(Remote Control) Turning on Your Engine Heater

phillipny

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
phillipny
If anyone is interested
--------
** First Iphone App to control your Airplane's Engine Heater (FREE) ! New Iphone app for the SwitchBox, on the Apple AppStore under the title "SwitchBox".

Just enter your SwitchBox #/plane's unique phone number, and you can control all the outlets this way now
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/switchbox/id568720032?ls=1&mt=8
--------

If you would like to order one, you can enter your home airport ID here and click the Paypal Button
http://pilotportraits.com/switchbox.html

Updated manual here
http://pilotportraits.com/switchboxmanual.pdf

Comes with everything ready to go and SIM card/account activated, dont need to pay for anything extra.

This is for remote controlling your airplane's engine heater, so you dont have to plug it in manually anymore.. You call the airplane (it has its own cellphone #.... and it turns on immediately and turns off after X amount of hours)

You can also use it to remotely start the A/C in the hangar, charge the GPS batteries, turn on Fans in the hangar, feed the dog, turn on coffee maker, etc, etc....

Notes
-----

Will allow you to:

- Turn on your Engine Preheater from anywhere in the world (via text message SMS or Phone Call)

- Verify that the engine preheater is turned on and activated (via text message confirmations to your cellphone)

- Custom White List to block all calls, except those on the "secure white list"

- Custom Timers that will run anywhere up to 18hours duration, after a phone call is received

- High Amperage 20A relays, can power 2 engine heaters or multiengine plane from one device

**We have a 100% guarantee on the box. If it doesnt work for any reason in the first 30 days, send it back to the shipping address and we will refund your money. We are pilots and customers of many other companies, so I'll try to make the best customer experience for everyone. **

switchbox082412_1.jpg

switchbox082412_2.jpg

SwitchBoxSampleTextingThread.jpg

SwitchBoxApp1.jpg

SwitchBoxApp2.jpg

Last edited:
Jeez, you are unrelenting.......

Didn't you have your spam advertising posts deleted on the AOPA forums?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Jeez, you are unrelenting.......

Didn't you have your spam advertising posts deleted on the AOPA forums?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I've seen the spam so many times at this point if I needed one, I wouldn't buy it.

I'm confused about your approach here. You advertise a (FREE) app but then sell the box. Why not post what you really have here "Remote engine preheater with iphone app control for $290"???

I think its a good idea, if implemented well probably a good product. I question the labeling on the boxes, is it a portrait photographer or a engine preheater?

For $10 you can get a thermostatically controlled wall outlet switch...its that easy

This fellow never gives up.
Marketing plan= spamming as many boards as possible.

For $10 you can get a thermostatically controlled wall outlet switch...its that easy

Yes, you can. But you really dont want to be heating up the oil to 70-90f and then letting it cool again. You will get moisture in there, which, if you dont fly for extended times can be a problem...

Sorry to bother you guys. Other forums allow inventors to post about their gadgets, by paying a Fee to the forum moderators. Thats why youve seen them on other sites.

Sorry again, Ive told the moderator already.

We'll do the Sportys/Aircraft Spruce thing, to not bother anyone.

Right, they call that paid advertising. The classifieds generally mean a person is selling something they own. Not selling a product or running a business.

The right approach as not to offend most would be to participate in the forum, and put a small tag/ad in your signature.
Or... approach the guys that run the board, and offer them $$, in return they give you some rotating ad or a sticky post in the classifieds, etc..

Good luck with your product. If I have a need I'd probably look into it.

regards,
Mike

I don't recall anything in the POA classified policy that precludes advertizing commercial products as long as they are aviation related. And while the majority of offerings here are indeed personal sales, there are several other commercial offerings as well. I don't understand why folks find Phillip's post offensive and IMO the posts complaining about it are coming pretty close to stomping (which is against POA policy).

C'mon folks, this was one (albeit rather large) aviation related post in the appropriate forum offering a product that at least two pilots I know have purchased with satisfaction. Now if Phillip had plaster this on all the POA forums I'd feel differently.

Sorry to bother you guys. Other forums allow inventors to post about their gadgets, by paying a Fee to the forum moderators. Thats why youve seen them on other sites.

Sorry again, Ive told the moderator already.

We'll do the Sportys/Aircraft Spruce thing, to not bother anyone.

I'm sorry, but slapping a sticker on an item built in china and claiming to be an inventor...lame!

We have used those relays in other applications for some time.

