Reckless Driving Ticket

U

Unregistered

I recently got cited for speeding (60/35) and reckless driving in Virginia.

I'm going to get an attorney and fight it but assuming I can't get reckless driving thrown out, do I have to notify the FAA of this?

OP here. In VA a reckless driving conviction is a misdemeanor same category as DUI even if no alcohol is involved.

OP here. In VA a reckless driving conviction is a misdemeanor same category as DUI even if no alcohol is involved.

As I understand 61.15(c), if no alcohol or drug was involved, then the reporting requirement of 61.15(e) does not apply.

The instructions for the medical form 8500-8 seem to change occasionally so you might have to report a conviction on your next medical. The requirements of 61.15(c) do not support any demands that the medical branch makes on form 8500-8, but consistency with other regulations have never stopped them from asking whatever they like.

First, I am assuming there was no alcohol involved (you didn't say that, but one must clarify). If there was, things change.

As it stands now, unless your driving privileges are suspended or revoked as a result of conviction on that reckless driving charge, or as a result of this situation you attend "driver's school" (or whatever they call it there), there will be no need to report this to the FAA at all. With no alcohol involved, you would still have to report a suspension/revocation or driver's school attendance on your next medical application in block 18v and explain it in the space below. Bruce can correct me if I'm wrong, but one single traffic offense with neither alcohol or "driver's school" will not even cause a hiccup on your medical renewal.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter -- box 18w only asks about "nontraffic convictions (felonies or misdemeanors)", so you won't need to check that box no matter how this turns out.

...unless, of course you do something really crazy in the courtroom and get nailed for disorderly conduct or the like. :wink2:

Doesn't matter -- box 18w only asks about "nontraffic convictions (felonies or misdemeanors)", so you won't need to check that box no matter how this turns out.

...unless, of course you do something really crazy in the courtroom and get nailed for disorderly conduct or the like. :wink2:

OP here--Ron- thanks very much.

Va law is very weird when it comes to reckless driving and to complicate it I was driving on federal land. So in essence, I am charged with a federal class A misdemeanor. If convicted, that misdemeanor would stay on my record forever. But it is clearly traffic related and as you observed seems to fall outside the purview of the question.

Now what happens if they impose a suspension of my drivers license?

Now what happens if they impose a suspension of my drivers license?
Then you have to report it on your next FAA medical application by checking box 18v "yes" and explaining in the space below. What ramifications that has would be best answered by Bruce Chien.

It is no wonder kids today are foregoing driving for as long as possible. Four wheel freedom machines have turned into oppression machines.

Not stopping for a school bus is now a reckless driving charge in Virginia.

OP here--

I have retained counsel and will let you know how it goes. But yes, VA driving laws are the worst.

OP here--

I have retained counsel and will let you know how it goes. But yes, VA driving laws are the worst.

My mom rear ended a minivan in stop and go traffic at about 5mph and the virginia trooper cited her for reckless driving. The charge was dropped but she had to get a lawyer and go to court etc...

I was in the car at the time, about 14 years old. It was nothing more than a fender bender. Ridiculous.

My mom rear ended a minivan in stop and go traffic at about 5mph and the virginia trooper cited her for reckless driving. The charge was dropped but she had to get a lawyer and go to court etc...

I was in the car at the time, about 14 years old. It was nothing more than a fender bender. Ridiculous.

Wow, should have just been an ACDA ticket and an accident report for insurance

yeah,
she should have been written up for simply Pilot Error

Slightly off-topic, but what if you live in a state like Arizona where you can take driving school to get the ticket to disappear? We're talking normal 2pt speeding tickets. Do you have to report that?

Slightly off-topic, but what if you live in a state like Arizona where you can take driving school to get the ticket to disappear? We're talking normal 2pt speeding tickets. Do you have to report that?

The safe answer is yes, based on how they worded the question. A simple explanation that explicitly states no alcohol involved and it'll be a yawn.

The safe answer is yes, based on how they worded the question. A simple explanation that explicitly states no alcohol involved and it'll be a yawn.
The question to which you refer is 18v, and as it is worded (and explained in the instructions), the only answer is absolutely yes.

To clarify, under certain circumstances Arizona lets a person choose to take driving school prior to a court date and then the ticket will be dismissed without any admission or finding of guilt. The person is not required to take the class.

I hate tickets for auto collisions, unless someone was really behaving recklessly, but the VA State Police have a standing order to give reckless tickets for nearly 100% of collisions.

My friend's teenage daughter hit a deer late in the evening when she was on her way home from work and totaled her car. She got a reckless ticket because, as the trooper put it, she was "going too fast for road conditions, if she had been driving slower she would have been able to stop or avoid the deer." Yeah, right. Virginia sheriffs are usually much cooler about this, and only cite in collisions where someone was clearly behaving carelessly.

