"Record" attendance in 2015

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
Just heard on the news: There were a record 16,278 aircraft operations at AirVenture this year. There were 3,153 on Thursday alone, a new single-day record as well.

As far as people, preliminary estimates before the week was over were calling for a 13% increase in attendance over last year (which had a 9% increase over 2013). Estimated total attendance: 550,000.

Just heard on the news: There were a record 16,278 aircraft operations at AirVenture this year. There were 3,153 on Thursday alone, a new single-day record as well.

As far as people, preliminary estimates before the week was over were calling for a 13% increase in attendance over last year (which had a 9% increase over 2013). Estimated total attendance: 550,000.

Awesome! One of the Flightline Ops Co-chairmen thought a daily aircraft record was set, but couldn't confirm it.

Good sign that interest in GA may be on the way back

Yada, yada, yada... I believe the aircraft movement numbers because they can be confirmed. As for the "attendance", they set a "record" every year. Even when aviation was in the dumper, "record" attendance. Even if the record is "more left-handed Lithuanians than ever before", the EAA has a bounden duty to report "record" attendance.

I thought that crap would stop when Pope Paul stepped down. Then when Cardinal Tom stepped down. Then when HighLowtower stepped down. Seems like it is part of the EAA fabric to fabricate.

Jim

Yada, yada, yada... I believe the aircraft movement numbers because they can be confirmed. As for the "attendance", they set a "record" every year. Even when aviation was in the dumper, "record" attendance. Even if the record is "more left-handed Lithuanians than ever before", the EAA has a bounden duty to report "record" attendance.

I thought that crap would stop when Pope Paul stepped down. Then when Cardinal Tom stepped down. Then when HighLowtower stepped down. Seems like it is part of the EAA fabric to fabricate.

Jim

I believe it. We have NEVER seen it so full on Sunday. They were parking people around the depature end of RWY 27 when we arrived at our usual (actually a bit earlier than usual) time, which is at least 10 more rows of airplanes than usual by that time.

That works out to ~200 more aircraft in the North 40 than usual, by that time/day. I heard that Vintage and Homebuilt were the same.

Part of it, methinks, was the perfect weather (and forecasted weather) on Sunday. This was absolutely the best weather we have EVER has at Oshkosh, with cool nights and warm, sunny days for the entire week.

I want to go back! ;)

I believe it. We have NEVER seen it so full on Sunday. They were parking people around the depature end of RWY 27 when we arrived at our usual (actually a bit earlier than usual) time, which is at least 10 more rows of airplanes than usual by that time.

That works out to ~200 more aircraft in the North 40 than usual, by that time/day. I heard that Vintage and Homebuilt were the same.

Part of it, methinks, was the perfect weather (and forecasted weather) on Sunday. This was absolutely the best weather we have EVER has at Oshkosh, with cool nights and warm, sunny days for the entire week.

I want to go back! ;)

We had more than normal number of GA Campers who were put into GAP for a few days until spots opened up, and wanting to start up and taxi into camping.

That being said, Fond du Lac seemed LESS crowded than in years past. I'm not sure what to make of that.

Either way, the fly-in and walk-in crowds were huge, and that's significant as we didn't have the Thunderbirds like last year.

That being said, Fond du Lac seemed LESS crowded than in years past. I'm not sure what to make of that.

I take that as a good sign.

I'm always amazed when I meet pilots who have flown over a thousand miles to attend Airventure, only to get cold feet and stop just short, landing at an outlying field.

Landing at Fond Du Lac is sort of like kissing your sister. It's sorta the same, but ain't.
; )

As far as attendance, and unless they have changed it, a weekly wrist band counted as 7 people.

As far as attendance, and unless they have changed it, a weekly wrist band counted as 7 people.

Makes sense to me. Actually, I really don't care if they take attendance or not. Kind of meaningless except to EAA HQ.

Back