Regulations for a privately owned public use airport?

Vance Breese

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Vance Breese
Can a privately owned, shown on the sectional chart as open to the public airport restrict airport access to a particular N numbered aircraft?

Where would I find the regulations about such things?

Thank you for your help.

Go to your state's Department of Transportation or Aeronautical division and discuss with them.

Each state has statutes and laws governing airport use and classification.

Your question must be the beginning of a long story. More detail would be interesting.

Id think if it was privately owned, the owner could do as he wishes to a logical extent, including limiting his visitors.

Whether or not the owner legally can, he/she absolutely should be able to, and anyone who isn't welcome on his/her airport should respect that.

Id think if it was privately owned, the owner could do as he wishes to a logical extent, including limiting his visitors.
It's not that easy. R&W has it exactly right. Not just airport-related laws but there may be laws that may apply (lots of intentional "may"s in there) depending on the application a a state's public accommodations laws.

Plenty of privately owned airports receive public funds and grants, which would be a bit different too.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Can a privately owned, shown on the sectional chart as open to the public airport restrict airport access to a particular N numbered aircraft?

Where would I find the regulations about such things?

Thank you for your help.
It usually isn't done by n number. usually the owner gets a registered letter saying stop all operations at (___) followed by civil action if not complied with.

The state or federal doesn't want to get involved private pizzing contests.

Your question must be the beginning of a long story. More detail would be interesting.

Sorry, there is no interesting story that goes with the question.

Put another way; is there an obligation that goes with being listed on the chart as open to the public?

It usually isn't done by n number. usually the owner gets a registered letter saying stop all operations at (___) followed by civil action if not complied with.

The state or federal doesn't want to get involved private pizzing contests.

I mentioned N numbered because I know that ultralight aircraft can be banned from a public use airport.

There is no civil action involved in the question.

Others will clarify, but I think if operations are PPR you would essentially limit operations for non-emergency operations.

But why be public use if you're interested in keeping private?

Put another way; is there an obligation that goes with being listed on the chart as open to the public?

And would this banned N number belong to a gyroplane?

At this time no one is banned. It is not my airport or my decision.
The question arose about the operation of the airport and the discretion of the owner during an event when there is no published TFR or NOTAM.
Some felt the owner could ground or ban the operation an aircraft during that event if they felt the aircraft or its operation didn’t meet their standards.
I wondered if the owner could enforce his will.

At this time no one is banned. It is not my airport or my decision.
The question arose about the operation of the airport and the discretion of the owner during an event when there is no published TFR or NOTAM.
Some felt the owner could ground or ban the operation an aircraft during that event if they felt the aircraft or its operation didn’t meet their standards.
I wondered if the owner could enforce his will.

Privately owned airports can be restricted, and controlled by "Invitation only" I know one that is by a use permit only. and they pay a fee for usage.

I wondered why a specific N number would be targeted. Hypothetical?

The answer is still "it depends." FAA-related extra obligations can depend on whether the airport receives grants or accepts certain types of operations. Even if there are no FAA-based obligations, there may be various obligations and restrictions under other federal or state law. bear in mind that "private property" doesn't mean it is free from regulation. Restaurants, hotels, move theaters, shopping centers... are all private property that is open to the general public. And, in most states, most of those can ban certain people, so long as it is not discrimination against a protected class. Aside from that, there are, of course zoning and other land use restrictions.

Bottom line is, you are not asking an easily-answerable question.

Last edited:
Privately owned airports can be restricted, and controlled by "Invitation only" I know one that is by a use permit only. and they pay a fee for usage.
There's a difference between a private airport that is kept for private use (even if they allow anyone to land there) and a private airport open for public use.

5B6 (Falmouth Airpark in Massachusetts) is a privately owned airport open for public use.

OTOH

5NC3 (Gilliam - Mc Connell Airfield) is a privately owned airport maintained for private use that generally allows pilots fly in without obtaining special permission. And many do to enjoy the great BBQ at the restaurant, or use the services of the local aviation businesses based there.

There's a difference between a private airport that is kept for private use (even if they allow anyone to land there) and a private airport open for public use.

And that is noted on the sectionals, ® ℗ Etc

when the airport is Privately owned but open to the public such as OKH, I know of no regulation that allows the owner to select who they allow to operate there. but the owner can get the civil officials to get involved to prohibit those who are not welcome.

Back