Nothing beats the US Park Police though. Many years ago my Dad was driving to work on the GW Parkway. He was behind a panel van, the rear doors of which popped open. The load of newspapers inside the van started blowing out, several of which landed, and remained stuck to, the windshield, completely blocking his view. As he braked, he missed a curve in the road, and drifted into / sideswiped the car in the next lane. The newspaper van was never seen again.

The USPP officer who arrived at the scene to write up the collision cited my Dad for "colliding". Yes, that's an actual charge.

Sorry, I got so caught up in my story that I forgot to answer the question...

FAA Form 8500-8 said:
(2) history of any arrest(s), and/or conviction(s), and/or administrative action(s) involving an offense(s) which resulted in the denial, suspension, cancellation, or revocation of driving privileges or which resulted in attendance at an educational or a rehabilitation program.
(emphasis added)

If the driver improvement school was related to a specific offense, then you have to report it. For example, if the judge says "your fine for this ticket is $100 and 2 points. If you take driver school, you won't get the points."

In Virginia, driver improvement school is an option for anybody at any time, and always gives you a 2 point credit. So I could take the ticket and points, and a month later go to driver school, and get 2 points credit, and end up right back where I started. The difference in my second example is that the court didn't offer me a plea bargain - school for points - but I chose on my own to do it. I wouldn't have to report this.

Regardless, if it's a simple speeding ticket, your AME will ask you to explain, and then quickly move on when you give him the explanation. If you want to be paranoid, and don't mind wasting $10, get a print out of your DMV record. I did when I went for my medical because I have a very old (20+ years) suspension, and I was afraid he would defer me to research it. But in the end he could not have possibly cared less and didn't want to see my paperwork even after I offered it to him.

In Virginia, driver improvement school is an option for anybody at any time, and always gives you a 2 point credit. So I could take the ticket and points, and a month later go to driver school, and get 2 points credit, and end up right back where I started. The difference in my second example is that the court didn't offer me a plea bargain - school for points - but I chose on my own to do it. I wouldn't have to report this.
Did you get that from the FAA Chief Counsel, or an attorney with an aviation practice, or is that just your own guess? Personally, I don't think the FAA Chief Counsel would agree with your legal logic, since the attendance did result from the ticket -- without the ticket, and the points it accrued, you would never have taken the class (ask an attorney about the "but for" test). Absent a Chief Counsel agreement with your logic, omit that attendance at your own serious legal risk.

That said, I discussed the original issue today with a Virginia-licensed attorney familiar with this problem. He said that the reckless charge is automatic for any speeding offense more than 15 over the limit, and the only way to beat the reckless charge is to hire an attorney hooked into the local judiciary where the case is being tried. Other than that, you will eat that reckless charge.

Last edited:
Did you get that from the FAA Chief Counsel, or an attorney with an aviation practice, or is that just your own guess? Personally, I don't think the FAA Chief Counsel would agree with your legal logic, since the attendance did result from the ticket -- without the ticket, and the points it accrued, you would never have taken the class (ask an attorney about the "but for" test). Absent a Chief Counsel agreement with your logic, omit that attendance at your own serious legal risk.

That said, I discussed the original issue today with a Virginia-licensed attorney familiar with this problem. He said that the reckless charge is automatic for any speeding offense more than 15 over the limit, and the only way to beat the reckless charge is to hire an attorney hooked into the local judiciary where the case is being tried. Other than that, you will eat that reckless charge.

Okay so if I understand right let's say you get a one or two point speeding ticket (infraction) and you aren't at a point count where your license could be suspended. You decide to eat the points and not attend traffic school. You don't report it. Then you do decide to attend traffic school. You now have to report it?

What if you don't attend traffic school, but you complete an online course?

Did you get that from the FAA Chief Counsel, or an attorney with an aviation practice...

Of course not, nor do I intend to ask the Chief Counsel. But you've got to understand the way the system works in VA. Assessment of "demerit points" and "merit points" are completely seperate from the court system. The court will NEVER offer you traffic school as part of a plea arrangement or sentence deal in VA traffic court. If you have a standard speeding ticket, the DMV assesses the points based on the charge you are found guilty of. The judge can't bargain away your points, outside of lowering the charge (for example, offering you guilty of 5-10 over, when you were really going 12 over). Every charge has an associated number of points, which are assessed by the DMV.

You always have the option of takin traffic school, and if you do, a report goes to the DMV, which will give you "merit points" based on your attendance. Your individual point balance can be positive, or negative.

Things change when you're talking about criminal code violations like DUI, but for simple traffic citatations, that's how it works. In the end you never "erase the points" by taking traffic school, but you can offset the negative points from a conviction with positive points.

As always, YYMV, IAMAL, and never listen to SGOTI.

