Reminders.

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
Landing:

You know how when you fly into your 7,000 paved runway and you keep your ASI at "checklist speed" regardless of weight and you float a little ways past your intended touchdown point? Yeah, don't do that here.

You've got 2575' in usable length now, but your 5-10 extra knots of airspeed you carry because that's what your checklist says needs to be tossed out the cockpit. You float it down a 1000' feet like you do at your 7,000' home drome out here and you've just eaten up another 40% of your runway here. And you probably weren't touching down right at the cones to begin with. Remember, the lighter you get the lower your stall speed gets, and when you come blazing in at 80knots because that's what the book says, the far end will get to you a lot quicker than you might like. You aren't going to be coming in at gross weight, so don't fly at your gross weight checklist speed. Someone who came in a couple years ago can attest to that!

Also, you don't *have* to fly it in 30% over your stall speed just because the book says so. While I don't consider 2575 feet a short field, I still go with the Vs0 * 1.2 instead of Vs0 * 1.3 when coming in. If it's not gusty you've still got plenty of buffer, just remember you are further on the back side of the power curve so be ready to use that throttle a little more.

So, instead of using your gross weight Vapproach that your checklist "demands" you use, go through the calculations and fly the appropriate speed. My recommendation:

V6Y9 = Vso * sqrt (landing weight/gross weight) * 1.2

If your book numbers say 70kts on the approach your stall speed is going to be about 53kts. And say you're 10% under gross (2400lbs gross) by the time you get there. Using the above formula you'd get.

V6Y9 = 53 * sqrt(2160/2400) * 1.2
V6Y9 = 53 * 0.95 * 1.2
V6Y9 = 60kts

Do you think that carrying an extra 10knots of speed is going to use up more runway? You bet it is. Do those calculations!

Takeoff

Grass runway does not always equal soft field!!! We have excellent drainage, and I have taken the runway the day after a heavy downpour and it was not much different than taking off from a paved strip. I tend to go outside of book procedures because we are are a shorter strip, but we aren't paved. **Remember the short field procedures where you push the nose into the pavement until ready for take off? Don't do that here. It's still sod/turf/grass, and does have more give that pavement, so you are going to increase your takeoff roll by doing that. I use the short field flap settings, and perform a normal takeoff in regards to what you are doing with the nose. No need to have full back pressure like a soft field take off. We're grass, not soft. You'll use up more runway. And no need to push the nose into the ground either. Normal takeoff procedure, with short field flap settings is my recommendation.

Also - those trees at the west end are further away than they look, if your wheels are up by the pilot's room you are going to be ok. Don't get below the power curve on departure. Keep that nose level until your speed is up! This isn't a by-the-book airstrip. It's nothing overly difficult, it just takes a little thinking outside the box for those that are used to a mile or more of pavement underneath them.

** - applicable to tricycle gear aircraft.

Last edited:
Ed, Have you (or anyone else) found the sweet spot to aim for RE: small hump/bumps across from the FBO office?

Touchdown within the first 200' of where the east end of the runway was last year - prior to that hump at about 400' or so. I haven't landed on the new 400' yet, so I don't have a magic spot in that area yet.

LOL - I just saw your Walter avatar.

Yup,Ed is right on this. Keep your weight down,fuel to a safe minimum.
He wrote this after I told him about my three landings on one approach when I was there two weeks ago.:hairraise:
I knew better,but I still have the tendency to want to keep my speed at book speed. Also I found after flying at full cruise for 2 hr. 45 min to get there ,flying at the proper speed for approach,feels like you're going to fall out of the sky.
My suggestion is to practice shortfield T.O. and Landings prior to coming, for those who don't do short grass fields much.
When you do come, aim at a spot before the 6 yellow cones on the 28 approach end,touch down right at those cones at minimum safe speed. You will then have 2000 ft to stop. Those 40 ft trees are 300ft beyond the end of the runway,really!!! On the 10 approach aim before the displaced threshold,touch down at it, and you will have 2275 ft. to stop, the 30 ft trees are 150 ft from the end of the runway.
By the way, when I returned to my home base in Hastings (9D9) they had closed the 3900 ft paved runway for repaving. 9/27 grass was the only runways open. 27 was 1613ft and 9 was 1213 ft.
I forced myself to slow way down and had no problem with landing on 27.( This time, 1 approach ,1 landing:yes:)
So please practice a few,we want every one to come and go safely!!!!!!!
Watching Dr. Bruce 2 years ago in his Seneca, and last year Lance in his Baron land at 6Y9 was a thing of beauty.
See EVERYBODY there.
Brad- er I mean EL Conquistador!!!:cheerswine:

I want Ed to find me a 7000 foot runway.

• 3573 x 40 ft. SW 1000 FT PORTION TURF-GRVL.
  • 3270 x 40 ft.

And, yeah, we laugh at the guys coming in so fast and long you can hear the wind whistling over their wings. Bet that end looks really scary to them.

Brad, Thanks for the write up, we'll see what we see this year. Of course arrive with 30 gallons of fuel only, the whole back of the bus empty, e.g, 1200 undergross, get down early and hang it on the props.

I want Ed to find me a 7000 foot runway.

• 3573 x 40 ft. SW 1000 FT PORTION TURF-GRVL.
  • 3270 x 40 ft.
And, yeah, we laugh at the guys coming in so fast and long you can hear the wind whistling over their wings. Bet that end looks really scary to them.

I don't recall laughing at anyone who almost ran off the runway.

I don't recall laughing at anyone who almost ran off the runway.

Well, OK. We just shake our heads.

I need a briefing on 5000 foot runways. I always land where I have to power up to taxi to make the first turnoff. ;)

Well, OK. We just shake our heads.

I need a briefing on 5000 foot runways. I always land where I have to power up to taxi to make the first turnoff. ;)

But the first turnoff is usually at the numbers. Landing it that short?:hairraise::rofl:

But the first turnoff is usually at the numbers. Landing it that short?:hairraise::rofl:

The turn off was 'bout 1/4 mile ahead at IND. I was stopped in the bumpy stuff from the tire marks.

I had to taxi for a long time to get to the FBO ahead. Since I learned that day, I'll fly there next time. :D

Back