Renew Basic Med

AKBill

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AKBill
I just completed the course to renew Basic Med. Start to finish about 1 1/2 hours. Not a bad course, reviews go/no go factors as far as health.

I'm most likely going to an AME to renew my 3rd class medical as I will be flying into Canada later this summer. Good to go for another 2 years in the US..:)

Which course did you use? AOPA or Mayo Clinic?

I used AOPA. Good thing I copied/saved everything when I first applied for basic med. Made things go very smooth/easy..:)
I also recently re-upped via AOPA's system. But have on my list of "something to do when I don't have something to do" the Mayo Clinic one.

Some discussion occurred recently on the AOPA Red Board about BasicMed renewals. From that my interest on what info is on the Mayo Clinic one and how it's presented had me curious enough to give it a spin.

I also recently re-upped via AOPA's system. But have on my list of "something to do when I don't have something to do" the Mayo Clinic one.

Some discussion occurred recently on the AOPA Red Board about BasicMed renewals. From that my interest on what info is on the Mayo Clinic one and how it's presented had me curious enough to give it a spin.

I did not know Mayo Clinic was involved in basic med. I'll have to take a look that site. The reason I went basic med was there is only one AME in Juneau, and he takes the summer off. So no medicals during the summer months.

I may have to travel to Sitka or Anchorage to get my 3rd class medical renewed. Not happy about that..:(

I did the Mayo course, do not recommend it because the embed code words you have to observe to complete the section.

On those lines, I am up for 2 years this June, I am also visiting my primary doc for complete physical that I plan on turning in basicmed... so do I do the course only for the 2 year thing and so a new one when I see the doc? How does that work?

On those lines, I am up for 2 years this June, I am also visiting my primary doc for complete physical that I plan on turning in basicmed... so do I do the course only for the 2 year thing and so a new one when I see the doc? How does that work?
Go online do the course download and print course completion card. Download the checklist and form for the doctor. Get physical and keep the form the doc completes. After 2 years renew by taking the course again, download and print course completion card. You will be good for 4 years.

What Bill said.

Online course every 2 years, medical examination and doctor signature every 4 years.

I’ve avoided this as I’ve worked to drop some lbs. I’ve lost 20 but have, if I’m honest, 65 more to go.

How can I find out if my PCP will complete the exam? Assuming he’s never heard of it, hoe do I educate him?

Do you take the online course before seeing him? I thought I read I have to enter his information into the AOPA Site to take the online course?

I’ve avoided this as I’ve worked to drop some lbs. I’ve lost 20 but have, if I’m honest, 65 more to go.

How can I find out if my PCP will complete the exam? Assuming he’s never heard of it, hoe do I educate him?

Do you take the online course before seeing him? I thought I read I have to enter his information into the AOPA Site to take the online course?
  1. ask him.
  2. AOPA has lots of information at https://www.aopa.org/advocacy/pilots/medical/fit-to-fly-pilots
    1. In this includes info about which doctors are known to do BasicMed exams. While any state licensed medical doctor is permitted to do the exam, there are some who refuse. Reasons range from their doctors group not allowing them, to concerns about potential malpractice, to just not wanting the responsibility of certifying you for flight.
    2. If you doctor is willing, the physicians guide has the information that should answer all of his/her questions and provide guidance on how to proceed. Print this out and provide it to him/her. https://www.aopa.org/advocacy/pilots/medical/fit-to-fly-physician-guide
    3. If your personal doctor is not willing, many BasicMed pilots have found success using the "doc-in-the-box" clinics that do lots of physicals for DoT truckers, camps, schools, sports, etc. The BasicMed exam is just about the same thing, just a few FAA specific add-ons. So there has been very little push back from these doctors.
  3. Yes, you can do the online course before you do the physical exam. However, once you achieve a passing grade, the system will ask for the examining physicians information to complete the process. Since you won't have that, it will just save your progress until you can return to enter that. Once entered, then it will "log" the completion and allow you to print out the certificate that you keep in your logbook. Pro hint: Save that certificate as a PDF so if you lose the paper, you have a simple means to reprint.
Go through the AOPA page I linked above to familiarize yourself with the process. Feel free to come back with questions.

This video might help...

I couldn't find a GP that would sign off my Basic Med. Ended up going to an AME who gave me an extensive exam that would have qualified for a 1st Class. Charged me $200. The good news, it is valid longer and don't have to deal with the FAA.

Go online do the course download and print course completion card. Download the checklist and form for the doctor. Get physical and keep the form the doc completes. After 2 years renew by taking the course again, download and print course completion card. You will be good for 4 years.

i just finished the 2 year course thingy... something i noticed, after you finish the online course, you need to fill up the form that asks for the last physical date and the details of the Dr. etc. this and along with the text on the AOPA site : "You're also required, everytime you fill out the BasicMed certificate information, to provide your most recent BasicMed specific medical exam information." makes me believe that instead of doing the 2 year thing now, i could have waiting for my complete physical, have my dr fill up the check list and then do the quiz... and it would be valid for another 4 year (online course still due in 2 years).

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back