Remarks field on flight strip

dans2992

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Dans2992
Does anyone know how many characters ATC can see on the "remarks" field of the flight strip?

Dan

I think around 15 on the first print. They can request the full remarks section from the computer if it's cut off.

One of the ATC guys on here will know.

I counted last night on a terminal flight strip...21 characters till it got cut off

Enroute "flight strips" truncate everything after 35 characters. Controllers can input a FR (full route) message into the computer, which will print out the full route and all remarks.

You mean they actually read that section?

Maybe it's just me.

I filed a round robin. KABC-NDB-KABC and put that I was going to shoot the NDB approach into KXYZ and then return. "NDB 31 APPROACH KXYZ" was in the remarks section. They asked me my intentions as soon as I contacted them.

Is there any way I could have worded if better? I hate having to explain the flight over the radio.

You mean they actually read that section?

Maybe it's just me.

I filed a round robin. KABC-NDB-KABC and put that I was going to shoot the NDB approach into KXYZ and then return. "NDB 31 APPROACH KXYZ" was in the remarks section. They asked me my intentions as soon as I contacted them.

Is there any way I could have worded if better? I hate having to explain the flight over the radio.

Not all approach control facilities use strips these days, so no matter what you write, the controller may not know there are relevant remarks to be read.

If this facility does use strips, there is still the chance that another remark put in by your flight plan filing website pushed yours to the end (one of them lists the PICs name in the remarks section). ATC may have put something in there like "FRC TO NDB" which would have cut off most of your remark.

There really isn't a good way to guarantee that ATC will see your remarks. Your best bet would be to reiterate your approach request with the approach control on initial contact.

Not all approach control facilities use strips these days, so no matter what you write, the controller may not know there are relevant remarks to be read.

If this facility does use strips, there is still the chance that another remark put in by your flight plan filing website pushed yours to the end (one of them lists the PICs name in the remarks section). ATC may have put something in there like "FRC TO NDB" which would have cut off most of your remark.

There really isn't a good way to guarantee that ATC will see your remarks. Your best bet would be to reiterate your approach request with the approach control on initial contact.

Got it. Thanks for the help and will do.

I have visited the facility I was referring to. If I remember correctly, the strips printed and were just left in the slot. Then again, it was a slow Sunday.

Last edited:
Back