Removing Decals from Fabric

dmccormack

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dan Mc
My Chief has old registration decals from MI and IN on the tail. They are really on, and look like they are made of some pretty thick laminate.

What's the best way to remove these without damaging the fabric?

My Chief has old registration decals from MI and IN on the tail. They are really on, and look like they are made of some pretty thick laminate.

What's the best way to remove these without damaging the fabric?

What covering system do you have?

heat may over shrink the fabric and warp your structure.

If it's covered in ceconite it will shrink the underlying material and screw up the dope.
That is why you have to heat the sticker slowly so that only the glue is loosened. The glue only gets up to 80 or 90F and it will be loose enough to peel off. The plane is often heated by the sun to that temprature and the fabric does not shrink and cause damage. If you use a gentle heat and watch what you are doing it is possible. Don't go blasting the thing with a heat gun! That is also why you use a hair dryer as those tend to have less heat than a heat gun.

That is why you have to heat the sticker slowly so that only the glue is loosened. The glue only gets up to 80 or 90F and it will be loose enough to peel off. The plane is often heated by the sun to that temprature and the fabric does not shrink and cause damage. If you use a gentle heat and watch what you are doing it is possible. Don't go blasting the thing with a heat gun! That is also why you use a hair dryer as those tend to have less heat than a heat gun.

Yeah -- I have a heat gun, propane torches, and Coleman lanterns.

I'll start with the Hair dryer.

Stitts-Polyfiber

If the sticker is applied to the top coat of the polyfiber, try a little "Goof Off"around the edges, it should lift off OK, then rewax.

Tom D- is WD-40 compatible with the finish?

I use that to remove stickers from appliances...since it is thin oil, I'd think it was Ok...but thin oils have different solvating properties than engine oil.

Tom D- is WD-40 compatible with the finish?

I use that to remove stickers from appliances...since it is thin oil, I'd think it was Ok...but thin oils have different solvating properties than engine oil.

It shoulod be, its mostly solvent.

Back