Rent car insurance [not really Av]

Do you purchase the rental agency's insurance?

• No, I decline it all (tell us if, and how you are covered)

Votes: 23 88.5%
  • Yes I buy it all (tell us why)

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • I purchase selective amounts (which ones, and why?)

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • some other option, please post

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Every time I am at the counter I scratch my chin and look off into the distance a while because even after lots of discussions with insurers and rental agencies, reading credit card pamphlets I'm never sure what to do.

I used to decline all insurance because I'd been under the impression that my own car insurance would carry over to anything I borrowed or rented. Not so says my State Farm agent.

So she sold me a non-owner policy for 6 months, although I did not renew it recently because it is pretty darned expensive.

Then last week VISA sent me a note saying that if I pay with their card I have certain coverages through them (the car is covered but not liability or personal injuries of occupants).

So now I am buying the latter two from the rental agencies usually at 15-20 per day.

Maybe someone else out there has more info?

Dave, there is a rider you can buy on your State Farm policy that will cover liability for a rented car. It's a lot cheaper than $5470 per year, which is $15/day x 365.

I don't get insurance because I'm not a stupid driver. If there is an accident, it will be the other person's fault, and their insurance will cover it.

bbchien said:
Dave, there is a rider you can buy on your State Farm policy that will cover liability for a rented car. It's a lot cheaper than $5470 per year, which is $15/day x 365.

If you have any details or even a ph #, I would like that Bruce - my agent says the only option I have with them is their non-owned. I think it is $700/yr.
I rent once a month so rent agency is cheaper til I find something else.

TMetzinger said:
Geico covers me anyway, and Amex will cover my deductible, so I decline.

Do you have anything in writing on that, I am very suspicious of verbal OKs from insurance people because of past lies they have told me.

Nick do you go bare with your airplanes too? What about those uninsured motorists in NM -- rampant, I hear!

Let'sgoflying! said:
If you have any details or even a ph #, I would like that Bruce - my agent says the only option I have with them is their non-owned. I think it is $700/yr.

Do you have anything in writing on that, I am very suspicious of verbal OKs from insurance people because of past lies they have told me.

Nick do you go bare with your airplanes too? What about those uninsured motorists in NM -- rampant, I hear!

I have both airplane and car insurance, as they're required. As for uninsured Motorists, NM requires Uninsured Motorist Coverage, so I'm covered there. I'm talking strictly with rentals. No insurance, never, no way.

My auto insurance covers me in any vehicle I'm driving, including rentals. AmEx covers the deductable, in most cases. The latest scam between the rental companies and the credit card/insurance companies is over "loss of use". The rental companies have started to charge "loss of use", and the insurance companies don't want to cover it because it's not part of the damage.

I was hit a few years ago while driving a rental. I turned it over to the insurance company and they handled everything, didn't even need to go to AmEx. I will say that the rental company claims people were not particularly nice to the insurance folks.

EDIT: I do usually take the rental coverage in Europe when I can get it for a reasonable price through the car broker (I use AutoEurope, who have treated me exceptionally well over the years). AmEx will cover the liability waiver, but in some countries the insurance is mandatory (Italy) and in others the avoidance of hassles makes it worth a bit more money on those few occasions whne I rent...)

Last edited:
Let'sgoflying! said:

My Geico policy explicitly states that rental cars are covered the same as my auto.
My Amex card agreement also dicusses their coverage.

Most gold-or-higher level credit cards offer this coverage, they are secondary to your auto insurance when you rent the car with the card.

Decline it all as both my company insurance, when renting on business, and personal auto insurance cover me in the rental.

I never accept it; as noted above, Gold and higher credit cards provide supplemental coverage, and in Texas (by law), your liability insurance covers rental cars. The rental agencies do not like to tell you this, because the "damage waiver" (it is *not* actually insurance, because if it were, the carrier thereof would owe *you* a duty) is a huge source of profit for the rental companies.

SCCutler said:
I never accept it; as noted above, Gold and higher credit cards provide supplemental coverage,

"Supplemental coverage", Spike - my Visa info says it covers their car. No PIP, no liability. Is that how you would define "S.C"?

and in Texas (by law), your liability insurance covers rental cars.

I don't understand why my State Farm agent says this is not so for me. Any ideas or how to proceed? Maybe I could find the statute and show them??

Thanks.

The coverage you get from a credit card is supplementary to your primary auto insurance.

So your auto insurance is the prime provider of liability and injury protection, and the credit card will typically cover your deductable on damage to the rental car.

