Red Eagle Avionics is now online!

Red Eagle Avionics

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
RedEagleGM
Hey there, fellow aviators!

My name is Jason Barron, and I'm the General Manager for a rapidly growing, leading-edge avionics shop in New Castle, Delaware named Red Eagle Avionics. I'd like to say hello, have that cup of virtual coffee with you, and offer my services as an avionics professional to answer any and all of your questions to the best of my ability. If there's a question that I don't have the answer to, I'll try my hardest to find it! We at Red Eagle felt it was a good idea to reach out to the online aviation community through the use of message boards and e-mail. So, here we are ... it's just up to you to take advantage of this valuable service! Where else can you get avionics advice like this on the Internet?

Here's a little bit of information about Red Eagle Avionics (our "bio" so to speak):

Welcome to Red Eagle Avionics, located in New Castle, DE, at the New Castle County Airport (a.k.a. Wilmington, KILG.) There is no job too big or small for our experienced staff of installers! If you are new to east coast aviation, or if you've been around the skyways a few times over, the name Red Eagle probably rings a bell. We are a very personable avionics shop to be acquainted with. We are always on a first-name basis with our customers. We take you in as part of our family, and treat you and your aircraft with courtesy and respect each time you visit. Most importantly, we are ALWAYS up-front with you whenever we evaluate your aircraft's avionics needs. No beating around the bush and hiding information to get you back in for more maintenance later down the road (this is old-school mentality that some of the old-school avionics shops still practice ... be careful of who you choose!) With Red Eagle, you get a complete diagnosis ... first time, every time.

When considering an Avionics Shop, take a look at the whole package! We offer a LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY on our workmanship for every installation or repair we perform. Also keep in mind that you pay 0% sales tax in the state of Delaware! We are a Garmin, Avidyne, L3 Comm, and S-TEC dealer, just to name a few. Our installers have over 70 years' of combined experience. Our avionics capabilities range from single-engine general aviation aircraft to business jets and beyond. We are now certified and equipped to perform 12-month and 24-month RVSM certifications for any type of business jet! With some of the lowest labor rates and VFR/IFR (91.411, 91.413) certification costs around, it's no wonder why Red Eagle Avionics is the ONLY choice to keep your aircraft's operational and maintenance costs affordable! Need other maintenance performed while you're having an installation performed at Red Eagle? No problem! We have the available maintainers to knock out that annual or 100-hour inspection, truly making Red Eagle a 1-stop shop for all of your aviation needs! Check out our new "Pilot Pit Stop" in the front lobby while you're waiting, and get that pitot cover, fuel tester, or log book you've been meaning to pick up.

Feel free to give us a call or shoot me an e-mail with any question you might have about Red Eagle. Our website is www.redeagleav.com, and it's a work in progress. Also, check out our sister company's website, www.aeroenterprises.net. I manage both websites, but am still in the process of adding supplier information and product lines to the Red Eagle site. Please be patient. I'll let you know when the redeagleav.com website pricing goes into effect. With that said, any pricing you see currently listed on our website is NOT valid, and has only been put in place to test certain pricing techniques available on the website itself. Any pricing you see on the Aero Enterprises website for in the Aircraft For Sale section is good to go (but not like Taco Bell).

I'll be checking Pilots Of America daily (at least M-F, possibly weekends) to reply to any posts that are directed to Red Eagle. I have duplicated this post in three different forum categories to get the most coverage. Now that everyone is aware that Red Eagle is available online, you can begin asking your questions by listing them in the "Maintenance Bay" forum category, where maintenance-related posts truly belong!

Once again, my name is Jason, and I look forward to developing a great online aviation relationship with all of you!

Welcome to the board. You'll find quite a few of some of the best aviation has to offer right here. Good people. Hope you get involved more than just answering our avionics questions, itd be great to get to know you!

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm a chatter by nature, so getting involved in things other than avionics is just as exciting as my first GNS 430 installation! I just need to be able to balance this website and work! Or, wait a minute, if I can convince the owner that posting on this website IS work, I'll be in good shape!

Best Regards and Happy Flying!

sounds good, most of us post from work anyway ;)
Are you a pilot as well? A&P I assume?

