Recommended Flight Instructor in NW Indiana

SuBPaR

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
SuBPaR
Appreciate the guidance of the folks here. I have spent the last week or two lurking and have made a decision to embark on the journey to a PPL.

KVPZ is the closest to me and see Eagle and DonnAir are the two options. Any strong opinions here either way or does it come down solely to the instructor? DonnAir seems to use Piper Warrior II and Eagle a 172.

I work several days each week in downtown Chicago so unsure if anything else between NW Indiana and Chicago made sense.

Thanks in Advance!

EDIT - Some background info: No interest in Commercial, longer term want to get IFR and perhaps ME.

Last edited:
Do you have an airplane in which to train, or do you need the instructor to provide the aircraft?

Appreciate the guidance of the folks here. I have spent the last week or two lurking and have made a decision to embark on the journey to a PPL.

KVPZ is the closest to me and see Eagle and DonnAir are the two options. Any strong opinions here either way or does it come down solely to the instructor? DonnAir seems to use Piper Warrior II and Eagle a 172.

I work several days each week in downtown Chicago so unsure if anything else between NW Indiana and Chicago made sense.

Thanks in Advance!

EDIT - Some background info: No interest in Commercial, longer term want to get IFR and perhaps ME.

I fly out of Chicago exec in the northern burbs of chicago. It's close to ORD. I can make some good recommendations if you PM me.

Do you have an airplane in which to train, or do you need the instructor to provide the aircraft?

@Ron,

I need a plane to train in - sorry that wasn't clear.

@CPA

Out towards O'Hare is a bit far for me - about 75 miles from home.

I certainly plan to go meet folks and do a test ride first to make sure I feel good about the operation and instructor. That said, I am trying to use the knowledge of this group to my benefit to improve the search.

bump...

Any sense in working through Ground School now while the weather is less suitable and waiting until late Spring to complete the flying portion? Winds here through Winter and Spring can be rather tough (20-30 MPH gusting to 45 MPH) so finishing later might be more achievable?!?

I can vouch that weather is sucking around here lately for learning to fly!

I'm training at KPPO...

Well - seems nobody has much to add...

@Jason - Who are you using from Ground School? LaPorte is certainly an option over Valpo but about 40 minutes further...

I will pm you details.

If you're closest to VPZ, why not just start there? Individual compatibility with instructors is a personal consideration, so an instructor who matches well to someone else may not do as well for you.

I think that Eagle and DonnAir have been around VPZ for quite a while. I did a rental check out at one of them many years ago (maybe 15). Another consideration may be the availability of aircraft for more advanced certificates and ratings. In the metro area where I now reside, there is only one flight school with a complex aircraft, and they're also the only one with a twin.

I'm not sure what your aspirations are, but in my opinion, the Commercial certificate is a better goal than ME. Commercial will make you a better pilot, and ME is useless without it, unless you plan to own and privately fly your own twin. In that case, I wonder why unless frequent FIKI or water crossings are part of your missions.

JKG

KRZL-Jasper County in Renesslear uses a Grumman Tiger as a trainer. The instructor there is great! Little far for you but I think it's worth looking into.

Can't help you but I learned to fly at Valpo in 1969 in Murvihill's J3

Have fun

Back