Reboot

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
Why do I have to reboot every time after I recieve and respond to a PM? This started within the last several weeks.

My keyboard is locked out and the cursor looks like a hand with one finger pointing (Link Select) but the mouse won't work.

Last edited:
Richard said:
Why do I have to reboot every time after I recieve and respond to a PM? This started within the last several weeks.

My keyboard is locked out and the cursor looks like a hand with one finger pointing but the mouse won't work.

Which finger?

Before assuming there's a virus, try clearing your browser cache and cookies.

If the issue persists, then start scanning for malware.

Depending on what level your PM software is at, there may be a bug in it which causes the issue. You could try upgrading to TRILLIAN. There is a free ware version or a PRO version you can purchase. You get to have a single interface with AIM, AOL, IRC, YAHOO, and MS.

Check here for details: http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/learn/

Possible: could be an issue with your mouse. You might try reinstalling the driver.

Spyware is another issue. Usually, it manages to slow the browser down enough as to make it look like it hung. Killing the browser might save you a reboot. Use the task manager and "end task" the browser.

I'm assuming you are talking about a PM on this forum.

If that is the case.. That is an odd thing to happen.

Which browser are you using? Is the mouse PS2 or USB?

Have you looked in the event view?

Start -> Control Panel -> Administrator Tools (must have it set to classic view if you don't see this) -> Event Viewer

See if there is anything in there that corelates to the same time.

Michael said:
Which finger?
Michael, king of the one liners. Tis a sign of genius! Pretty funny although I can't say I didn't ask for it. I know less than anyone about these infernal blasted machines.

Greebo said:
Before assuming there's a virus, try clearing your browser cache and cookies.

If the issue persists, then start scanning for malware.
Slow down. You're talking to a nimcompoop here. How do I do all that?

Last edited:
Richard said:
Slow down. You're talking to a nimcompoop here. How do I do all that?
Ok - first we'll need to know what operating system and browser you are using.

Are you using:
- Windows 95
- Windows 98
- Windows ME
- Windows XP
- Windows 2000
- Something else

Are you using:
- Internet Explorer
- Mozilla Firefox
- Something else?

If you know what version of your browser you are using, we'll need to know that as well.

Also - could you please spell out in detail exactly what you're doing when you find yourself forced to reboot, and how you go about rebooting. By detail I mean that I'd like you to give me a step by step checklist style rundown, detailing what you're seeing, what you're clicking on, and the exact behavior you're seeing when you do each thing. (If the behavior is normal, you can just say the behavior is normal).

Example:
- I open up internet explorer - normal
- I go to the favorites menu and select this website-normal
- I see the news page - normal
- A popup is displayed telling me I have a private message. I'm asked if I want to view it now. I click OK - normal
- A window displays saying its downloading a file - ABNORMAL
- The computer starts playing "Stars and Stripes Forever" as performed by a band of barking dogs. - JUST PLAIN WRONG

Thanks!

Back