Reflections on this side of the IFR ticket

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
They always said that the IR would make me a more precise pilot. I believe it has. I think, though, that I am a better pilot not solely because of what the rating taught me, but also simply because I have more training time now than I would have if I had stopped after the Private.

I can see how the IR could give pilots new ways to get themselves in trouble. On the one hand, I know I can fly an NDB approach down to minimums, under partial panel. This does indeed give me confidence. There is a difference, though, between what I am able to fly and what I am willing to fly. For safety, I would prefer to have at least 1,000' AGL and 2 miles, a good autopilot, and a nice ILS waiting for me at both my destination and alternate. Margins--I like margins.

Thus, proficiency will be an issue for me as it is for many pilots. I can't, after all, practice PP NPAs when alone, and I wonder if I will be able to get in all of the requirements for currency within a six-month period. My solution will be to fly a few flights with my CFII once every six months--not to get currency, but to remain proficient. Before you complain that I'm selling myself short, let me just say that 1) I LOVE the challenges of IFR training, and he really knows how to fill up the plate, and 2) I enjoy flying with my CFII, and he's a friend. So, why not?

I need to learn more about weather. I've got about 20 of actual, but I really want to know more about how benign weather turns bad, and how to read the signs. Sure, I'd also love to be able to rent aircraft with NEXRAD, RADAR, and a Stormscope, but that's not usually possible.

IFR in an NA Skyhawk is different from IFR in a KI, turbo Seneca. The Seneca would let me make the decision for "go" more frequently, but it would also take a lot more to stay proficient. I guess I could stay proficient in VFR and IFR in a simple single with about 60 hours per year, including maybe seven or eight hours of air training. In a twin, I don't see how I could achieve the same level of proficiency without at least 100 hours per year.

I never want to forget how hard it was to get this rating. Why? Too often I see a Dad loading up the wife, kids, and dog into his plane to go on vacation. The guy is flying away after several months of inactivity, and he's not current (much less proficient) in IFR and even in basic aircraft control. I've seen this many times in the short four years I have been flying. The family doesn't know anything. ("Daddy is a pilot, and he'll keep us safe.") They don't know what it takes to be proficient, and how easy it is to screw up. I'm not saying I'll never let my currency slide; rather, I am going to require of myself that I won't fly if I'm out of currency and proficiency, and that I will do what I need to do to get back any skills before I takeoff alone or with family.

Ramble, ramble, ramble. . . .

Ben,

Plan to do IPCs every 6 months, regardless of how much IFR you fly in the interim. File and fly IFR on "easy" IFR days.

Keep an eye on the weather, and go out and fly some approaches for practice on days where the ceiling is above your personal minimums, but the FAF is in the clouds. Just do it for practice.

I like to go when we get a fairly stable marine flow down here - the ceilings will stay at 1000 - 1200' with 2-3 miles of vis, which is enough to ensure that I can ge back into the home base, but low enough that I can go shoot approaches at my home port and the two nearby airports with an ILS. The FAF is in the clouds.

The IPC's will ensure that you're legal and that you get reinforcement of good habits; the actual approaches will give you some experience on the practical aspects.

I've learned a couple of really good lessons doing that - including a lesson on just how fast ground fog can form down here.

Ben as a low time IR pilot (165hrs) I must say that I don't think your post is a ramble. You have posted what I have thought to myself too many times to count. Frankly ,it is an excellent post. My thoughts mirror yours exactly!! Even though your just got your IR you have more over all hours than me. In addition you have more actual hours.

How your stay current and proficient is dependant upon your drive and resources. I suspect most of us have the drive, its the resources that limit us the most. I have also considered getting rated in a twin. Right now I think it would be a waste of time and money only because I wouldn't have the funds to say proficient. I have chosen to fly equipment that I know I will actually be able to afford to say proficient in. This does not preclude moving up at some point but only when I can afford to stay proficient.

I am fortunate that I have some friends that are CFIIs or more experienced PPs than I. I make it a point to fly with them as much as possible to maintain my proficiency. Flying with Arnold of this board has been a great help.

Your concerns about not being like the dad who loads his family in the plane after not having flown for several months are exactly what will prevent you from doing so. I have the same concerns. If I have not flown for a while I will not take my family for even a short hop in CAVU with out first going up on my own and with some more experience friends to make sure there are no hints of rust. Ben your concerns are exactly what will help to make you a better and better pilot.

wangmyers said:
They always said that the IR would make me a more precise pilot. I believe it has. I think, though, that I am a better pilot not solely because of what the rating taught me, but also simply because I have more training time now than I would have if I had stopped after the Private.
A perfect statement to support the importance of continuing education.

I can see how the IR could give pilots new ways to get themselves in trouble.
Only if they're fool hardy enough to follow that path to self destruction.

On the one hand, I know I can fly an NDB approach down to minimums, under partial panel.
That is an example of the path to self destruction.

This does indeed give me confidence.
YES!!! You can do it, you've demonstrated that, keep it up. But what about confidence to explore the boundaries of your new operational envelope?

There is a difference, though, between what I am able to fly and what I am willing to fly. For safety, I would prefer to have at least 1,000' AGL and 2 miles, a good autopilot, and a nice ILS waiting for me at both my destination and alternate. Margins--I like margins.
Good, good, good. You have chosen wisely. The force is strong in this one.

Thus, proficiency will be an issue for me as it is for many pilots.
I cannot begin to describe how much wisdom is contained in that sentence.

