Recovery Time for Exhaustion

U

Unregistered

Last week I made the mistake of trying to do it all. Up at 4:30, 2 mile/walk jog, worked full 8 (usually stressful), then down the FSDO for a couple hours of training after work.

At about 9:30 PM started to notice chills. Next morning some equilibrium problems, not hungry, chills, sore all over. Went to work but had to leave, went home and slept.

Next day (Thursday) felt OK but not 100%. Friday was 100% normal.

I was thinking about it and suspect it was exhaustion similar to heat exhaustion, but maybe without the heat (I'm obviously no doctor).

I recognize I did it to myself by overdoing it. My question is how long should I wait before flying (solo) again. I cancelled my Sat AM tailwheel and spin training. Going forward I want to be smarter about it anyway.

Any thoughts?

Not enough information to determine the cause of your symptoms. In any case, medical professionals who frequent this forum will generally not attempt to determine a diagnosis for a variety of reasons. Symptoms described may be the result of something as benign as inadequate hydration but could conceivably be the result of an infection or heart problem or something else. You may want to consider being evaluated by your local practitioner.

I think when you feel well enough. There may also have been a viral component involved. Seems to be a bit going around. Relax, drink plenty of hydrating fluids (Beer does not count...;) ) and go fly when you feel good again. If you still feel fine, fly today.

In college I experienced what you had.

I was going to school full time. I was working nearly full time. It was winter, in WI, and I had to shovel 18" of snow out of my parent's driveway half a dozen times in the last week. And I had a girlfriend.

One day I simply hit the wall. I couldn't stand without wobbling, like a drunk. I was mildly confused. I felt drugged.

I slept for nearly two days.

Those of us who think we can do it all, and believe we are damned near indestructible, hit that wall, sooner or later. Just take it easy for a few days.

When I was 17, my initial CFI told me the cure was four cups of coffee and two snickers bars from the pilot lounge.

I barfed, either from the virus or the cure, not sure which. :confused:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back