Removing Screws on KY97A Tray

Discussion in 'Maintenance Bay' started by jnmeade, Jul 2, 2016.

1. jnmeade

jnmeade Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jim Meade
    I'm removing a Bendix King VHF Com KY97A from my panel. The countersunk screws that hold the tray in are fastened into clips that have what looks almost like a small nut. For the life of me, I haven't been able to get the screws loose. I've used an offset Phillips screwdriver as the screws are hard to reach with a convention straight shank. I've applied considerable heat to try to soften any thread locker that might be there.
    Tomorrow, I'm going to try a pencil flame burner to heat even more. I may bend the shank on a screwdriver so I can get more pressure on it. I'm going to try to use a ratchet handle with #2 bit. If all else fails, I guess I'll get a Dremel and cut the screws off.

Any suggestions appreciated.

2. nrpetersen

nrpetersen Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    nrpetersen
    Next time use a sharp unplated Adel bit, degrease the screw heads and the bit, drive the adel bit with a 1/4 inch 6 point socket, an extension as long as possible, driving all with a 1/4 inch ratchet wrench. Wedge something in so that there is a lot of straight compression on the screw head (presuming it is phillips #2). Some have advocated putting coarse grinding grit on the Adel bit to give more bite. The extension prevents the ratchet from flipping out on you.

That's all the tricks I know short of heat. If you have to grind the head off, expect a bitch of a time getting the rest of it out. A dull or soft phillips (and worse with a little bit of lube to help it cam out) and a soft screw is usually responsible for this sort of problem.

You need an experienced motorcycle mechanic! Beer helps then.

3. jnmeade

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jim Meade
    These are some very good tips and I'll file them away for the (inevitable) next time I have a problem.
    Interestingly, I finally figured out how to get them out. I was able to hold the screw head solid and turn the nut clip a few degrees, rotate the screw and turn the nut clip again and so forth until the screw could be removed with the screwdriver.

4. Tom-D

Tom-D Taxi to Parking

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tom-D
    I'll bid your panel replacement at 5k, if you can save the aircraft.

5. Tom-D

Tom-D Taxi to Parking

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tom-D
    You do realize that the tray is .016" T-3 ????? So yeah, push a little harder it'll come out of there.

6. Velocity Avionics

Velocity Avionics Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Velocity Avionics
    I'd just carefully drill the screw heads off with a right angle drill and throw the nut plates away. you'll need new screws and nut clips anyway.

7. jnmeade

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jim Meade
    Thanks again to all for the suggestions. As I mentioned earlier, I got it figure out but there are many useful ideas that we can all benefit from.

8. jnmeade

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jim Meade
    Tom, I got the old radio out and the new radio in with only a little time and effort. Thanks for the offer. I will admit I can't make rate, but the job was done correctly and the radio functions well. :)

9. Tom-D

Tom-D Taxi to Parking

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tom-D
    This is good ,, right?

10. jnmeade

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jim Meade
    You're right. It's good when more of us E-LSA and E-AB owners can do our own work well. I appreciate all the help these forums provide us, even when we have to sort through some of the responses. I like to pay back a little as I did when I shared my tip. You old timers have a lot to offer, Including a bit of humor from time to time.

11. Tom-D

Tom-D Taxi to Parking

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tom-D
    I'm glad that you don't get uptight when I do. like others do.