Actually, I'm neither a pilot, nor an A&P. Please don't let that skew my credibility by any means. Here's a quick rundown of my history:

All of my background is Air Force. I joined in 1995 as an Avionics Technician on the C-17 Globemaster III, stationed in Charleston, S.C. Met my wife in Charleston, also a C-17 Avionics Tech. Transferred to McChord AFB in Tacoma, WA in 1999, when I was offered a position as a C-17 Avionics Instructor. Taught digital, fly-by-wire Avionic Systems for four years at McChord, and finished my Bachelor's degree in Workforce Education Development. Left active duty in July of 2002 for a total of 7 years, 2 months AD. Moved to Minnesota, where my wife's from originally (I'm from Ohio), and joined the Minnesota Air National Guard. One weekend a month, two weeks a year, right? Wrong! 6 months after joining, I was activated from March '03 to March '04, and spent a combined 8 months in that 1 year in the middle east. Watched the first bombs drop on Baghdad from an outdoor recreation center, on a big screen with poor satellite reception, in the middle of Oman, wondering "What in the world am I doing here?" My wife was also activated that same time period, and we ended up seeing each other for a little less than two months out of that entire year because she was deploying as well. Kind of hard on the 4 year old we have.

On with my background: Got a job with ITT Technical Institute in Minnesota, teaching A/C and D/C Electronics. Enjoyable, but way too much grading involved at home. Stayed at ITT for a year and a half until my wife was offered a position as an Avionics Tech Rep with Boeing, working out of McGuire AFB, N.J.

Took the job and transferred to the east coast last September. Built a house in Smyrna, DE (10 miles north of Dover), and began working for Red Eagle Avionics in January as the General Manager. Our owner is Dave Cannavo, fairly well known in the U.S. if you're big into warbirds at all. He makes frequent trips to eastern block countries to procure MiG 21, 23, 29, L29 and L39 aircraft, and whatever else he can get his hands on. We have a MiG 23 in the hangar right now that we're doing a GNS 430 and KY196 installation in. Exciting stuff! I'm in the approval process as we speak for a Repairman certificate for 91.411 and 91.413 (altimeter & transponder test and inspection). Red Eagle's plan is for me to get my PP license and procure a company aircraft so we can travel further out than we've been able to reach with our repair van to perform IFR/VFR and RVSM certifications. We'll see how that works out fairly soon. Other than that, I mainly deal with the FAA, submit 337's for installations, sales, customer service, and anything else I can get my hands on.

It's definitely strange stepping into the General Aviation realm, especially after working on C-17's and C-130's. But, I love it, and can't wait to start flying!

P.S. Sorry about the long post ... told you I could talk!

Long post is OK, it was interesting stuff, and it is good to see your bona fides. As for the license, get on after it, your credibility will soar along with your spirit.

Welcome!

---

PS- Is your outfit Martin-Certified?

SCCutler said:
PS- Is your outfit Martin-Certified?

It's definitely important for me to get the Repairman certificate. I had numerous opportunities in the Air Force to attend classes on base for an A&P, but never took advantage of it. Never thought I'd have the need for one, and for now, I'm able to perform everything Red Eagle needs me for without one.

Please expand on "Martin-Certified". This is Greek to me, and to my lead installer who's been in the biz for 40 years. Anything to do with Lockheed Martin?

Spam Spam Spam Spam ....Crosposted Spam even...BURN HIM...

Just kidding, someone had to do it.:cheerswine:

Hey, Note to POA management..... Can we do something about getting a live action flamethrower Big Smiley? Maybe in Rambo trim? We seem to be missing the flame thrower and Whack a Loon mallet.....

Jason, do a search on the board for "Martin" and look at a group of threads from mid to late June. That should clear up your question. Its not really a designation you want to have.

Welcome, I hope you get your PPL and participate in the other forums on the board as well. Its a great place and wide spread participation will really help with credibility in the classified sections. Your background is quite impressive. Glad to have you aboard.

Thanks for the kind words, Adam! Dover Aero Club on Dover AFB has a really nice deal for ex-military for a PPL. Plus, we've installed 250XL's and 430's in their 172 fleet, so I'm pretty familiar with their aircraft already.