Btw....do you a UL listing?

How does this work.

I mean I get there is a phone app.

First question is do you have a driod app?

How is this device connected to the internet? Do you need a phone subscription?

How does this work.

I mean I get there is a phone app.

First question is do you have a driod app?

How is this device connected to the internet? Do you need a phone subscription?

They use pre-paid sim cards.

Nice setup, but too much money for me, I am planning on building the same thing using a $15 prepaid cell phone and maybe $30 at Digikey.

Why can't it sense if the receiver received the message or not? Should be easy to do a TCP like confirmation with SMS messages. That's my plan. I want to know if it turned on or not....

Last edited:
It is CE listed and will be UL listed shortly. Designed in New York City, Assembled and QC here as well. We have our own factory in China tooling the enclosures and the components involved, but its not the same relay system used by others. Its our own custom design.

The Iphone App was released earlier this month and next month we will support Android and future platforms. It works without the app, just makes it more convenient to program.

Network
----
The SwitchBox uses a TMobile Sim card inside, which is activated and $$ on the account when it arrives, so it works out of the box for 3 months and no extra work needed. After that period, its about $3/month to run it on the same Tmobile network.

The pictures are on many forums and in different forum discussions. I wanted to apologize to the forum members who maybe have seen the post again. I also wrote the Moderators here, and this thread may be deleted as well. I wrote in advance this time, and in general... hoping this contributes to an inventive platform of winter heating options, and feedback on making the WinterHeating App much better for everyone.

I'm sorry, but slapping a sticker on an item built in china and claiming to be an inventor...lame!

We have used those relays in other applications for some time.

Really? Can you point me to the existing product?

New app version 1.1 is on the AppStore, download for some new functions and support for all iPhone versions.

Also, manhattan got hit pretty bad with Hurricane Sandy, but we are still
Shipping to pilots on time

Nice setup, but too much money for me, I am planning on building the same thing using a $15 prepaid cell phone and maybe $30 at Digikey.
I'm interested. Build two, and I'll buy the other one.

Why can't it sense if the receiver received the message or not? Should be easy to do a TCP like confirmation with SMS messages. That's my plan. I want to know if it turned on or not....

Sorry guys, I disagree, this is classifieds and that is a hell of a usefull product that over the years has been at the root desire of more than a few threads. I read the add and thought 'Cool, now I know where to get one.'

Thanks for the post Henning, we have about 300x pilots in 2 months using the SwitchBox (in hangars all over the world) ... And the response has been great.

We just released V2 today.

Let me know if you have any questions
Phillip

Thanks for the post Henning, we have about 300x pilots in 2 months using the SwitchBox (in hangars all over the world) ... And the response has been great.

We just released V2 today.

Let me know if you have any questions
Phillip

Is the equipment MIL SPEC? Is it intrinsically safe for use in a combustible environment? Do you have/ can you receive ABS, MSA, USCG, or UL ratings?

I have more applications than a plane heater, but I have to get them passed muster.

The unit is CE tested and approved and undergoing UL rating.

I cant speak for its use in your combustible environment, without more details. Send me an email at support@pilotportraits.com and I can answer more specifically.

The unit has been tested in environments that include: Airplane Hangars, Workshops, Offices, Homes, Garages, etc. Mostly personal and small business environments in applications that include: heaters, air conditioners, lighting, Coffee Makers!, lawn equipment, etc. (Anything under 20As has been Ok)

Other than the fact you've installed the various cables, what's the difference between yours and the GSM-AUTO gadget?

Mine is a different circuit board and device.

Differences are:
- Power Supply internal instead of external/Wall Wart
- Waterproof External Antenna Jack for Wired Antenna or "L" elbow
- 3x PG11 grommets for 16AWG power cables, instead of 20AWG wire holes(x2)
- That Makes the GSM Auto relays only 10A to protect the Wire
- SwitchBox relays and wiring is 20A
- Prepaid Sim Card, Account and $$ Credit
- Custom Firmware
- 'Tap-to-Learn' feature on CircuitBoard for White List
- Iphone App Free

Last edited:
Thanks for the link Mike

Not my device

Some sample pics of the Android App. It must be installed as a side program at the moment, since its not on the App Store yet.

But I am sending it out to pilots on an email basis at the moment.

SwitchBox_Android1.jpg

SwitchBox_Android2.jpg

SwitchBox_Android3.jpg

SwitchBox_Android4.jpg

Back