get from you.

If everybody did that the problem would go away with the company.

I was pricing out rental cars for a trip, and found that Alamo wanted $140 for the car, but $180 for the fees and taxes! WTF?!?!?!?!

This whole taxes and fees thing is really starting to get to me. Makes comparisson shopping much harder these days.

Pete

This is the OPM mentality at it. I rent way, way too many cars in a year (in fact, if I take out our cross-country drives for our Ohio move, I've put more miles in rentals than my own cars this year!), and I only do a cursory check of the reciept. A $2 swing in price wouldn't set off any alarms with me (as I'm used to varying local and state taxes), so the firm would get the $2 per car without many even noticing. And most people, if they did notice, would say "Screw it" and just pay it.

For most of my rentals, that's an effective 1% bump pre-tax.

Sigh.

Cheers,

-Andrew

This is the OPM mentality at it. I rent way, way too many cars in a year (in fact, if I take out our cross-country drives for our Ohio move, I've put more miles in rentals than my own cars this year!), and I only do a cursory check of the reciept. A $2 swing in price wouldn't set off any alarms with me (as I'm used to varying local and state taxes), so the firm would get the $2 per car without many even noticing. And most people, if they did notice, would say "Screw it" and just pay it.

For most of my rentals, that's an effective 1% bump pre-tax.

Sigh.

Cheers,

-Andrew

After the way Budget treated me in Costa Rica , I have largely lost faith in rental car companies as well. I generally use Enterprise when I travel, as they have not yet gone off the deep end.

Last edited:
This reminded me, why doesn't AOPA have a discount for Enterprise? It seems that they are the best company to rent from if you're flying into a non major airport because they will deliver the car.

Because Phil Boyer only flys into major airports.

Because Enterprise actually believe that GA pilots should pay much more than those arriving by air carrier (if you don't believe it, try comparing rates at the same field).

Back