I can't, after all, practice PP NPAs when alone, and I wonder if I will be able to get in all of the requirements for currency within a six-month period. My solution will be to fly a few flights with my CFII once every six months--not to get currency, but to remain proficient. Before you complain that I'm selling myself short, let me just say that 1) I LOVE the challenges of IFR training, and he really knows how to fill up the plate, and 2) I enjoy flying with my CFII, and he's a friend. So, why not?
Most CFIs would jump at the chance to ride along for some airwork in actual. To express your gratitude, let them shoot a couple app--you both come out winners. I applaud your attention to developing a currency program. My only complaint would be why wait for six month intervals? My first year after the IR was as often as the coincidence of my discretionary budget and the occurence of lo stratus permitted, basically primed for every chance. Lo stratus is an opportunity for benign actual IMC.

I need to learn more about weather. I've got about 20 of actual, but I really want to know more about how benign weather turns bad, and how to read the signs. Sure, I'd also love to be able to rent aircraft with NEXRAD, RADAR, and a Stormscope, but that's not usually possible.
No one knows enough about the wx. To rest on one's laurals with what one does know can almost be considered negligent. PP--beyond being required by the PTS--demonstrated that you can adequately aviate and navigate without the full panel. May I submit that NEXRAD and other e-gadgets will only diniminsh your proficiency in the basics.

IFR in an NA Skyhawk is different from IFR in a KI, turbo Seneca. The Seneca would let me make the decision for "go" more frequently, but it would also take a lot more to stay proficient. I guess I could stay proficient in VFR and IFR in a simple single with about 60 hours per year, including maybe seven or eight hours of air training. In a twin, I don't see how I could achieve the same level of proficiency without at least 100 hours per year.
What are you saying?

I never want to forget how hard it was to get this rating. Why? Too often I see a Dad loading up the wife, kids, and dog into his plane to go on vacation.
Every pilot with a IR earned it. Otherwise, what do you mean about the Dad and family?

The guy is flying away after several months of inactivity, and he's not current (much less proficient) in IFR and even in basic aircraft control. I've seen this many times in the short four years I have been flying. The family doesn't know anything. ("Daddy is a pilot, and he'll keep us safe.") They don't know what it takes to be proficient, and how easy it is to screw up. I'm not saying I'll never let my currency slide; rather, I am going to require of myself that I won't fly if I'm out of currency and proficiency, and that I will do what I need to do to get back any skills before I takeoff alone or with family.

Ramble, ramble, ramble. . . .

It is difficult to say just how proficient another pilot is or is not. However, just like the NTSB reports which serve as opportunities to learn, let that other guy be a cautionary tale to you which highlights the importance of maintaining one's proficiency. Maintaining proficiency (think of it as preventative maintenance on the rating you recently earned) is more than going up; maintaining proficiency is also about the mental game. DECIDE.

I'm thrilled you posted this. It reminds me of when I got the IR--I was on top of the world. It is indeed a hard rating to acquire (no one 'gets' the IR, one acquires it) More than that is it allows me, speaking only for myself, the occassion to remind me of the importance of recurrent training.

Ben, you keep on posting...

"FAF in the clouds", I never thought of it that way but I like it. That is what I mean about lo stratus; minimal untoward developments in the wx but enough IMC to provide learning opportunities. I agree 100% with Adam; an excellant post by Ben.

If I don't fly something every other week, I consider myself rusty. If I don't fly approaches once per month, ditto. That means my personal minimums for myself include at least one round of pattern practice per month (in the Champ right now because it is much more challenging than the skyhawk) and one round of approaches or flight in actual. If budget permits, more please!

Find a partner for safety pilot time. You will both learn. My wife is a PP so that helps considerably, she can safety pilot for me and vice versa. It will give you a less expensive way to keep current.

And continue training. See a CFI every few months. You don't have to call it an IPC, just continued training. Do partial panel, or something equally hard. Go up on a "down to mins" day with a CFI on board and really get a taste of the inside of clouds.

I highly recommend traveling with a weather text book as well. I am fortunate in that my work frequently affords me down time between hearings and such, where I can bone up on weather theory. It will keep it fresh for you. As you experience it more, it will also mean more.

And use the ticket. That's what you got it for.

My two cents as yet another fairly low time IR.

Jim G

wangmyers said:
On the one hand, I know I can fly an NDB approach down to minimums, under partial panel.

I've heard from many frequent IFR pilots the following 2 statements. Both of which I feel are good things to keep in mind.

1.) "Any partial panel event is a full emergency and should be dealt with as such." (Like assistance to an airport reporting VFR- unless there are no other options.)

2.) "I'm never that far from an airport that doesn't have an ILS" I'd have to agree that if the airport didn't have a GPS or ILS approach, why fly to that airport in ugly weather? :)

Ben, just like your PPL the IR simply opens some doors that have been closed to you before. When and how you access those doors is up to you and will no doubt evolve over time. I do believe strongly that it's worth making the effort now to maintain and improve your proficiency, at least for the next few years when (IME) the temptation to let it slide is strongest. Through your training efforts you have gained admission to the college of IMC but as you are well aware, further effort is necessary to take advantage of that accomplishment.

For now I suggest that you plan and execute several trips per year that are likely to involve instrument flying and back that up with periodic practice approaches. Given the stage you are at, the chances of your maintaning proficiency are slim since you aren't likely to depart unless conditions are fairly benign so deliberate practice will probably be the only time when you face any challenging approaches. That said, you can learn a great deal about operating in the system and weather even if you stick to MVFR on departure and MVFR forecasts at the destination so try to take every opportunity to fly trips under IFR that you can.

Your post reminded me that I intended to ask a question here that I saw recently regarding safety statistics vs instrument rated pilots. Look for such a thread starting in your neighborhood soon.

Thanks, Lance. Well, I will indeed by flying a medium trip next monday: FDK-DDH and back. I should get about 6 or 7 hours.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Thanks, everybody, for your thoughts! It is funny--I had always thought that when I got to 375 hours (need to add them up) with an IR, that I'd feel like flying was easy. It is good not to take anything for granted.

Back