Thanks, Tony, for the info on "Martin". And to set the record straight, NO, we are not "Martin-Certified" or have we ever been affiliated with said individual or company. :)

Henning said:
Hey, Note to POA management..... Can we do something about getting a live action flamethrower Big Smiley? Maybe in Rambo trim? We seem to be missing the flame thrower and Whack a Loon mallet.....
You find it, and we'll see. :)

Hey, I met my first wife in Charleston, SC, too!

She's still the #1 and only.

Do you ever make it back to Charleston to visit, Steve? I loved going downtown to Market St. and Battery Park during the summer! Have dinner at Wild Wing Cafe .... it was all good!:yes:

Red Eagle Avionics said:
Our owner is Dave Cannavo, fairly well known in the U.S. if you're big into warbirds at all. He makes frequent trips to eastern block countries to procure MiG 21, 23, 29, L29 and L39 aircraft, and whatever else he can get his hands on. We have a MiG 23 in the hangar right now that we're doing a GNS 430 and KY196 installation in. Exciting stuff!

OK, I'll take one MiG 17, one Mig 21, one MiG 29, two Fougas to learn in, an F-86......

One can dream.....

Here are some pictures of the warbirds that Dave Cannavo has procured, refurbished, and sold to one lucky man ... Joe Gano. Click on the link below to check out some very awesome pictures, of which credit goes to Mr. Pat Kealey, a very excellent photographer. This is Pat's website:

http://www.pbase.com/patkealey/joes_jets

The big guy in the orange t-shirt climbing the side of the red L39 is Red Eagle's owner, Dave Cannavo. He's the main man responsible for procuring the MiG's. By the way, that red L39 was flown for the first time ever in Reno at the air races last year and cleaned house in the Jet category.

All of the pictures were taken at our airport here in New Castle (KILG). The light grey and blue MiG 23 is one of only two flyable MiG 23's in the U.S. right now. On any given weekend, weather permitting, Joe Gano will pull the 21 out of the hangar and take it up for 45 minutes, come back, pull out the black L29 and take it up as well ....... every weekend ....... now there's a passion for flying!

Since Dave Cannavo is the man when it comes to eastern block aircraft, he is offering a Jet Upset Training course for any pilot who's willing to learn. 3 hours of ground training with 70 minutes of flight training, either in a L29 or 39. You can click on the link below to download the Jet Upset Training brochure from the Aero Enterprises website. Also, if you need brochures, business cards, etc. printed up, friends of mine (Professional Imaging) developed this brochure for us, and they are the best at what they do. This brochure is 3.9 MB in size, so I wouldn't recommend downloading it unless you're on high speed!

http://www.aeroenterprises.net/Jet+Upset+Training+-+New!/Downloads_GetFile.aspx?id=112

We are involved with so many cool aviation opportunities here, I love coming in to work. Isn't there some type of rule in a book somewhere against that sort of thing?? :D

RotaryWingBob said:
I'll settle for an OH-6A if they've got one, Anthony :yes:

:heli:

180hp, cruise at 150 mph ... nice choice, Bob! Not to mention that it could take massive amounts of small arms fire and still get the job done! I want mine in original Army green with standard armament.

Greetings Jason and welcome!

Thanks to you and your wife for your service to our country!

Now get to work on the PPL :)

Last edited:
RotaryWingBob said:
I'll settle for an OH-6A if they've got one, Anthony :yes:

:heli:

Ahh yes, the Loach.....

CapeCodJay said:
Greetings Jason and welcome!

Thanks to you and your wife for your service to our contry!

