Removing Screws on KY97A Tray

jnmeade

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Jim Meade
I'm removing a Bendix King VHF Com KY97A from my panel. The countersunk screws that hold the tray in are fastened into clips that have what looks almost like a small nut. For the life of me, I haven't been able to get the screws loose. I've used an offset Phillips screwdriver as the screws are hard to reach with a convention straight shank. I've applied considerable heat to try to soften any thread locker that might be there.
Tomorrow, I'm going to try a pencil flame burner to heat even more. I may bend the shank on a screwdriver so I can get more pressure on it. I'm going to try to use a ratchet handle with #2 bit. If all else fails, I guess I'll get a Dremel and cut the screws off.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Next time use a sharp unplated Adel bit, degrease the screw heads and the bit, drive the adel bit with a 1/4 inch 6 point socket, an extension as long as possible, driving all with a 1/4 inch ratchet wrench. Wedge something in so that there is a lot of straight compression on the screw head (presuming it is phillips #2). Some have advocated putting coarse grinding grit on the Adel bit to give more bite. The extension prevents the ratchet from flipping out on you.

That's all the tricks I know short of heat. If you have to grind the head off, expect a ***** of a time getting the rest of it out. A dull or soft phillips (and worse with a little bit of lube to help it cam out) and a soft screw is usually responsible for this sort of problem.

You need an experienced motorcycle mechanic! Beer helps then.

These are some very good tips and I'll file them away for the (inevitable) next time I have a problem.
Interestingly, I finally figured out how to get them out. I was able to hold the screw head solid and turn the nut clip a few degrees, rotate the screw and turn the nut clip again and so forth until the screw could be removed with the screwdriver.

I'm removing a Bendix King VHF Com KY97A from my panel. The countersunk screws that hold the tray in are fastened into clips that have what looks almost like a small nut. For the life of me, I haven't been able to get the screws loose. I've used an offset Phillips screwdriver as the screws are hard to reach with a convention straight shank. I've applied considerable heat to try to soften any thread locker that might be there.
Tomorrow, I'm going to try a pencil flame burner to heat even more. I may bend the shank on a screwdriver so I can get more pressure on it. I'm going to try to use a ratchet handle with #2 bit. If all else fails, I guess I'll get a Dremel and cut the screws off.

Any suggestions appreciated.
I'll bid your panel replacement at 5k, if you can save the aircraft.

Next time use a sharp unplated Adel bit, degrease the screw heads and the bit, drive the adel bit with a 1/4 inch 6 point socket, an extension as long as possible, driving all with a 1/4 inch ratchet wrench. Wedge something in so that there is a lot of straight compression on the screw head (presuming it is phillips #2). Some have advocated putting coarse grinding grit on the Adel bit to give more bite. The extension prevents the ratchet from flipping out on you.

That's all the tricks I know short of heat. If you have to grind the head off, expect a ***** of a time getting the rest of it out. A dull or soft phillips (and worse with a little bit of lube to help it cam out) and a soft screw is usually responsible for this sort of problem.

You need an experienced motorcycle mechanic! Beer helps then.
You do realize that the tray is .016" T-3 ????? So yeah, push a little harder it'll come out of there.

I'd just carefully drill the screw heads off with a right angle drill and throw the nut plates away. you'll need new screws and nut clips anyway.

Thanks again to all for the suggestions. As I mentioned earlier, I got it figure out but there are many useful ideas that we can all benefit from.

Tom, I got the old radio out and the new radio in with only a little time and effort. Thanks for the offer. I will admit I can't make rate, but the job was done correctly and the radio functions well. :)

Tom, I got the old radio out and the new radio in with only a little time and effort. Thanks for the offer. I will admit I can't make rate, but the job was done correctly and the radio functions well. :)
This is good ,, right?

You're right. It's good when more of us E-LSA and E-AB owners can do our own work well. I appreciate all the help these forums provide us, even when we have to sort through some of the responses. I like to pay back a little as I did when I shared my tip. You old timers have a lot to offer, Including a bit of humor from time to time.

You're right. It's good when more of us E-LSA and E-AB owners can do our own work well. I appreciate all the help these forums provide us, even when we have to sort through some of the responses. I like to pay back a little as I did when I shared my tip. You old timers have a lot to offer, Including a bit of humor from time to time.
I'm glad that you don't get uptight when I do. like others do.

Back