Regulations concerning Pilot performed preventative maintenance

On that topic, one more question. I took off the cowling today to look around and see where a minor oil leak was coming from. To my surprise I found out of 4 valve covers, two of them had the lower screw backed out enough that I took my finger and gave it a 1/4 turn to tighten. This is also where my slow drip was coming from. What should I do to keep the screws from backing out?
Find a new technology engine.:D

Seriously, those screws loosen over time, and the only things you can do to prevent it are things you really wouldn't want to do. Just check them every month or so (or maybe at every oil change along with cleaning and rotating your spark plugs) and all will be well.

BTW, several engine folks have told me not to use Loc-tite. Tom disagrees. Choose carefully.

Last edited:
Sweet, guess I will use my skills and change out those valve cover gaskets also! I see no reason why I can't do that either. I guess I am most surprised by what I am allowed to do since all I have ever been told is I can't work on my own plane at all.

The FAA data base is very convoluted as to who is really out there working and who is dead, out of country etc. that the FAA has no idea who is actually maintaining the GA fleet.

Shh. They're busy re-registering the whole fleet. That'll add more to safety than getting electronic maintenance logs going.

They need the registrations correct so they can sell the database to that joint operations group in New Mexico, sift through the live IFR flights in the system, and take Martha King down at gunpoint again via a phone call to a local Sheriff.

That's the real important stuff. Not maintenance records. Cessna drivers are potential terrorists you know.

Sheesh man. Hush!

(Yeah that's sarcasm, for the sarcasm-challenged.) ;)

For completeness, most of those limitations do not apply to experimental category aircraft...

Actually, any person can perform any preventive maintenance, maintenance, overhaul, replacement, modification of any degree or any kind without supervision. If you did not build the plane you must have a licensed A&P perform the annual condition inspection. No AI required.

Weather or not you should do the work is another mmatter all togeather. ;)

With the new LSA category you must attend a 16 hour class and hold a repairman's certificate to perform the condition inspection on aicraft you own.

Ya know, we go through cycles of these circular arguments over whose interpretation of the FAR is more strict and therefore is the only way to think (religion by another name)...
The upshot of these exercises in true believer dogma is that no one changes their mind - at least no one of sound mind...

I own an airplane... I have a toolbox... It is logical to assume that I perform basic maintenance on my airplane... Do I drop onto my knees on front of a copy of the AIM and genuflect three times towards OK City before performing said maintenance?
Well, I will take the 5th on that, but suffice it to say that a determined reading of the holy scriptures (airplane logs) will reveal little...

For the anal retentive among us, read no further...

My position is the same as the trial bar's position, that if it is not in writing, it did not happen...
If I find it necessary to pull a door hinge bolt that is showing signs of rust, and I treat it with Phosphoric Acid followed by a light coat of rust inhibiting primer and an overcoat of 1964 Ford Mist Green Krylon and then replace said bolt, torquing the nut by experienced finger pull and with a shiny, new stainless cotter pin as the crowning touch, do I feel an overwhelming compulsion to scribble in the pristine aircraft logbook?

Hell no....

denny-o

NC19143 Wrote
If a person with an A&P certificate that is working in a facility that does maintenance checks on heavy aircraft and never works on a small aircraft, should be sorted out and limited as to what they can do.

I'd say that ANYONE working in any aircraft maintenence capacity is limited to knowing what one person can possibly know, and by what they have been asked to do before. The range and scope of technologies it's reasonable to expect to encounter in aviation will always be beyond what one person can know for small or large aircraft.

The most dangerous people will be those that have some credible level of skill and knowledge, but somehow unaccountably one day become the world book of knowledge, all knowing in all things.

In my opinion, everyone needs to be as objective and realistic as possible when evaluating their proficency at any specific task.

As unspecific as that is, that's really the only thing that makes sense.

This thread is a good review though.

