Reliable Data on Weight Loss and BP

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
Docs, is there any website where one can examine correlation between weight, or weight loss and BP? Thanks.

Docs, is there any website where one can examine correlation between weight, or weight loss and BP? Thanks.

Start losing the weight and watch the results! What more do you need?

Everyone is different, and the reasons for hypertension are divergent as well. I lost a bit of weight when my BP spiked, but I suspect it was mostly a pharmaceutical side effect. Still, I was worried about my BP and the first thing I did was set out to loose weight. Unless you're stick thin it won't hurt you.

Mama Steingar was on all kinds of meds, but then she lost tons and tons of weight and didn't need them anymore.

Can just give you my personal experience over the last year. Last June 17th I started a low carb diet. I have lost 85 pounds, my BP is treated with medication.

When I started I weighed 333.6 lbs and I was pushing 140/80 most of the time. When I had my class 3 medical in Feb. I was 268 pounds it was 140/80 when Dr. Bruce took it which was a little high when I had been taking it myself around that time I was pretty consistently 120/70. You might attribute it to white coat but I have had several visits with my Dr. during that time and it was in the area of 120/70 again not sure why it was higher with Dr. B could be the cuff or just the excitement of hanging with the legendary Dr. B. :D

In any case last week I had my annual firefighter physical and I was 250 lbs BP was 116/60 (this was a pleasant surprise as I hadn't taken it myself in awhile). Heart rate at the time(not really resting as I just walked in) was 80, after 25 jumping jacks 120, after 3 minute wait it was down to 86. Just checked it here at my desk true resting was 58. According to the lung volume machine I have the lungs of 9 year old (never smoked).

I would love to see the BP go down some more and get off these medications.

Last edited:
I had a very respectable endocrinologist tell me there is no real understanding of hypertension - people who have it can exercise 5 days a week and be on the low end of the weight scale, eat a no salt diet, and still have intractable hypertension -

There are certainly correlations concerning hypertension, weight diet and exercise - there are drugs to treat it, but is there a chart you can look to and say: Hey - if l lose XX lbs my BP goes down YY points? No.

I had a very respectable endocrinologist tell me there is no real understanding of hypertension - people who have it can exercise 5 days a week and be on the low end of the weight scale, eat a no salt diet, and still have intractable hypertension -

There are certainly correlations concerning hypertension, weight diet and exercise - there are drugs to treat it, but is there a chart you can look to and say: Hey - if l lose XX lbs my BP goes down YY points? No.

I think same goes for cholesterol. I did start using CPAP as well during that same time frame so that could be a contributing factor as well.

Last edited:
There are all kinds of research studies if you search for them online. You could go blind reading them.

They range from 1 mm of BP for every 2 pounds to no significant change to in the long-term high blood pressure returns even after weight loss.

Only conclusion I can draw is that each person has a different effect, and a lot depends on the cause.

Some stick thin people need medication to keep their BP down. Some morbidly obese people have normal BP. Little rhyme or reason beyond genetics. If lots of folks in your family have BP problems you might as well.

I don't think it is just about losing weight, I think it is a lot more about how you achieve that.

I was on BP medication (Benicar) for 15 years. At one time I was 145lbs and ran marathons but still had high BP (165/100).

I gave up that running lark and got up to 185lbs and still had high BP.

Then I switched to a Paleo lifestyle (marksdailyapple.com). Within a few months I was down to 155lbs (higher than I was before) but my BP was down to 110/60 and I was taken off the medication. Now is is stable right around 120/75, I just hope it stays that way.

So, for me it wasn't just about losing weight but about what diet lifestyle achieved it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back