Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
  • FAR/AIM
  • Part 61, 91
  • Aviation Weather
  • Airplane Flying Handbook
These are just some of the "required reading" that aviators should read. How many of us have read them? I certainly wouldn't think a day-1 student pilot has read them all cover to cover, however I think Cap'n Ron probably has read all the FAA pubs cover to cover and likely reviews them, they don't collect dust on his bedside table. He exhibits a wealth of knowledge of where references can be found and it clearly shows from years of familiarity with the material.

By what level in someone's flying career is it "expected" or customary to have read these tomes? Also, I would expect that the FAA literacy rate might be higher for online forum participants than non-participants.

Is there a check-in-the-box that a CFI must have read these? Even honor system?

Have there been any studies or statistics retained for this?

What do you think?

• FAR/AIM
  • Part 61, 91
  • Aviation Weather
  • Airplane Flying Handbook
These are just some of the "required reading" that aviators should read.
By what level in someone's flying career is it "expected" or customary to have read these tomes?
I'd say about the time they show up for their initial practical test (Sport/Rec/Pvt) -- at least the information in them applicable to that level of certification.

Is there a check-in-the-box that a CFI must have read these? Even honor system?
Indirectly -- if you don't know what's in all the ones you listed, and don't refer to them during your initial CFI oral, you'll never pass that oral.

And the glider flying handbook, if you want to learn about "Wench Launching"...

Don't forget the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge.
To be fair, the PHAK is essentially the "Cliff's Notes" version of all the others rolled into one book. If you've read them all, you've already seen everything in the PHAK, and seen it in more detail. But it's still a great quick reference book, and if you aren't going to read them all, at least read that one.

By what level in someone's flying career is it "expected" or customary to have read these tomes?
FAR 1, 61, 91, NTSB 830 and AIM before PPL check ride.

Other parts of the FAR (possible exception of 121, 141) and aforementioned FAA publications by time of attaining minimum requirements listed under Pt 61 Subpart F. Included is most of every Aviation Circulars.

Move to the head of the class if you've read and understood Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators.

Last edited:
Back