I could interpret my own qualifications and claim competency as an A&P for a lot of work (at different levels), despite the fact I don't do any wrench turning now. Over 20-30 years, I've done my fair share of work in 5-6 very different aviation environments, as an A&P and engineer. On most days now, I develop avionics rework DWGs, write the modification procedures and ultimately the test procedures that go in the AMM for TCAS & Mode S Transponder systems on big jets. There are some jobs I might consider tackling in GA and some I wouldn't touch.

Can A&Ps knowledgeable on 20 yr old airplanes handle diesel engine work, composite structural work, light turbine work? I've watched A&Ps that couldn't fathom the landing gear indication light circuit on a simple turboprop twin. How may A&Ps would should light a torch and attempt a weld repair?

At one point I was the lead man for the overnight maintenence crew on a fleet of 10 Jetstreean 32s. I was working for a part 145 repair station. They had the maint contract for a local airline feeder. We handled the line and the heavy checks.

Some of the guys on the crew had been turning wrenches since the days of the Connie (they refused the lead position because they didn't want the hastle). Others were just out of school (in one case waiting for their first hearing).

The only guy that never asked for help/opinions, maybe from QA, maybe from the the BAE rep, research help, teammate help, even lead help, was the guy waiting on his hearing (for leaving a cotter key off after a tire change in his previous job - no one was killed when it came off).

I couldn't get him to even look in the AMM for something simple like installing a wiper blade! They line up better when you park the system. Everyone in the operation warned me about that lad.

As a side note, the boss hired him because he had the factory training, and still had his A&P, stipulations in the contract.

Last edited:
Seriously, those screws loosen over time, and the only things you can do to prevent it are things you really wouldn't want to do.

BTW, several engine folks have told me not to use Loc-tite. Tom disagrees. Choose carefully.

Most A&P's will use it wet and lock the screw in place and ruin the threads in the cylinder when the screw is removed, but allowing it to dry on the screw does not seize the screw into the threads, it only add friction and prevents the screw backing out.

One must also check the cover to see if it has been bent by over tightening, and straightening it if required.

Actually, any person can perform any preventive maintenance, maintenance, overhaul, replacement, modification of any degree or any kind without supervision. If you did not build the plane you must have a licensed A&P perform the annual condition inspection. No AI required.
Let us clarify that this applies to EXP aircraft. not production built

Weather or not you should do the work is another mmatter all togeather. ;)

With the new LSA category you must attend a 16 hour class and hold a repairman's certificate to perform the condition inspection on aicraft you own.

That is a minimum requirement for those who do not hold a A&P certificate. I am allowed to inspect and repair LSA aircraft under my A&P certificate. FAR 65 has no restriction as to LSA aircraft.

In fact it says"
FAR 65.85
(b) A certificated mechanic with an airframe rating can approve and return to service an airframe, or any related part or appliance, of an aircraft with a special airworthiness certificate in the light-sport category after performing and inspecting a major repair or major alteration for products that are not produced under an FAA approval provided the work was performed in accordance with instructions developed by the manufacturer or a person acceptable to the FAA.
end quote

IOWs the LSA is the only type certificate that any A&P can approve and return to service a major modification documented on a 337.

Last edited:

I both agree and disagree with Tom. I use a SMALL!!! drop of BLUE Loctite on the BOTTOM screw threads and assemble with the LOCTITE STILL WET.

Blue Loctite is like softset gasket compound ... it holds until there is a serious attempt to remove the part.

If the blue stuff makes the screw difficult to remove, heat the screw with a small torch or large soldering iron and it will soften the loctite to the point where it lets go of the threads.

Use a thread chaser on female threads after taking the screw out.

Jim

I both agree and disagree with Tom. I use a SMALL!!! drop of BLUE Loctite on the BOTTOM screw threads and assemble with the LOCTITE STILL WET.

Blue Loctite is like softset gasket compound ... it holds until there is a serious attempt to remove the part.

If the blue stuff makes the screw difficult to remove, heat the screw with a small torch or large soldering iron and it will soften the loctite to the point where it lets go of the threads.

Use a thread chaser on female threads after taking the screw out.

Jim

Try it my way, you'll not need the thread chaser and the screw can be reused several times with out reapplication of the Loc-tite.

Back