Recent News @ UAL

Steve

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Fly Right
Some excerpts:

CHICAGO—In its ongoing effort to cut transportation costs and boost profits, United Airlines announced Tuesday that it was exploring the feasibility of herding them into planes and stacking them like cordwood from floor to ceiling.

"If a 747's maximum takeoff weight is 875,000 pounds, then we should be packing that plane with 875,000 pounds,"

"After much trial and error, we've found the most efficient way to stack them is to start with a base of large ones, then put down a layer of medium ones, then fill up all the holes with the smaller ones," operations manager Gary Brown said. "The really tiny ones are great for cramming up in the corners."

Acknowledging concerns that some of them suffer from a fear of flying, the airline announced that it will soon begin forcibly tranquilizing all of them upon arrival at the check-in gate and attaching a small $45 sedation surcharge.

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/united_airlines_exploring

Wasn't one of the third-world countries considering standing-room-only in its airline?

Wasn't one of the third-world countries considering standing-room-only in its airline?
In the early days of China opening to the west I was privileged to fly domestically a few times. On one flight we did take off with SRO passengers. There had even been a fist fight at the gate to get on. After that I learned how to use the rail system for in country transport or use an international carrier, go to Hong Kong, grab another international carrier and return to the city in China I needed to go to.

Back