Your attorney is full of excrement. Actually there are a list of things that CAN trigger a reckless in VA but it is not automatic. Further any speed over 80 can be reckless otherwise it depends on the actual limit as to how much over is the trigger. You can also get a reckless for not signaling.

Nearly everyone who has a halfway decent record can get a reduction to careless or less for driving school (unless you were doing 100 or racing). However, every GDC is different so it would behoove you to at least consult a local arty.

Okay so if I understand right let's say you get a one or two point speeding ticket (infraction) and you aren't at a point count where your license could be suspended. You decide to eat the points and not attend traffic school. You don't report it. Then you do decide to attend traffic school. You now have to report it?

What if you don't attend traffic school, but you complete an online course?
It says "conviction...which resulted attendance at an educational or rehabilitation program." It doesn't differentiate between in-person and electronic attendance, and it doesn't set a time limit between the conviction and the program. The fact remains that you would not have done the program if you hadn't been convicted (the old "but for" test that lawyers love so much). Beyond that, if you want to play semantics games with the Federal government, go right ahead, but don't expect it to end well for you.

Your attorney is full of excrement. Actually there are a list of things that CAN trigger a reckless in VA but it is not automatic. Further any speed over 80 can be reckless otherwise it depends on the actual limit as to how much over is the trigger. You can also get a reckless for not signaling.
You may be correct in theory, but I'm pretty sure this attorney is correct in practice.

Of course not, nor do I intend to ask the Chief Counsel. But you've got to understand the way the system works in VA.
No, you have to understand the way the FAA legal folks think. Since they get to determine what their own regulations mean, what you or anyone believes about Virginia law just doesn't matter when it comes to question 18v on FAA Form 8500-8.

I asked, remember? unless you're sentenced to school, attending thd school is not reportable.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

In Upstate New York, if you slide off the road in the winter, you'll usually get a ticket if law enforcement responds, unless you say that you were avoiding a deer, other animal, kid on a sled, etc. when the officer asks you what happened.

Unless it's obvious that you were driving recklessly or you get snotty with the cop, the charge usually will be Stopping or Parking on Pavement (VTL 1201a). It's a zero-point violation that most people won't bother to fight (especially if they're from out of town), so it's easy revenue. The fine is usually $100.00 if you plead guilty by mail, or more if you're found guilty after a trial, which said outcome is a virtual certainty in New York traffic courts unless you hire an attorney.

-Rich

I asked, remember? unless you're sentenced to school, attending thd school is not reportable.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Tim, post the counsel's response again, would you? I can't seem to get to it to come up on the O&I page....

Last edited:
No, they told you that if attendance was purely voluntary (and they went to some length to emphasize that point) it was not reportable. That's not the same as what you said above, and is subject to FAA interpretation. If you're doing it to take off your record points that were assessed because of a conviction, the FAA can still consider that not purely voluntary, and say it's a result of the conviction.

The capricious nature of administrative law not withstanding, it is voluntary by definition. Voluntary and compensated.

States refer to them as voluntary in recognition of there ability to understand the meaning of this word.

The question is whether you want to count on common sense, or any sense for that matter, from the faa when they have you in their cross hairs.

It is here where Ron's concerns have merit, reference capricious.

It never would have occurred to me that an optional traffic school would be reportable. The logic of reporting the school attendance when the underlying traffic infraction isn't is beyond me. I wonder how many people do report them. I doubt very many.

It never would have occurred to me that an optional traffic school would be reportable.
The question on the form says "as a result," not "mandatory." The fact that you had several options does not change the fact that but for the traffic infraction, you would never have attended that educational program.

The logic of reporting the school attendance when the underlying traffic infraction isn't is beyond me.
It is because the FAA sees a correlation in pilots between bad decisions behind the wheel and bad decisions in the air. If your traffic offense history is sufficient to motivate the state which issued your DL to give you some remedial driver training, the FAA wants to look at the situation further in order to determine whether your judgment and decision-making are bad enough to create a flying safety concern.

It is because the FAA sees a correlation in pilots between bad decisions behind the wheel and bad decisions in the air. If your traffic offense history is sufficient to motivate the state which issued your DL to give you some remedial driver training, the FAA wants to look at the situation further in order to determine whether your judgment and decision-making are bad enough to create a flying safety concern.
And that logic would make sense if you were specifically offered the remedial training as an option because of your specific infraction. But it sounds as if the OP lives in a state where the remedial training is ALWAYS an option and you get credit for it to offset points on your record whether you need them or not. In that case there is no demonstrable connection between any specific infraction and attendance at remedial training, so how said attendance would have any bearing on your judgment and decision making is beyond me.

I don't live in VA, have never driven there, and have no idea whether this is true or not. But that's what I gather from post #25 in this thread. And if it's true, and that really is the FAA's position on this, then it's totally ridiculous.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back