"Remarks"

SupraPilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
180MPH
Jut a quick question...what exactly do you guys put in the remarks section of your pilot's log..i know when i was training and when i would do maneuvers i would put that there..but what do you guys write when you just go on short day trips with your friends....100-150 nm?

just wonderin

Ant

I include who was with me, the purpose of the flight and sometimes what the weather was.

I put something there if it's "remarkable". IOW, if it's a Young Eagles flight, I'll put the name of the child. If it's a trip for a particular memorable purpose, e.g. taking my dad up for his first/only flight, I'll note that. OTOH, going out for a burger, or one leg of a multi-leg trip and I just leave it blank. Of course, if it's instrument conditions, I'll log the approach!

Where I went, who I was with, perhaps the reason for the flight ie POA flyin. All currency info, for IR certanily safety pilot if I had one.

Who was with me, where I was going and why, where I ate, the phone number of the hottie working at the FBO, what the flight was like (turbulence or smooth? etc), and whatever else I feel like writing in there. The real trick is to write something that will trigger your memory when you go back through your logbook 50 years from now. :yes:

SupraPilot said:
Jut a quick question...what exactly do you guys put in the remarks section of your pilot's log..i know when i was training and when i would do maneuvers i would put that there..but what do you guys write when you just go on short day trips with your friends....100-150 nm?

just wonderin

Ant

Nothing unless it was particularly noteworthy, then the remark is obvious "Lost prop counter weight, ended up upside down in crop"...stuff like that.
NEVER PUT IN ANYTHING THE FEDS CAN HOLD AGAINST YOU.

I record all instrument approaches (where and which approach) in actual or simulated instrument conditions (necessary for IFR currency -- see 61.51(g)(3)), name of safety pilot, formation notes (for annual requirements) like "3 of 4," or the purpose of the flight. I also note the name of any trainee I was training, what we did, and practical test recommendations (and outcomes) for CFI recordkeeping purposes.

If training I will either put what it was towards (Comm training, CFI training)
I will log any stops along the way. When I flew to Gastons I had 9D9 as departure, and 3M0 as the destination. In the remarks I put H88 and OXI as stops. Missed approaches or training approaches get logged in a separate table, which then prints out in that training log line.
I'll put safety pilot names in there if applicable, or of something was out of the ordinary, or interesting. Major turbulence or something. 5' off the frozen bay, etc...

When I take others with me, I ask THEM to fill in the remarks section and sign their name... my logbook has become a virtual "guestbook" full of "WOW, thanks for the magic carpet ride!!"-type comments that I still enjoy going back to read.

Troy Whistman said:
When I take others with me, I ask THEM to fill in the remarks section and sign their name... my logbook has become a virtual "guestbook" full of "WOW, thanks for the magic carpet ride!!"-type comments that I still enjoy going back to read.

Just hope they don't write something like "Thanks for the ride and buzzing the tower, that was cool" and then later having an FAA inspector look at your logbook and wonder if you are a hazard

smigaldi said:
Just hope they don't write something like "Thanks for the ride and buzzing the tower, that was cool" and then later having an FAA inspector look at your logbook and wonder if you are a hazard

Note to self... don't give Scott a ride! ;-)

I have yet to have any blank remarks sections except my first two, where the CFI didn't endorse the logbook and I never saw them again. I usually log why I flew, or even where I flew (even though I have TO and FROM fields).

For example:

$100 Hamburger in Amarillo. Good Burger
or
Flight to Santa Fe
or
Wx Diversion to Las Vegas.

Lame. Maybe I should leave some of the remarks blank.

Also - for really memorable flights, I log each leg as a separate flight. For example, I have:

KAEG-KBGD
KBGD-KTUL
KTUL-3M0

Logged as 3 flights, even though my intention was to fly to Gastons. Also have the trip to 6Y9 broken into legs, fills almost an entire page by itself.

Mike Schneider said:
Nothing that would hang me.
Keep in mind that in some cases, "nothing" can hang you. There are a number of items buried in the regs which must be recorded in your logbook, among them the location and type of each instrument approach used for 61.57(c)(1)(i) currency, landings which meet the 61.57(b) "one hour after to one hour before" requirement for carrying passengers in the dark as opposed to just "night" (which is probably the column title), takeoffs that meet 61.57(b) (for which there may be no column at all in your log), holding patterns for 61.57(c)(1)(ii), name of safety pilot when logging simulated instrument time, and probably some others I'm just not thinking of right now. As there are rarely if ever printed columns to log these, the Remarks block may be where they go, so don't forget to put them there even if the column titles don't remind you.

I think about what I did during the flight and write it so that I can look back and remember that day. I've met a lot of people flying that I wouldn't want to forget.

On the other hand I also think about what I'm writing and make sure that it could not be used against me. Quite often I word something very carefully :)

SkyHog said:
I have yet to have any blank remarks sections except my first two, where the CFI didn't endorse the logbook and I never saw them again. I usually log why I flew, or even where I flew (even though I have TO and FROM fields).
I'm with you here, even as much as I fly. I usually write down at least the name of the customer and the other crewmember. Makes it easier to remember what I did since I CRS. :rolleyes:

I always record the wind at my departure and destination aprts. Also any unusual wx, training maneuvers, purpose of flight, and who was with me. Basically anything to help me remember the flight and to show an increasing level of proficiency.

How many times I heard "Any traffic in the area, please advise." Which would be about 18 for the hour yesterday.
Actually, type of flight (VFR), navigation (pilotage,GPS, VOR), where or why (Photo flight, PAX new to small plane), anything important to currency with me or the plane, any curiosities or adventures.
One thing to remember is it is YOUR logbook. You can write a a page worth of stuff or nothing at all. If you don't log it, you can't use it for points to your next rating or to show currency. On that alone, it's worth a mention. One person mentioned a pilots logbook that was a journal. You had a page for each flight. And just because they only give you a tiny space for remarks, use the page if you want to.

Back