Refurbishing the airplane

AuntPeggy

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Namaste
OK, so the time has come to re-do the interior and paint on our trusty aircraft (1974 Cessna 172). We're trying to come up with some ideas that will be as inexpensive as practical. Possibly $10,000 or less. Want to get it done by April. We don't intend to ever sell it. Let our heirs do that. Any comments?

The "before" picture is attached below. At this distance, it looks perfect.

Here's what we have in mind so far.

Interior:
Airtex seats with Cobalt blue pebble grain fabric and Smoke grey trim.
http://www.airtexinteriors.com/downloads/samples.pdf

Replace all panels and trim with Selkirk grey fiberglass.
http://selkirk-aviation.com/refurbishes.html

Leave the black carpet in place.

Replace shoulder harness and lap belts with AmSafe Seatbelt Airbag.

Exterior: I like the sleek, clean look of this paint job, but think that the all-white cowl presents a problem with glare. Hubby thinks it looks a little dated.
And after, which is how most PoA folk have seen her:

attachment.php

BTW, this was done via an all-white paint job, and then the N number and striping was done by Air Graphics - They're decals, so you can change the scheme easily. That way, if you're selling the airplane, the buyer knows they can change the look cheaply if they don't like it. :)

Attachments

• RomeoBefore.JPG
    RomeoBefore.JPG
    3.8 KB · Views: 30
I've thought about refurbing the interior of my 140, but never pulled the trigger on it. But it won't fly any better. I might do it later.

wrt painting, I wouldn't cheap out on a paint job for the airplane. A previous owner of my 140 had the plane "painted" but up close it's clear it was a crappy paint job. Overspray, etc. One area of overspray only took me 10 minutes to take out with polishing compound. How lazy was that paint shop?

wrt all-white cowl, every plane I've flown have all white cowls, no big deal.

Good luck

My ride is all white with no trim. No problem with the glare that I've noticed. But it was a cheap paint job to cover up the original paint. Looks pretty bad up close.

Exterior: I like the sleek, clean look of this paint job, but think that the all-white cowl presents a problem with glare. Hubby thinks it looks a little dated.

Mine has an all white cowl, which I have never noticed producing a big amount of glare. I agree with Hubby on the dated look. I don't know what I would change, but there is too much white.

What do you think about the seatbelt airbag? Is it worth getting?

I should have shown you our pumpkin when you were at HUT. I installed the airbag belts in my 172 this last summer. The kit replaces the adjustable shoulder harnesses with inertia reel belts. They are comfortable to use. Colors are limited, they wouldn't make them in my 1977 burnt orange/ brown color (I chose black) I can't remember what they cost and I did make some allowable changes on the location of the inflaters and controller. They do offer rear seat airbags too.

An old friend and Malibu owner came out of his coma 1.5 years after his accident. He hit his head and was out cold in his seat, a mechanic pulled him out of his burning plane. (I'm a believer)

I would check out some of the paint shops at Mena AR if your in Okla. at the time you do your project.

Kevin

new plastic and an all metal panel.:wink2:

new plastic and an all metal panel.:wink2:
Yeah. I want an all metal instrument panel, but Hubby has nixed that idea. Give me some good talking points. My only reason is that I like the look.

By all panels, I meant the front quarter panels, door panels, and back panels, rear cargo, etc.

We'll replace the plastic with fiberglass instead of new plastic because the color goes all the way through, it is lighter, and more sturdy. Cost is about the same.

Last edited:
I would get the seatbelt airbag. It might just save your life someday, or hubby's. Cheap insurance.

Mine has an all white cowl, which I have never noticed producing a big amount of glare. I agree with Hubby on the dated look. I don't know what I would change, but there is too much white.

Hey! Dated? We just had it done 6 years ago! :eek:

Besides, even a brand-new Cessna looks similar, and has a TON of white:

attachment.php

Attachments

• sin_haw_flt08_2010_view.jpg
    sin_haw_flt08_2010_view.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 77
Hey! Dated? We just had it done 6 years ago! :eek:

Besides, even a brand-new Cessna looks similar, and has a TON of white:

A brand new Cessna looks dated, too. :)

Peggy, you two should get the paint scheme and interior that you like the best. What anyone else things is irrelevant.

A brand new Cessna looks dated, too. :)

Peggy, you two should get the paint scheme and interior that you like the best. What anyone else things is irrelevant.
Thanks. We are certainly strong-willed enough to do what we like best. I'm just mining the collective mind for additional ideas to consider.

Thanks. We are certainly strong-willed enough to do what we like best. I'm just mining the collective mind for additional ideas to consider.

Understood. In the interest of resale value, I'd consider a "modern" paint scheme that will help the plane look newer. Interiors are pretty easy to have done nicely, especially since 172s are still being made today. A new 172 interior is really quite comfortable.

The Aztec's interior was redone about 8 or 10 years ago with tan leather for the seats and I believe leather or vinyl on the ceiling, plus carpet. The 310's interior was redone about the same time ago with gray vinyl and used suede on the ceiling. Both look great. I think the gray is better personally, as it hides stains better. Although I wouldn't go for a dark gray, that gets pretty hot in the summer.

Back