Red dot recommendations (NA)

Morgan3820

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
El Conquistador
I have a Browning Buckmark 22LR that I was thinking of adding a red (green)dot to. Looking for recommendations for a decent 3 MOA red dot. Vortex Venom is around $250. I would like to keep it under $200, if possible. Swampfox brand looks interesting at $175 but I have not heard anything about them.

Tandemcross offers a red dot mount that incorporates fiber optic sights allowing a cowitness. But the Buckmark has a picrail if I want to keep it simple.

Are you using it for competition shooting or just plinking?

One consideration is parallax. (maybe not as much a concern if not shooting matches)

I use a Ultra Dot Pan A V - which has different reticles selectabke... not sure how small/large the dots are.

Note that while a red dot that automagically adjusts brightness might sound cool, it's a real PITA when the firing line is dark and the targets are brightly lit (one of the Leupold red dots does that - but that's probably way out of your price range).

One comment about the price - Like a scope, cheap is not necessarily better. Don't cheap out on optics ... unless it's just plinking...

Eithet the Vortex or the Swampfox will do fine as an entry-level red dot optic. Primary Arms may be another option to check, but you’re dealing with a slightly larger 3 MOA reticle, which may be a hindrance depending on use case. Green dots usually have a slight premium than red dots, but are more visible and crisper in daylight conditions.

For a slightly bigger budget, I’m a fan of the Holosun 507 ACSS green dots. They run about $350.

Eithet the Vortex or the Swampfox will do fine as an entry-level red dot optic. Primary Arms may be another option to check, but you’re dealing with a slightly larger 3 MOA reticle, which may be a hindrance depending on use case. Green dots usually have a slight premium than red dots, but are more visible and crisper in daylight conditions.

For a slightly bigger budget, I’m a fan of the Holosun 507 ACSS green dots. They run about $350.
What features of the Holosun justify the the extra hundred $125 over the swampfox or Vortex?

What features of the Holosun justify the the extra hundred $125 over the swampfox or Vortex?

Well it does come in green. The reticle is a dot within a circle. If you’re off target, the circle nudges you to get the dot on target.

It also does a little bit of BDC at pistol caliber ranges. For my use cases, those are useful. Probably overkill for rimfire steel challenge or plinking.

b6288203dbe637027e2740d83a263102.jpg

6d93f41ad5938d1d208d0b481589511c.jpg

996e617482a031789b1032111f8be0de.jpg

Back