Remain within 10 nm?

flyboy595

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Flyboy595
Hey guys,
I'm getting ready for an instrument checkride in a week or so. One of the main things im confused on is the "remain within 10 nm" on approach plates. Everyone tells me different things about what i am remaining within 10 nm of. The one that makes the most sense to me is that you have to remain within 10 nm of the IAF that requires a procedure turn. I'll use this plate as reference IWA VOR 30C. So the remain within 10 NM would be from the VOR for the procedure turn because that is the IAF used when a procedure turn is required. Other people tell me it is the primary navaid for the approach, in this case, SNOWL INT. Other people tell me its of the runway, in this case 30C. Anyone have any guidance? I can't find any where specific that this is listed.

Last edited:
Hey guys,
I'm getting ready for an instrument checkride in a week or so. One of the main things im confused on is the "remain within 10 nm" on approach plates. Everyone tells me different things about what i am remaining within 10 nm of. The one that makes the most sense to me is that you have to remain within 10 nm of the IAF that requires a procedure turn. I'll use this plate as reference IWA VOR 30C. So the remain within 10 NM would be from the VOR for the procedure turn because that is the IAF used when a procedure turn is required. Other people tell me it is the primary navaid for the approach, in this case, the VOR. Other people tell me its of the runway, in this case 30C. Anyone have any guidance? I can't find any where specific that this is listed.

Looks to me that you remain within 10 of SNOWL, not IWA. Be tough to remain within 10nm of the VOR on the PT when the IAF is 6 and some change out already.

Hey guys,
I'm getting ready for an instrument checkride in a week or so. One of the main things im confused on is the "remain within 10 nm" on approach plates. Everyone tells me different things about what i am remaining within 10 nm of. The one that makes the most sense to me is that you have to remain within 10 nm of the IAF that requires a procedure turn. I'll use this plate as reference IWA VOR 30C. So the remain within 10 NM would be from the VOR for the procedure turn because that is the IAF used when a procedure turn is required. Other people tell me it is the primary navaid for the approach, in this case, the VOR. Other people tell me its of the runway, in this case 30C. Anyone have any guidance? I can't find any where specific that this is listed.

You are right...the others should be ashamed of themselves. AIM 5-4-9(a)(3). The ten miles begins at the fix.

Bob Gardner

Ah, one of the great unanswered questions that points out just how bad the FAA documentation can be. Best references are the AIM one that Bob posted, and the Instrument Procedures Handbook, chapter 5, page 5-38 and 5-40. But the language they use allows for wiggle room, even if there isn't any in the meaning. "The PT Fix" is what you need to remain within 10nm of.

I agree with EdFred, in the approach you posted, you need to remain within 10nm of SNOWL.

Alright. I changed the plate before I posted because the original one I was going to use wasn't a very good example. Didn't notice that the VOR wasn't an IAF in the new plate. so since SNOWL is the fix with the procedure turn, that's where I need to be within 10 nm of?

Alright. I changed the plate before I posted because the original one I was going to use wasn't a very good example. Didn't notice that the VOR wasn't an IAF in the new plate. so since SNOWL is the fix with the procedure turn, that's where I need to be within 10 nm of?
Yep. I agree with the above posts

It's 10NM within the FAF. I think.

And when the IAF is 10nm from the FAF, how do you remain within 10nm of the FAF on the PT that starts at the IAF?

10nm of SNOWL is correct, and the way you tell that is to look at the profile view to clearly see where the PT outbound leg begins. That will work whether the FAF and IAF are coincident or not.

10nm of SNOWL is correct, and the way you tell that is to look at the profile view to clearly see where the PT outbound leg begins. That will work whether the FAF and IAF are coincident or not.
I concur. For an in-depth perspective of how to do this you may want to refer to my "To the rear, March!" tutorial at www.AvClicks.com. The profile views are covered in the tutorials on the VOR and ILS approaches at Gulfport, Part II, Chapters 7 & 8 there too.

dtuuri

Just another reason to use Jeppesen charts:

2vjc1tg.jpg

I really like Jepp charts, but I can figure out what the chart means without spending an additional $500 a year.

Why is it that much more? I guess you fly to many different regions?

I really like Jepp charts, but I can figure out what the chart means without spending an additional $500 a year.

When the government split their California charts into two books, Jepp charts actually became cheaper for my neck of the woods. (I haven't checked lately though.)

Ah, I see. I prefer paper. The plane I rent has the plates loaded into the MFD, should I want electronic.

It is indeed -- about $700 per year compared to $75/150 for Foreflight.

And 2 Ipads (1 for back up) are competitive with new leather binders. I haven't quite figured out why Jepp is content with their market share and where it is headed.

Back