Really cool ad

I'd cross over in a flippin' heartbeat, if I could afford helicopters!!! :yes: :yes:
I must admit that I've considered using a helicopter for commuting to work but in (my) reality it wouldn't really work. I do have plenty of room at my home (about 5 acres) and my immediate neighbors wouldn't complain, but I'd probably get into some kind of fight with the city about it. Then there's the little problem of a landing site at work. The parking lot would work if it weren't for all those stupid cars! Finally, given the time required for a decent preflight inspection, securing the craft etc. it probably wouldn't save any time except when the traffic is really snarled up. Unfortunately most of the things that mess up the traffic that badly would preclude helicopter flight as well.

Eh, mediocre ad. Now if that was an S76 it would get really cool ad status.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Next time I'm taxiing my vertically handicapped airplane, I'll shut down an engine and think of you...feel free to do the same :p

UH-60 -- I don't know why you would want to but OK....see ya later.. Might as well take off too!!!(Only on a cool day, if it's warm...it'll need one of them ahhh... runways):cheerswine:

Stretch away! :)

You bet, but one of the many cool things they don't teach PP and CP students is how to shorten (unstretch?) the glide. Going to overshoot the backyard you're aiming for? Pull the stick back and slow to about 40 KIAS. It's like slamming on the brakes!

You bet, but one of the many cool things they don't teach PP and CP students is how to shorten (unstretch?) the glide. Going to overshoot the backyard you're aiming for? Pull the stick back and slow to about 40 KIAS. It's like slamming on the brakes!

I would recommend kicking it out of trim.....it depends on the airframe...getting too slow the decel will not be enough to keep rotor rpm sustained for the flare and cushion. The two airframes i've flown (Bell 206, and UH-60) 40 KIAS is too slow and will cause you to look for vertebrae in the weeds. The Bell you could probably circle the landing zone about 20 times.:goofy:

I would recommend kicking it out of trim.....it depends on the airframe...getting too slow the decel will not be enough to keep rotor rpm sustained for the flare and cushion. The two airframes i've flown (Bell 206, and UH-60) 40 KIAS is too slow and will cause you to look for vertebrae in the weeds. The Bell you could probably circle the landing zone about 20 times.:goofy:

It works in Robinson R44s (I've never tried it in an R22). You have to get the energy back though around 200 AGL by pushing the cyclic forward and getting back up to around 65 KIAS. Also, you're trading airspeed for RPM when you pull the stick back to slow down. The trick was taught to me by a high hours DPE who we use for recurrent training.

As an aside, Robinson recently published a safety notice which advised of possible TR damage from out of trim flight.

Works in the S92 as well. Just better get the speed back to 85 for the flare or the rotor decay is excessive.

I did a few autos in the 206 where after touchdown, we picked it back up and did a left pedal turn 90 degrees and back down.

Last edited:
Now that's pretty damn funny. French or not, that's funny.

I've been trying to convince my wife of the merits of rotary-wing flight. She needs to go to Madison NJ several times a month. Currently she either drives or hitches a ride on the corp chopper (an S76), but she still doesn't rate full reservation privileges. I've tried to explain to her how convenient it would be to pop off our back yard, and 25mins later be in Madison, no reservation necessary. At this point she still hasn't signed off on the concept.

That's what I get for marrying a CFO.

Nah, we fling wingers tend to stick together. I think it has something to do wtih that labotomy we've had......

Maybe that's what it is -- I feel like I'm missing something but can't remember what it is :D

Actually, I figure we have to stick together -- there's 20 times as many of THEM as there is of US!

Maybe that's what it is -- I feel like I'm missing something but can't remember what it is :D

Actually, I figure we have to stick together -- there's 20 times as many of THEM as there is of US!

And that goes back to the observation of "If helicopters are so safe, why aren't there more vintage helicopter fly-ins??"

curious bob, in soaring there are something like 30 of 'them' for each one of 'us'. but i would estimate that a large number of 'us' are also 'them'. how many helo pilots do you encounter that are helo only? or do most also have fixed wing ratings?

curious bob, in soaring there are something like 30 of 'them' for each one of 'us'. but i would estimate that a large number of 'us' are also 'them'. how many helo pilots do you encounter that are helo only? or do most also have fixed wing ratings?

Tony, I don't know how representative the pilots I know well are. It seems like many of the older pilots I know transitioned from fixed-wing (not all certainly -- there's lots of pilots who learned to fly at Mother Rucker, and other helicopter schools in the military). Most of the younger pilots I know have rotorcraft ratings only.

I know very few pilots who actively fly both. Personally, I quit flying airplanes because I didn't think it was much fun. There's a safety aspect too -- there are certain things you can routinely do in an airplane tat are guaranteed to kill you in a helicopter (low G maneuvers in a semirigid rotor system ship, for example) and vice versa (uncoordinated turns leading to a stall-spin, for example).

And that goes back to the observation of "If helicopters are so safe, why aren't there more vintage helicopter fly-ins??"
But there are! The Rotorfest at the American Helicopter Museum, for example, attracts some vintage ships -- Bell 47s, VN era OH-6As and UH-1s. Virtually every part on a helicopter has life limits. If you fly it long enough everything gets replaced or overhauled at one time or another. I'm not sure how long the 47 has been out of production (but it's a long time for sure), but there's a guy at KLNS who has three of them which constitute the entire fleet at his flight school.

how many helo pilots do you encounter that are helo only? or do most also have fixed wing ratings?
One of my helicopter CFIs was rotor only. He had learned in the Army. The other one was dual-rated but decided to go the helicopter route. I thought briefly about switching from fixed-wing to helo about 10 years ago but the whole job situation greatly favored fixed wing, for me at least. I have not flown a helicopter in about 8 years and many people I know and work with aren't aware that I have I have a commercial add-on or have flown helicopters at all. I don't really talk about it unless there is reason to mention it or if someone takes a close look at my pilot's certificate and makes some kind of comment.

Back