Now get to work on the PPL :)

Thanks for the greeting, Jay! Even though I'm no longer in the military, my wife is still in the Air National Guard here in Delaware, and as a matter of fact, just left this past Saturday for Bagram Air Base in Afghanistan. She'll only be gone for 30 days, but any time spent in that hole is time wasted, IMHO. Her recruiter keeps trying to get me to go back into the Guard again, since I just separated at the end of '05. I don't know if it's worth it, being that we have a 6 year old named Sydney who will be going into the 1st grade in September. I'm very thankful for the 10 years I spent in, but I think it's time for me and my family, and not Uncle Sam. (Although, I sure do miss the wine and beer every time I stopped in Germany!) :cheerswine:

I've got one brother in law in Summerville and another on James Island. Flown into both airports, and into Wando, which was built after we moved from there. We'd go to the Ice House or Marianne's and shop on King Street. Hanging out on summer nights at the sidewalk cafe on Meeting Street up from the Dock Street Theatre was the best. Got to see the first couple of Spoleto's while there, too. A lot has changed and a lot has stayed the same.

Sell me a GNS 480! :)

btw, we had a Loach and an AH-1 at OSH this year...

Red Eagle Avionics said:
Do you ever make it back to Charleston to visit, Steve? I loved going downtown to Market St. and Battery Park during the summer! Have dinner at Wild Wing Cafe .... it was all good!:yes:

Hey Jason - welcome aboard. I've been toying with starting an avionics business, but so far it's just been pipe dreams. Cool to see someone jump in and get something like that going.
Greg

Henning said:

And the "opening a can of worms." And Homer Simpson drooling. And the "smacking self in head" smilie.

flyingcheesehead said:
And the "opening a can of worms." And Homer Simpson drooling. And the "smacking self in head" smilie.

I like the "beats dead horse" one myself...

Steve said:
I've got one brother in law in Summerville and another on James Island. Flown into both airports, and into Wando, which was built after we moved from there. We'd go to the Ice House or Marianne's and shop on King Street. Hanging out on summer nights at the sidewalk cafe on Meeting Street up from the Dock Street Theatre was the best. Got to see the first couple of Spoleto's while there, too. A lot has changed and a lot has stayed the same.

Sell me a GNS 480! :)

btw, we had a Loach and an AH-1 at OSH this year...

I used to inline skate all around downtown (King, Meeting, Market) during the day, and then pack it up and head to Isle of Palms at night on the weekends! I haven't been back there since one of my Air Force buddies got married there in 2000. I'll have to make a trip down sometime soon.

So you want a 480, huh? Don't want to wait on the WAAS upgrade list for a 430 or 530 (which by the way has been extended until 3rd quarter of 2006, for all of you who have signed up.) Are you gonna let us install it for you as well? Stupid question to ask when I don't even know your location, I suppose. Where is Freedonia? I think I've heard of a Freedonia, California, but I'm not sure. If that's the case, I guess installing it for you is somewhat out of the question. Are you looking for factory new with warranty? You won't find too many yellow-tagged 480's.

By the way, I wish I was this guy:

buzzimg01a.jpg

:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

Red Eagle Avionics said:
We are involved with so many cool aviation opportunities here, I love coming in to work. Isn't there some type of rule in a book somewhere against that sort of thing?? :D

AMEN! I hope to never find that rule in a book anywhere. I love my job too! So much that I forget to go home many day... oh I'm hungy... well it's 6:30pm, I guess I should be hungry... guess I should go home...

Missa

Attachments

• flamethrower.gif
    flamethrower.gif
    17.7 KB · Views: 42
  • mrs_uzi_qleft1.gif
    mrs_uzi_qleft1.gif
    379 bytes · Views: 40
  • mrs_violent5.gif
    mrs_violent5.gif
    11.1 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Well, the 480 will have to wait until the hangar is finished (the airport is grading for the taxiways to the site as we type, and have managed to cut the water line and phone line, and nick the buried power conduit so far.) But, yes, I'm looking for a new 480 w/appropriate indicator and wiring, certified for IFR, in about a year. Distance is no object if the price, installed, is right. How much experience does your shop have with IAR 823's? PM me with a quote if you're up for it.
www.iar823.com :goofy:

As far as Freedonia, I refer you to http://www.filmsite.org/duck3.html

Hail, Hail, Freedonia!

Red Eagle Avionics said:

So you want a 480, huh? Don't want to wait on the WAAS upgrade list for a 430 or 530 (which by the way has been extended until 3rd quarter of 2006, for all of you who have signed up.) Are you gonna let us install it for you as well? Stupid question to ask when I don't even know your location, I suppose. Where is Freedonia? I think I've heard of a Freedonia, California, but I'm not sure. If that's the case, I guess installing it for you is somewhat out of the question. Are you looking for factory new with warranty? You won't find too many yellow-tagged 480's.

