renewal of DM-II SI if oral medication changes

C

chapmro

I have a six year authorizatoin for SI of my 3rd class medical due to type II diabetes and hypertension (if Dr. Bruce is on here -- thanks for the help with that a couple of years ago). One of the conditions for the AME to renew my medical based on the SI authorization letter is that there is no change in my oral hypoglycemic medication. So far there hasn't been any. But, if I do have to change, is there any way to avoid being grounded for months while the AME defers the application to the regional flight surgeon? (that is what he did originally, saying it was quicker than Oklahoma City, but it still took months). If it matters, I take metformin for the diabetes.

Thanks.

There is no usual way to avoid this. However, I have called a number of these into OKC upon receipt of the letter from the internist and gotten immediate re-up authority, so it CAN be done. What they want, however is evidence that the new regimen results in the same control- which means the HbA1c, which averages 90 days' control, needs to be had upon presentation of the letter to OKC- meaning that ~60 days on the ground has already happened.

Bruce

Would you consider a change in the dosage you take per day a change in the SI? For example to go from 500mg to 750mg of metformin. Does this need to be reported and the paperwork re-submitted? :confused: Hasn't happened, just thinking ahead.

Thanks,
Ric

Would you consider a change in the dosage you take per day a change in the SI? For example to go from 500mg to 750mg of metformin. Does this need to be reported and the paperwork re-submitted? :confused: Hasn't happened, just thinking ahead.

Thanks,
Ric
I would not, but at the renewal it would be reported, and reissued if the HbA1c was just as good.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back