Regarding the Babes Forum Access Change

Greebo

N9017H - C172M (1976)
Display Name

Display name:
Retired Evil Overlord
I've gotten a couple of PM's about this, and I felt it wise to post publicly to clear his up.

The Babes forum here on PoA is a temporary home away from home for the Babes users while their site undergoes an overhaul. Because we're subbing for them, strictly speaking, as long as the posts in that forum do not violate the rules of conduct, it is HER forum to do with as she chooses.

Moxie wants to restrict who may and may not post in her forum - thats the only reason for the tighter security. Unfortunately, because the server changes which hit Babes came along rather hastily, our set up of the conference was also hasty, and so we're still dealing with some of the after-effects, if you will.

I do apologize to anyone who's been confused or inconvenienced by this in any way.

Chuck

Chuck,

Can you please create a new forum entitled

"God's Gifts to Aviation"

Thanks. I'll let you know who else can join in addition to myself, Yeager, Wagstaff, Sheppard, Armstrong, Cooper and Joe Williams.

;<)

Len

Lenny,

If "God's Gifts to Aviation" is an already established site, which is undergoing a server upgrade and in need of a temporary home away from home, we'll be happy to help out as best we can. :yes:

However, I did a google search, and under "Gods Gifts to Aviation" I was only able to find references to myself, so I think you might want to get your site established first. :D :D

How hard would it be, if even possible, to limit the Recent Activity results to not include those posts for those who are not subscribers to their forum? It feels sort of like being on a party-line (for those old enough to remember party lines and rotary dial phones) but required to remain quiet...kinda creepy, in a weird voyeur sort of way...

Last edited:
Recent Activity is based on all forums you can read, and changing that behavior would require changing code I don't like to touch.

To change the display of Babes messages in recent activity would require Moxie to close Babes completely to non-members. That's her decision.

However, you CAN use 'New Posts' - and configure it yourself to not include specific forums in its results. The difference between New Posts and Recent Activity is New Posts returns a list of threads with activity since a time you specify, vs. the arbitrary time set by Recent Activity.

Greebo said:
However, you CAN use 'New Posts' - and configure it yourself to not include specific forums in its results.

Chuck, can you point me in the right direction to do this? I looked under "Edit Options," but don't see it there.

Thanks!

It *is* a little tricky, and I have been meaning to improve this aspect of it.

Ok - to remove a forum from the "New Posts" search:
Hit New Posts
Pick any thread in the forum you don't care about and view it
Directly at the bottom of the thread is a new View New link.
That link will take you to New Posts for that forum only.
Click "Turn Quickscan OFF Quickscan in this forum"

Readding forums is a little trickier - so dont remove a forum you aren't sure you dont want listed. ;)

The Babes and Airplanes main forum went back online last night, and so we bid their temporary home from home adieu. (Strictly speaking the forum still exists, but its now hidden completely from non-babes.) :)

But we invite everyone from Babes and Airplanes who came here as a result of the downtime to continue to visit - the more the merrier! :)

Greebo said:
The Babes and Airplanes main forum went back online last night, and so we bid their temporary home from home adieu. (Strictly speaking the forum still exists, but its now hidden completely from non-babes.) :)

But we invite everyone from Babes and Airplanes who came here as a result of the downtime to continue to visit - the more the merrier! :)

I think I'll stay awhile. So far, I like what I see, although I'm guessing I won't be as much of a regular as I am at the Babes site. Thanks again for hosting us while the board went through its transition. It's very appreciated. :cheerio:

Carolyn

Razor said:
I think I'll stay awhile. So far, I like what I see, although I'm guessing I won't be as much of a regular as I am at the Babes site. Thanks again for hosting us while the board went through its transition. It's very appreciated. :cheerio:

Carolyn

Have you signed that goofball with the Warrior off for his instrument checkride yet? :p

Welcome. It's good to see you :)

Y'all, this girl is one fine pilot and a hell of a lot of fun to travel with.

"Have you signed that goofball with the Warrior off for his instrument checkride yet?"

Yeah, please do, he's getting whiney.

DeeG said:
"Have you signed that goofball with the Warrior off for his instrument checkride yet?"

Yeah, please do, he's getting whiney.

Getting? He's been whiney since I met him!

Missa

Back