recommended shop for turn coordinator overhaul

coma24

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
coma24
My S-TEC turn coordinator (used in a S-TEC 50 system) could use some attention. Any recommendations for a good shop to work on it?

My S-TEC turn coordinator (used in a S-TEC 50 system) could use some attention. Any recommendations for a good shop to work on it?

We had Kings Avionics in New Century, KS overhaul our autopilot servos and then later had them overhaul/refurbish a King radio. Prices were very good, the work expertly done, and the jobs came in at the quoted price.

I'd use them again in a heartbeat.

http://www.kingsavionics.net/Home

Mid-Continent Instruments in Wichita also does good work. Not the cheapest but you get what you pay for. Don't know if they work on s-tec stuff though.

On the other end of the spectrum is Aircraft Quality Instruments in Wichita. I sent nearly every instrument in my panel to them to OH when I bought my 182. They had great prices. I was stupid.

Literally every instrument they overhauled had to be overhauled again or replaced within three years.

I now have seven nice aviation themed paperweights on my desk with their sticker on top. At least that makes it easy to remember their name!

Thanks, Bill, I spoke with them and was happy with the interaction. It sounds like a very simple fix for the turn coordinator, so I'll move ahead with it.

On the other end of the spectrum is Aircraft Quality Instruments in Wichita. I sent nearly every instrument in my panel to them to OH when I bought my 182. They had great prices. I was stupid.

Literally every instrument they overhauled had to be overhauled again or replaced within three years.

Goes to show that experiences differ I guess. I've flown behind numerous gyros and pitot/static instruments that have been overhauled by Aircraft Quality Instruments and always recommend them when someone has an issue with a gyro. I am not aware of a single failure on anything they've overhauled. I can think of 5 or 6 planes off-hand that are a few years into flying behind their overhauled instruments.

The altimeter in my Flybaby was overhauled by them for like $300 about three years ago now and still looks brand new.

Thanks, Bill, I spoke with them and was happy with the interaction. It sounds like a very simple fix for the turn coordinator, so I'll move ahead with it.

Good deal, I hope it works out well for you. I talked with their autopilot expert several times before sending the servos and was impressed with his knowledge of the system.

Goes to show that experiences differ I guess. I've flown behind numerous gyros and pitot/static instruments that have been overhauled by Aircraft Quality Instruments and always recommend them when someone has an issue with a gyro. I am not aware of a single failure on anything they've overhauled. I can think of 5 or 6 planes off-hand that are a few years into flying behind their overhauled instruments.

The altimeter in my Flybaby was overhauled by them for like $300 about three years ago now and still looks brand new.

That's interesting. Here's a few of mine:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    660.3 KB · Views: 65
I guess that begs the question, how long should an overhaul last? I don't know.

One thing my avionics shop educated me on was that there is (or at least was) no definiton as to what constitutes an instrument overhaul. To prove this to me, they got a quote from both mid-continent and aircraft quality to OH a few instruments along with a detailed list of what would be done. MC's list was far longer. Wish I still had that doc, and I might have it somewhere, but that was 2006, so I'd be hard pressed to lay hands on it...conveniently.

Attitude Indicator, VSI, Altimeter, Airpeed Indicator, Carb Temp (not OHed, just removed to install the engine monitor).

I think I have a DG (OHed) CHT (removed for fuel totalizer) and...something else...at the hangar...maybe an old MP gage.

I've been through just about all of them since '04.

Attitude Indicator, VSI, Altimeter, Airpeed Indicator, Carb Temp (not OHed, just removed to install the engine monitor).

I think I have a DG (OHed) CHT (removed for fuel totalizer) and...something else...at the hangar...maybe an old MP gage.

I've been through just about all of them since '04.

Pretty amazing that all failed in such a short period of time.

The VSI lasted about 6 years. The rest only a few.

I just broke down and bought new when stuff failed. Haven't had an issue since.

Pretty much! :)

My turn and bank is still humming along. It's a Brittian. (sp?)

I *think* it's the only one.

Pretty amazing that all failed in such a short period of time.

No kidding. In the 10+ years the family has had the cardinal the altimeter failed an IFR cert but a VFR pilot wouldn't notice it. Tach (and cable) broke last year.

The horizon, airspeed, and VSI look like they are about 40 years old and still work fine. :dunno:

We had Kings Avionics in New Century, KS overhaul our autopilot servos and then later had them overhaul/refurbish a King radio. Prices were very good, the work expertly done, and the jobs came in at the quoted price.

I'd use them again in a heartbeat.

http://www.kingsavionics.net/Home

I shopped around for an overhaul of my HSI with King Avionics (now Butler Avionics), Mid Continent and Aircraft Quality Instruments.

I opted for King/Butler and had a great experience. The HSI went back in the airplane today and I look forward to seeing the result during the test flight after the World's Longest Condition Inspection(tm) comes to a close.

Mid-Continent Instruments in Wichita also does good work. Not the cheapest but you get what you pay for. Don't know if they work on s-tec stuff though.

I now have seven nice aviation themed paperweights on my desk with their sticker on top. At least that makes it easy to remember their name!

Intersting. Others seem to have had better experience with those guys.

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82564

Back