Sounds good, Steve. Nice website, by the way! Is your last name See? If so, your instrument panel is very nice, but it's missing something .... oh ya, a 480 w/ a MD200-306 CDI! The 823 is a nice looking aircraft (somewhat of a Mooney rear end, which I like as well!) Are all model 823's fully aerobatic? I love the stick as well! Reminds me of a C-17's flight control system:

image019.gif

Man, I miss working on that plane!

I don't believe we've seen an IAR 823 come through this shop, but we do have extensive experience in importing and refurbishing Eastern Block aircraft, since 1990. Like my initial post said, we're performing a GNS 430 and KY196 installation in a MiG23 as we type. A lot of experience with experimental (MiG 21, 23, 29, YAK's, L29, L39, L29 with Viper conversion). Your IAR 823 looks like it would be right at home here.

I have to head across the field today to install a TDR-90 Transponder on a Citation 550 and perform the RVSM re-cert. If I have time, I'll start on a quote for you today. Being that you're looking a year out, we'll have to re-visit the quote at that time. Our quotes are good for 30 days from date of issue. When you're ready to actually install, the price may have changed slightly. Garmin, for the most part, is fairly consistent with keeping their prices steady from year to year, which helps us do the same. For example, I quoted a 530 w/ GI-106A installation on a 172 app. 3 months ago. The guy went into annual and wanted to wait until he saw the damage on that invoice before committing to the 530. He signed the deal two days ago for $827 LESS than the original quote. How did this happen, you ask? He came in with a quote from a competitor that was $827 less than ours. We matched the price without question. If he had gone with the competitor's quote, he would have also paid $790.80 in sales tax, which would have put him within $40 of Red Eagle's original quote. He would have only received a 2-year limited warranty with them. Overall, you need to consider the total package when chosing a shop to perform your installation. Price isn't always what matters the most.

Our competitors can't match our pricing, our warranty, or our workmanship. Remember ... NO SALES TAX IN DELAWARE! Plus, we offer a limited lifetime warranty on every installation.

Anyway, we're passionate about what we do here, and hopefully we'll get to see your IAR 823 up close someday!

Gotta get going ... talk to you all later!

Here's a better picture of the C-17 flight deck with flight control stick. The box that it's mounted on top of is called a CSSA (Control Stick Sensor Assembly). It contains four sets of LVDT's (Linear Variable Differential Transducers) that can detect the force applied in all 4 directions on the stick. If the control column were to take some damage underneath the flight deck and was rendered immobile, the pilot could apply approximately 25 lbs. of force in the pitch direction on the stick to enter "force mode." The CSSA would then take the force applied to the stick and convert it to an electrical output to the flight control surface actuators for surface movement. Pretty sophisticated ... and to think I used to teach this stuff!

00064.jpg

So its like a mechanical control system with a fly by wire backup? thats interesting, backwards from most.

Close ....

It's a full EFCS (Electronic Flight Control System) fly-by-wire primary with a mechanical backup mode. The mechanical backup is paralleled with the "force mode". Triple redundant.

ah gotcha, pretty amazing aircraft at the least.

the 150s I fly have that dual redundant fancy pants thing too. no elevator? lean back to climb, forward to dive.
Cant turn? thats what they put doors on both sides for ;)

To be brief, yes, last name is See, 823's are fully aerobatic, plus they have 4 seats, and I can wait for a good price on a 480 install.

Btw, the local ANG at KJAN has several brand new C-17s on their ramp.

Steve said:
To be brief, yes, last name is See, 823's are fully aerobatic, plus they have 4 seats, and I can wait for a good price on a 480 install.

Btw, the local ANG at KJAN has several brand new C-17s on their ramp.

I heard a while back that Jackson was going to be getting C-17's. Quite an amazing aircraft if you ever have the chance to tour one. I have 4 hours stick time in the right seat .... but wait a minute, I'm not a pilot, right? A different story for a different time!

Back