Hmm..No idea...
Ask me in 5 years when I can rent a car.

*Insert rant here about renting $100,000 airplanes to fly across the country but not $10,000 rental cars to go across town*

Saving Money on Your Insurance

Rental Car Insurance Choices

Commissioner of Insurance
Knowing what your auto insurance covers and doesn´t cover can save you money and grief when you rent a car.
If you plan to rent a car in the United States or Canada, the first thing to remember is to take a copy of your proof of insurance card. The car rental agency may require it, and your insurance card can save you time and trouble if you´re stopped by a police officer or have an accident. Your Texas policy automatically meets the minimum liability insurance requirements of any state or Canadian province where you travel.
A decision that almost everyone who rents a car must make is whether to buy a collision damage waiver (CDW). A CDW waives the rental car company´s right to collect from you if the car is stolen or damaged while rented to you.
CDWs are controversial because they cost about $10 to $20 per day far more expensive than ordinary car insurance and may overlap with your own coverage.
A CDW might not be necessary because the property damage portion of your Texas auto liability insurance covers damage to a rental car if you cause an accident. Texas law requires rental car companies in Texas to tell you that a CDW may duplicate insurance you already have. Some premium credit cards also provide rental car coverage, but they usually pay only what your insurance company won´t pay. Don´t rely on your credit card without verifying what it covers.
There are times when a CDW is a good idea. If you carry only minimum liability insurance, the $15,000 for property damage might not fully pay for fixing or replacing a rental car. A CDW can help you avoid filing a claim on your own insurance that could raise your rates if you cause an accident that damages only the rental car. A CDW also can save time and hassle when returning a damaged rental car. These advantages should be weighed, of course, against the high cost of CDWs and the duplication of your property damage liability coverage.
You definitely should consider a CDW when renting a car overseas or in Mexico because your liability insurance covers you only in the United States and Canada. Before driving in Mexico you also should strongly consider buying an auto liability insurance policy written by a Mexican insurance company.
Car rental companies also offer rental liability and rental liability excess policies.
A rental liability policy provides primary bodily injury and property damage liability insurance for the state or country where you´re driving. You probably don´t need it when traveling in other states or Canadian provinces because your Texas policy already covers you. However, some kind of locally purchased auto liability insurance is essential in most other countries. Often, in fact, European car rental companies include the cost of all compulsory liability coverages in the car rental fee.
Rental liability policies are a must if you don´t have your own policy but plan to rent a car anywhere, including Texas. In Texas, rental liability policies do not cover damage to the rental car, so it´s a good idea to add a CDW if your only insurance is what you buy from the car rental agency.
Auto rental liability excess policies provide coverage only for the amount of your liability that exceeds the minimum limits of financial responsibility required by state law. A rental agency in Texas can sell you an excess policy only if you have your own liability policy in effect.
The Texas Department of Insurance (TDI) sets the policy language and rates for rental car liability and excess liability insurance sold in our state. TDI requires car rental agencies to clearly disclose that you may not need these coverages, that the coverage may duplicate insurance you already have and that buying auto rental liability insurance is not a condition for renting a car.
Texas Department of Insurance
Created/Updated 07-11-2001
Source: http://www.tdi.state.tx.us/commish/columns/cc0499.html

jangell said:
Hmm..No idea...
Ask me in 5 years when I can rent a car.

*Insert rant here about renting $100,000 airplanes to fly across the country but not $10,000 rental cars to go across town*
Talk to your peers who too often wrap rented (and other) cars around telephone poles.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-0606250442jun25,1,2768344.story?coll=chi-news-hed

My uncle in Flippen pointed out the curve that about a half dozen kids a year kill themselves on by talking it too fast.

Last edited:
Thanks for the research Spike, I'm going to send that to them and see what they say.

I usually decline coverage, as my insuance comapny (21st Century) will cover anything I drive. However, the last time I was in Vegas, the gal at the counter told me that I will get billed for loss of revenue if the car I'm in gets damaged, my fault or not, and that most insurance companies WON'T pay that.

And I did opt for coverage on the 17' U Haul truck/van I rented today. Pete's bike died on the way home from SoCal. Weed, CA to Seattle, WA. I figured 56$ is cheap insurance if something happens and the two motorcycles get damaged (insurance covers the vehicle AND all the contents.)

SkyHog said:
I don't get insurance because I'm not a stupid driver. If there is an accident, it will be the other person's fault, and their insurance will cover it.
Not in a no-fault state it won't.

Back